by Julieanne Kost

Comments (139)

Created

June 18, 2014

Most of you are probably noticing that when you install the 2014 release of Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere etc.), via the Creative Cloud desktop app, you’re actually installing NEW versions of the application. Yes, that’s correct, the new 2014 versions of CC apps will be installed in addition to (and can run along side of) the previous CC versions (they will not replace them). So, unlike the past few updates, the 2014 release will install a new, stand-alone version of most applications – such as Photoshop, InDesign etc.), and that’s also why it lists them separately in the CC desktop app).

2014_06_18cc

The fact that the 2014 release of Photoshop is a separate install might be why some of you aren’t seeing your custom plugins etc. that you might have installed with Photoshop CC.

In addition, some applications (Photoshop CC for example) might display an update option in the CC desktop app so that it can make updates to Camera Raw or other features.

If you are a subscriber to Creative Cloud, the new versions are included in your subscription.

If you have additional questions with regards to installing/updating/upgrading, this resource –  2014 release of Photoshop CC FAQ – is very informative!

If your question is not answered in the FAQ, please ask additional questions on this forum: https://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup/creative_cloud_faq

COMMENTS

• By Joe - 2:59 PM on June 18, 2014

Now if only we had the same option to separately pick whether to install x64 OR x86 versions too…

• By Adrián Millares - 3:00 PM on June 18, 2014

So, could we deleted the CC vers.?

• By Randy Hamblin - 3:52 PM on June 18, 2014

Will i need to (re)point it to where my catalog is, where my back up is, re-create copyright metadata, print outputs, etc., etc.? Is there a proper sequence, i.e., install the new version, then uninstall the old version, or does it matter?

• By Julieanne Kost - 4:02 PM on June 18, 2014

Lightroom 5.5 is just an update – not a new install. Sorry, I didn’t think to point that out.

• By HL - 4:14 PM on June 18, 2014

So if we install the 2014 version do we / can we remove the previous version?

• By Steve Brazill - 4:21 PM on June 18, 2014

I only subscribe to the Photographers CC (LR & PS), but I have my older CS6 ID & AI installed. This update installed the AI & ID CC 2014 apps even though I can’t use them?

• By Cörv - 4:44 PM on June 18, 2014

I think it’s confusing, that all versions have identical icons. It’s hard to tell them apart. The CS6 icons are slightly different, but I would still need to see them next to their CC counterparts to know which one is which.

CC and CC’14 look exactly the same. When both are placed in the dock it’s a fifty-fifty chance you hit the right one.

• By Julieanne Kost - 4:55 PM on June 18, 2014

Yes, I have the new 2014 icons on the left and moved the older versions to the far right so that I can tell them apart!

• By Dave Schultze - 5:21 PM on June 18, 2014

I have CS6 and the Creative Cloud updater is offering to ‘Update’ me to CC (2014) of every single app I have installed. Why? Will I be charged?

Previously, I was offered to either “Try’ (and be charged) or ‘Install’ (no charge)

So what does this new option of ‘Update to CC (2104)’ mean?

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:22 AM on June 19, 2014

Dave, with the new versions of the apps, the 30-day trials have been reset. You should be able to install the new versions and “try” them for 30 days with out being charged.

• By Dave Schultze - 8:13 AM on June 19, 2014

This is confusing and inconsistent. Question at the end.

At the very top of the Creative Cloud Application, I see ’10 Updates’ and then there is a listing of all ten ‘CC (2014)’ applications. It would have been so much better to label these as ‘Try’ as you have always done — or even ‘Try for 30 Days.’ You make it look like its free or even required!

Remember, this is an installation of CS6 and I don’t want CC (2014) on this computer. I also don’t want staff to accidentally update the app either, which has happened.

QUESTION >> How do I get rid of these 10 ‘Update to CC (2014)’ listings?

• By Mike Fraser - 6:22 AM on June 22, 2014

Hi, I second this. I also own CS6 but do not use or pay for CC.

I saw a list of updates, some for software I didn’t have, with no way of turning specific ones off. So I hit update, on the assumption that your system will realise that I don’t own the software you’re asking to update. I didn’t realise that ‘update’ in those cases meant installing extra software.

So to reiterate Dave’s unanswered question, how do I uninstall the new CC version (in my case on osx)? I notice this information isn’t anywhere in this blog post, or the FAQs.

As an added bonus, The CC trial versions have overridden the launchpad icons of my CS6 apps. Please could you tell me how to fix this as well.

• By Keith - 7:07 PM on June 18, 2014

To avoid confusion, I had to uninstall all previous apps then restart the creative cloud app. This way no duplicates are shown.

• By Shane Moss - 7:47 PM on June 18, 2014

This was a pathetic update process. On first run it copied my presets, but not actions, panels, plug-ins, settings, etc. Wow! It was depressing and stupid.

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:48 PM on June 18, 2014
      • By Shane Moss - 9:05 PM on June 18, 2014

The preset migration ran, but that is a small set of stuff that needs to move to the new version. I think Adobe could have handled this much more gracefully. I understand reasons for why this would be a separate version, but in the CC environment especially the need to automate more of these tasks for the user.

• By Shane Moss - 9:07 PM on June 18, 2014

OK, looks like, by presets they mean other things as well, but after the preset migration in the first run it looks like nothing moved over. I will restart and try it again.

