by Julieanne Kost

Comments (6)

Created

June 17, 2014

I’m typically pretty good at remembering to clean out my old Lightroom catalog backups, but the other day I noticed that I had 25+ backups sitting in my folder. Because they don’t take up a significant amount of space (as the preview files are not part of the backup) it’s really not that big of a deal, but I do like to keep my files tidy so I deleted all but the most recent five backups. In this video, I have some additional suggestions for backup strategies:

COMMENTS

• By Dn Roeder - 10:46 AM on June 17, 2014

You say here you had 25+ incremental backups. When I think of incremental backups, I think of a backup of just the changes since then last backup. Is this what Lightroom really does? To me, it seems like the backups are full backups, not incremental. If they were incremental, why would you throw any of them away? Each time lightroom creates a backup, it seems like it is larger than the last one. What do you mean by incremental?

• By Dan Roeder - 10:48 AM on June 17, 2014

Misspelled my name I the previous comment

• By Yngvar Johnsen - 10:55 AM on June 17, 2014

I don’t think Lightroom offers any incremental backup functionality, only full catalog backup? I would love to see that, in addition to the full backup supported today, though. Since you typically change only a small fraction of the images in a catalog incremental backup could be quick and safe, perfect for running every time you exit Lightroom.

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:14 AM on June 17, 2014

You are correct Lightroom is doing a full catalog backup each time. Sorry if I caused confusion – I think of these backups as “incremental” because each of the backups is a small amount or degree different than the previous (typically larger, if you’re continuously adding photos). The key for me is that I have the most current catalog backed up to another drive so that if I do loose it, I have a copy of the latest information.

• By Allan - 5:02 PM on June 17, 2014

How did you get the Creative Cloud Icon on the top right of your Lightroom window? I am using the PC version and can’t find out how to get that little Icon up there. It would be really useful to have it up there.

Thanks

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:02 AM on June 18, 2014

I believe that you’re referring to the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop application icon that appears in the finder’s menu bar at the top right of the screen. You can launch it from your applications folder (Applications > Adobe Creative Cloud).