by Julieanne Kost

Comments (8)

Created

October 16, 2012

If you capture images as JPEGs, and then make changes to JPEG files in the Develop Module (or in Quick Develop) in Lightroom or in Camera Raw in Photoshop ,and post those original JPEG files online, the adjustment changes will not be displayed. You must have Lightroom or Photoshop render a new version of the JPEG with your changes applied (via Export, the output modules and/or publish services).

Why? Well, when you make changes to your files in Lightroom (or Camera Raw), you can choose to push settings such as copyright and keywords into JPEG files. In Lightroom you do this by choosing Metadata > Save Metadata to File or by checking “Automatically write changes to XMP” in Catalog Settings > Metadata. In Photoshop, you add your information in File Info or in the appropriate panels in Bridge. Most other programs, (if they’re savvy enough to read IPTC data) can read information such as copyright and keyword and display this information.

But other programs (including browsers) are not able to read changes made in Quick Develop or in the Develop Module in Lightroom or in Camera Raw in Photoshop and render it, so you need  to export your modified files (in order to render a new file with the changes applied) and post those files instead of the original JPEGs.

COMMENTS

• By Bill Richardson - 10:24 AM on October 16, 2012

Another great tip which raises a question for me. How do you get files other than RAW files to open in ACR?

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:15 AM on October 18, 2012

Bill, you can open JPEG files in ACR in PS if you open them from LR as a smart object (Photo > Edit In > Open as Smart Object. Editing the contents of the smart object in PS will open the JPEG in ACR. OR, you can view the image in Bridge, and then use Commnand/Control + R and open it in RAW. There are also Camera Raw preferences that you can set in Photoshop.

• By Alek Davis - 3:04 PM on October 16, 2012

Hmmm… Are you saying that if I post-process a photo (JPG) in Lightroom (e.g. change contrast or adjust levels) and publish it to FB (or Flickr), the changes will not be posted? I.e. the original photo will be posted instead, not the adjusted one? Or did I misunderstand you? Thanks.

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:16 AM on October 18, 2012

If you publish it via publish services or use the web module or print to JPEG, all of these options will render a new JPEG with the adjustments applied. Sorry for the confusion.

• By Dominique - 1:00 AM on October 19, 2012

Hi Julieanne,
    I am new to Lr and I have been making some basic changes to a RAW file. I took out all the colour and only left in blues and aquas. I like the shot, and I would like to set it as my desktop on my Mac, but it is all pixelated on the big screen. I saved it as a Jpeg. If I set the original colour one, it works fine. What am i doing wrong please?

• By Pete Green - 3:58 PM on October 22, 2012

What are the image dimensions? What is your screen resolution? You will want these two values to match up as closely as possible to alleviate any distortion on your image as a wallpaper.
      How did you go about the export? Did you set any export settings to resize the image? Remove the image sizing settings or “resize to fit” export settings and see if this nets you a higher quality export from LR to use as your wallpaper.

• By Shirley West - 1:44 PM on February 15, 2013

I spent hours flagging and adding metadata, on opening the file today none of that info is there. Can I retreive it or if I have to redo it, how can it all be saaved. I have spent days doing this and it’s frustrating