by Julieanne Kost

Comments (11)

Created

November 27, 2012

If you have an active selection in your image and choose Filter > Liquify, the Liquify filter will automatically turn the selection into a mask allowing you to manipulate the area within the original selection while masking (or freezing) the unselected area. If you need to manipulate the area outside of the original selection (instead of the inside), in the Liquify dialog, be sure to have the Advanced Options showing and click the “Invert All” button under the Mask Options.

COMMENTS

• By Carlos - 7:08 AM on November 27, 2012

Julieanna, you are the top! And a handsome person too. If I weren’t a 65 y.o. guy, I’d be proposing to you :-)
    Thanks for all the great tips and tutorials. It’s always such a pleasure to read or listen to you. Best wishes, be happy and keep on shining.

• By Stefan - 7:23 AM on November 27, 2012

Julieanne,
    if I have a selection and go to “liquify”, I only see the selected area of the picture in the liquify dialog box. If I click the “invert all” button, the red mask fills the whole selected area to freeze it. But since I don`t see the whole picture, I cannot manipulate the area outside the selection.

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:43 AM on November 27, 2012

Are you in PSCS6?

• By Stefan - 2:12 AM on November 28, 2012

Julieanne,

I`m using CS6 and CS5. Both behave the same. Maybe you can show a video of how you do it. BTW. your videos are absolutely great!

• By Jadovskey - 11:11 AM on July 12, 2013

I have the CS6 every time I enter > Filter > Liquify > the picture doesn’t shown.. I only see a black box ?? any help plz.. It was work properly before

• By Laura James - 5:01 AM on August 29, 2013

I’m trying to use the Liquify tool but it only moves the entire picture around and not a specific area. Also, it does not give me a brush (round) but rather a plus sign instead. I’m confused because I have use this tool in the past for reshaping faces and body parts. It’s a fabulous tool that I truly need to use right now but cannot for some reason. Can someone please, please help me??? Thanks so much!!! :)

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:22 AM on August 29, 2013

The plus is the center of the brush – which indicates that your brush is huge. Try decreasing the size.

• By Laura James - 1:11 PM on August 29, 2013

Julieanne, I did decrease the brush size tremendously but it’s still not working. It will only move the entire photo not the part I want it to. Also, when it moves, it blurs the photo but again, it moves the entire picture. I’m truly at a loss. What should my settings be? I’m guessing it’s something simple because I have used this feature months ago.

Thanks so much for all your help! :)

• By Julieanne Kost - 1:37 PM on August 29, 2013

Sorry, but I don’t know – I would post the issue to either of these forums to see if other customers are experiencing the same problem and if so, if they have found a solution. In addition, posting it here will allow the product management team to see it.
    -j

• By Laura James - 2:02 PM on August 29, 2013

Thank you for your help Julieanne. I will re-post to both.