by Julieanne Kost

Comments (11)

Created

March 7, 2013

When you drag images onto the Map in Lightroom’s Map module, and you have Reverse Geocoding enabled (Catalog Settings > Metadata > Reverse Geoencoding), Lightroom will automatically enter Location information associated with the GPS information (Sublocation, City, State/Province, Country, and ISO Country Code).

It’s important to note that Lightroom can treat the Location Information and the GPS data independently of one another. If you move the location of the images (by dragging and dropping them to another location on the map), by default both the GPS as well as the Location Information will be updated.  In fact, this is always true of the GPS information – if you move the image on the map, the GPS data will be updated.

You have, however, the option to override the Location Information. As I mentioned, by default, Lightroom will update the Location Information if you move the file, but you can also change the Location Information manually (perhaps you have a nickname for the location), by typing in any of the Location Information fields.

Lightroom displays the Location Information in grey if it is being automatically generated. If you customize the values (enter your own text), the custom information displays in white. Note: In both scenarios, the location Information will be exported with the file.

As you can see in the first example, the Location Information is gray indicating that Lightroom assigned the information based on reverse geoencoding the GPS data.

12_JKost_GPS1

In the second example, I have entered “Ferry Plaza Farmers Market” in the Sublocation – overriding Lightroom’s  reverse geoencoding information – locking it in so that moving the image on the Map will no longer  automatically update it.

12_JKost_GPS2

COMMENTS

• By Daniel thomassin - 2:15 AM on March 8, 2013

Bonjour;Merci beaucoup mes mon boitier n’est pas équiper de GPS .Mes ces très pratique du
    pour l’historique des fichiers par exemple!Je vais voir se weekend comment cela fonctionne
    en détaille; bon weekend à vous.

• By William Beem - 5:34 PM on March 11, 2013

Why doesn’t Lightroom 4 read the GPS information embedded in my Nikon NEF files? I use a Nikon GP-1 to record the information so it’s right on my card, but Lightroom ignores that information when I import it. Why?

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:44 AM on April 18, 2013

Scott, sorry, but I have not heard of this issue. I would post the issue to either of these forums to see if other customers are experiencing the same problem and if so, if they have found a solution.

• By David Todd - 9:38 PM on July 15, 2013

Julieanne, I’ve just had the same problem. LR4 doesn’t read the GPS metadata from photos being imported, but if I enter the GPS data manually it exports to the JPGs just fine.

By the way, any relation to Larry Kost at the University of Vermont?

• By Susan - 1:39 PM on August 5, 2013

I’ve got the same problem as William and David – the GPS data is in the file properties but doesn’t show in Lightroom

• By Susan - 3:30 AM on August 6, 2013

Thanks Julieanne, I have posted to the Lightroom forum

• By Jay - 10:04 AM on August 6, 2013

I use a Nikon D5200 with a Nikon GP-1A GPS system. My location data import to LR4 fine except for altitude. I know the GPS records the altitude as I can see it in the camera screen but does not show up in LR4

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jay

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:53 AM on August 8, 2013

Are you using LR 4.1 or later?

• By Robert Leeds - 11:41 AM on August 6, 2013

Is there a way for LR4 to automatically lock in the Reverse Geoencoded information for multiple pictures? I can currently manually go and accept each bit of metadata for the individual picture, but I want to be able to do lock in all the pictures at once. Mine appears grey however when trying to use the location metadata in creating a slideshow, the grey information does not register.

• By Julieanne Kost - 4:07 PM on August 17, 2013

Hi Robert, There currently isn’t a way to do this except on an image-by-image basis. Its a good idea though, and it has been logged for future feature consideration. -j