by Julieanne Kost

Comments (8)

Created

October 3, 2012

Lightroom 4.2 is now available as a final release on Adobe.com and through the update mechanism in Lightroom 4.  The goal of this release is to provide additional camera raw support, lens profile support as well as address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom. The Lightroom Journal had additional information.

COMMENTS

• By Deborah Schaub - 10:34 AM on October 3, 2012

I use Adobe photoshop now. What is the purpose of Light room and should I buy it?

• By Pete Green - 11:58 AM on October 3, 2012

Lightroom is great! If you’re any kind of photographer and come back with hundreds or more of images to be touched. Lightroom is a quick way to make amazing changes to your images. If you need really fine tuned editing adjustments, and even layers to make those edits to an image, then Photoshop would be where you do that. Lightroom doesn’t use layers, but doesn’t need them for how it makes changes to the images.

This page gives some good comparison data: http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/07/photoshop_vs_lightroom_1.html

• By Avishai Avivi - 9:24 AM on October 5, 2012

I’m actually very disappointed. I was really looking forward to 4.2, but because I apparently made the mistake of buying through the Apple App Store (tm?) I now have to wait till Adobe and Apple work their issues out and make the update available through the App Store. I can kinda understand Apple slacking off, but disappointed with Adobe :(

• By Julieanne Kost - 1:43 PM on October 9, 2012

You are unable to update App Store products through the Help-> Update menu option. This was required in order to comply with Mac App Store policies.

We’ve submitted Lightroom 4.2 to the Mac App Store and are pending approval. Lighroom 4.2 will be available for all Mac App Store customers once we receive approval.

• By Martin Paldan - 9:45 AM on October 5, 2012

Does anyone know if it´s possible to add a facebook share button in the web-gallery module in Lightroom?
    I´m a sport-shooter, and use Lightroom intensively to adjust hundreds of photos of athletes. And then I make a gallery as a service to the athletes – and it would be great if they could share their photo with a click instead of right-clicking and downloading first…
    Thanks!
    Martin

• By RONIE A. J. DOHERTY - 6:03 AM on October 8, 2012

I HAVE A PROBLEM. I HAVE JUST BPUGHT CS6 DESIGN STANDARD. I’M NEARLY 80 YEARS OF AGE AND A TRIFLE SLOW NOW. MY PASSION HAS ALWAYS BEEN PHOTOGRAPHY. I BOUGHT THE ABOVE IN ORDER TO IMPROVE MY IMAGES AND KEEP BY MIND ACTIVE AS LONG AS IS POSSIBLE. I USE A 4CORE MAC PRO DESKTOP.
    ALL MY PHOTOS ARE ON DISKS.
    HOW DO I IMPORT THESE INTO CS6 BRIDGE OR LIGHTROOM 4.2.
    HELP AN OLD MAN PLEASE.
    THANK YOU.

• By Pete Green - 5:25 PM on October 8, 2012

Hi Ronie — Check out these resources that answer your questions.

Importing into Lightroom — http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS427A4C94-2499-456d-8E17-AE09D3316A03.html

Viewing images in Bridge: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/creativesuite/cs/using/WSA63F14FC-A095-4093-A549-D728F13C7342a.html

• By Paul Collingridge - 7:30 AM on October 10, 2012

Hi Ronnie – there’s a million of us out here who are applauding you. Lightroom should do a great job. I suggest you go to Julieanne’s “Lightroom Video Tutorials” which give an excellent introduction. I, too, am more advanced in years, but I watched ALL the videos first (introducing the new release) and then watched each through again, bit-by-bit to practice the techniques…. I was almost able to hit the ground running. I’ve not bothered with CS6 because it is far more than I’ll need, and Elements was missing the mark. Lightroom does almost everything necessary – once you’ve grasped it I would suggest trying a free download of Perfect Effects and Perfect Layers from OnOne Software for really easy ways to extend Lightroom, the full suite is still cheaper than CS6 and maybe more appropriate to your needs. CS6 is like a wall of new learning where all the answers are based on experience. Good luck.