by Julieanne Kost

Comments (14)

Created

February 15, 2013

There are a number of file types that Lightroom supports including an extensive list of Camera Raw Formats (for a complete list click here), DNG, JPEG PSD, TIFF, and AVI, MOV, MP4, AVCHD and other digital video files from digital still cameras (click here for a complete list). But every once in a while, I run into a file that Lightroom can’t open because there are a few exceptions:

• PNG (although they can be used for Identity Plates, Watermarks and Layout Overlay).

• Nikon scanner NEF.

• Files that have the longest dimension greater than 65,000 pixels or are larger than 512 megapixels.

• PSD files saved without Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility turned on in the File Handling Preferences.

• 32 bit PSD files.

COMMENTS

• By Jay Pulli - 6:03 AM on February 15, 2013

Don’t think that LR can import the old Kodak PhotoCD .PCD either, too bad.

• By Daniel thomassin - 9:49 AM on February 15, 2013

Madame bonjour ;Un grand merci pour vos conseil précieux.
    Bon weekend.
    Dan

• By Alec Bloyd-Peshkin - 9:59 AM on February 22, 2013

I am trying to figure out why all of a sudden LR3 is telling me that it can’t read my jpeg files an won’t import them. These were shot on a Nikon coolpix which I have been using with LR3 for the last couple of years. All of a sudden I can’t import them, though iphoto imports the same images just fine.
    Help?
    Alec

• By Bert Pooth - 4:35 PM on March 7, 2013

When I try to import, even just one picture, the screen says “import in progress” and then nothing happens. Ten minutes later, the same message. GRrr.

• By Annmarie Connell - 9:15 AM on April 14, 2013

I’m trying to reorganize my files in Lightroom. I had them on my harddrive and just had Lightroom add them to the library. At first I would drag files to the folder I wanted them and now when I go to drag them, they won’t drag at all. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 9:33 AM on April 14, 2013

Are you trying to move the folders in the Library view of Lightroom or in the OS? (Windows Explorer or Mac Finder) Post more details on the Lightroom forum, we can help you there: http://adobe.ly/LR-U2U

• By Andreas Johansson - 10:44 AM on June 13, 2013

Hi everyone,
    I have been using lightroom for about three years now and really believe the tool has helped me a lot. Especially the library module is of great use for me. I do have some issues that I´d like to bring up, and maybe there are any good solutions for the difficulties.

Lightroom does not seem to accept that many formats in it´s library. I do often write text (eg. word documents, pdf and powerpoints) which I relate to my photos and videos. I´d really need to be able to import them in lightroom also since I´d like to use to “collection” and ” smart collection” features for other file types then photos. Do any of you have a solution except for “any file” which makes thumbnails of documents. Nor do I see Bridge as a solution since I need the collection feature and the ability to add metadata the way i do in LR. Also the metadata should preferably not be imbedded in the file itself but rather in a database on the side as I can do with photos in LR.

Many thanks,
    Best regards

/Andreas

• By IrisElizabeth - 5:56 PM on June 30, 2013

Hi everyone,

I am a problem that is probably simple to fix, but I can’t figure it out. When I first import my RAW files from a folder, there is no problem, but if I import a new set of RAW files and then want to go back to the folder I previously opened (still RAW files), I won’t open the ones that I opened previously. I can see the files but they are darkened and there is no option to choose them. I haven’t worked on these photos yet, only opened them to view in the past. Why does this happen and how can I fix it.

I am using Lightroom 4

• By Fela Sanu - 4:32 AM on August 17, 2013

I cannot import fines into light room, The import is greyed out on the right.

• By Terry Sims - 9:55 PM on August 22, 2013

Lightroom 4.4 has stopped importing my files, all the file come onto the screen but it will not import them, the photo are in raw format. Can you please help