by Julieanne Kost

Comments (6)

Created

April 16, 2014

In this Quick Tip for Lightroom (How to Copy Files to an External Hard Drive in Lightroom), Julieanne shows how to copy files to an external drive that Lightroom is unaware of.

COMMENTS

• By Ed Bacon - 5:46 AM on April 16, 2014

In this case does Lightroom do a verified copy or move? That is, does Lightroom ensure the files are bit wise correct?
    I had assumed not, and so when moving files between volumes, I use a verified copy to the target folder, and then remove the source folder. This is done outside of Lightroom, back in Lightroom I “find missing folder”. If Lightroom does a verification of the moved files, I could simplify my life.
    N.B. moving files on the same volume does not involve physically transferring data sectors, so it is less likely to have a corrupted file, and drag and drop I Lightroom is safe.

• By Yves - 9:13 AM on April 16, 2014

Hello,
    It’s a good tut, but a good thing is to create Dynamic previews before you start the move…

Yves/CH

• By Roger Shuttleworth - 11:28 AM on April 16, 2014

Thanks for excellent Lightroom tutorials!

One note: your instructions for importing presets in Windows use the path user\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom. This is, I think, incorrect (typically the Application Data folder is not accessible without special admin rights). It should be user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom.

• By Stephen Scott - 7:45 AM on April 17, 2014

When I try this my external drive shows up under my Mac HD/volumes, not as a separate drive.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 8:46 AM on April 18, 2014

Is your external drive actually a network device (NAS)?

• By Stephen Scott - 6:04 PM on April 18, 2014

No,just an external plugged into a USB port.