by Julieanne Kost

Comments (7)

Created

September 10, 2012

• Clicking the eye icon next to any layer on the Layers panel will hide/show the layer.

• Option + (Mac) | Alt  + (Win) -clicking on the eye icon hides/shows all other layers

• Control -click (Mac) / Right Mouse -click (Win) the eye icon shows both of these options as menus.

However, if I need to toggle the visibility of multiple selected layers at once, then these shortcuts don’t do what I need them to. Instead, I tap “V” to select the Move tool, and then tap 00 (zero+zero) in quick succession in order to set the opacity of the multiple selected layers to 0 (zero). In order to “show”the layers again, I tap the 0 (zero) key once to set the opacity of the layers to 100%.

COMMENTS

• By JETNZ - 4:16 PM on September 11, 2012

These are such great shortcuts, thanks for the tip on setting opacity for layers, very handy! Is there a shortcut for “clip to layer” using adjustment layers. Now that Photoshop CS6 has removed the icon and banished it to the fly-out menu?

• By JETNZ - 8:18 PM on September 13, 2012

Thank you for pointing this out, I was used to it being on the Adjustments panel. Still much to learn with the marvelous new features of CS6…

• By San - 2:28 PM on January 23, 2013

“Control -click (Mac) / Right Mouse -click (Win) the eye icon shows both of these options as menus.”

That seems to imply that the menu method yields the same result as clicking or option-clicking the eyeball. I just experimented and that seems not to be the case. When I option-click to hide other layers, and then option-click again, it restores the visibility of the other layers to their previous state. When I use the right-click menu method to show all other layers, it does just that: makes everything visible no matter what its previous state was. I’d rarely find this useful, so I prefer the option-click method.

• By Undecided Games - 8:23 AM on February 16, 2013

Please consider reformatting your mac-vs-win button descriptions as follows:

Option (Mac) + | Alt (Win) + ….

See, on Windows, there is a “Windows Key”. “Alt + (Win)” sounds like you mean “press Alt plus the Windows key.” As a non-Mac user, not knowing for sure that there is not a “Mac Key” on Macs, it took me a while to realize you meant “press Alt (on Windows).”

Otherwise, perfect tip! Thank you!

• By Katie - 9:08 AM on April 30, 2013

Thanks for the tip, but I still wish there was a way to link the visibility of layers or groups so I didn’t have to reselect each time I wanted to toggle the view, might as well just press the show/hide buttons individually.

• By Katie - 9:24 AM on April 30, 2013

Nevermind, found what I was looking for: Layer Comps.