• By Tom C. - 3:13 PM on June 22, 2014

The fact this *this* is the user experience Adobe is shoving down the throats of its most “loyal” customers (that’s the kindest way I can characterize the current relationship as dictated by the move to a monthly subscription model) – in 2014 – would be laughable, if it wasn’t so incredibly pathetic (and on top of a legacy of terrible installation and upgrade experiences). It’s kind of ming-boggling, given its target user base.

• By George - 7:50 PM on June 18, 2014

If CC2014 is a whole new version, I don’t understand why I’d want to keep CC on board.

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:48 PM on June 18, 2014

George, there are a number of different reasons that customers ask Adobe to create versions, including both hardware and software compatibility issues, access to features that are no longer supported as a result, support for external plug-ins etc.

• By Joseph K - 11:10 PM on June 18, 2014

Um, sorry, but this appears to be a near identical statement to the one you made in the third-last paragraph of the post.

It also doesn’t really address George’s question, since one of the chief benefits of migrating to the cloud and away from distinct versions is the reduction in version compatibility problems that have plagued the industry for decades.

I’m wondering what kind of data you have to back up the statement, too – as from my perspective, the majority of users seem to be distinctly inconvenienced by this move.

Would it not make more sense to update the current application as normal, and provide the older “version” as an optional download?

• By Aneeth - 8:08 PM on June 18, 2014

I’m seeing two “Lightroom 5″ under the apps tab in creative cloud. Both having the same name unlike Photoshop CC and Photoshop CC (2014). The only difference being that one has an “Update” box next to it while the other has “Up to date”. So is one of this the CC 2014 version of Lightroom or something’s screwed up on my side?

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:47 PM on June 18, 2014

Aneeth, I’m not sure why this is happening. I would suggest posting your question here: https://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup/creative_cloud_faq?promoid=KBGTZ

• By camner - 9:06 PM on June 20, 2014

I’m seeing the same thing, but I have a perpetual license of LR 5 on my machine. So I’m speculating that Adobe is telling me that THAT version is “up to date” (at 5.4) while the other LR that Adobe is trying to install may be the CC version.

Just a guess…

• By Oscar Roldan - 8:26 PM on June 18, 2014

What would be the best way to transfer all the brushes, patterns, actions, etc. from the CC version to the CC2014? Thx

• By Daudi - 9:49 PM on June 18, 2014

I have Adobe CC. Prior that that, I had Lightroom 5. However, my version of LR5 was always newer than that in included in the Adobe CC, so I never downloaded the CC version. Has this disparity in the LR versions been resolved?

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:15 AM on June 19, 2014

I don’t believe that the CC desktop app displays any of the dot’s after the names of any product. And when you install from the CC desktop app, it will install the most recent version. I see Lightroom being listed as Lightroom 5 (not 5.5). So you should be able to delete the version of Lightroom that you have and install from the CC desktop app. (After deleting LR, if the desktop app doesn’t realize that you deleted it, quit the CC desktop app and then relaunch it to refresh it.)

• By Tim Siegert - 10:03 PM on June 18, 2014

My computer showed I had 12 updates on Creative Cloud. It’s weird, it totally kicked LR off the list of apps I had. I’ve had LR since it was created. Why would it show that I don’t even have it loaded now? I have LR5 and I use it every day. I hate to have to reload it! Seems that I had to do that a while back.
    Has anyone else run into this problem?

Tim

• By Jacob - 12:04 AM on June 19, 2014

Im just an amateur so none of this makes any sense. I have a mac and there is no uninstall for muse of media encoder…Where is the button that says “im stupid please give me a simple update”

• By Barend Erasmus - 7:05 PM on June 19, 2014

Im also new to this and have severe dyslexia ….is there a video tutorial on this …im more of a visual leaner that reading a sea of confusing text and terms i am not familiar with…

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:25 AM on June 20, 2014

Barend, the FAQ has some screenshots that might help you walk through the install, but I don’t know of a video.

• By Tor - 2:02 AM on June 19, 2014

I noticed that the $9.99 time limited deal for Lr and Ps has become a permanent offer, which is good.
    However the cloud storage space included is reduced from 20 to 2 gb.

Many of us signed up for this while the offer was time limited and with 20 gb. My CC app lists 20 gb of space. Will we keep that space or will we be downgraded to the 2 gb in the current plan?

And a little feature request: I edit lots of short video clips for presentations using Photoshop. I would love to be able to export video to .wmv for trouble free use in Powerpoint. As of now I have to convert using Windows media player, which is a pain in the …!

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:42 AM on June 19, 2014

Tor, because you subscribed (purchased) to the original Photoshop Photography Program (offering), you will be grandfathered in and will continue to renew your membership at the same rate and with the same entitlements outlined in the original Photoshop Photography Program (offering).

• By Bronwen Sinnott - 2:35 AM on June 19, 2014

I have updated to the new Version of Muse 2014 and now Muse crashes every time I try to publish the site to Business Catalyst for my client to see it.

• By RonBoyd - 3:36 AM on June 19, 2014

Is there no CC2014 version of Bridge?

• By Gilberto - 4:03 AM on June 19, 2014

Tengo el Photoshop CS6 y no he comprado el Photoshop CC pero hoy me aparece una actualización para Photoshop CC 2014. Si la actualizo me la van a cobrar? o porque me aparece la opción de actualizar???? ayuda…

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:32 AM on June 19, 2014

You can run a trial version of any of the apps in the 2014 release of CC for 30 days with no charge.

• By Sam Rolfe - 6:45 AM on June 19, 2014

I have 11 Adobe CC apps installed on my MacBook that I want to upgrade to CC (2014).

I’ve read though all the comments and links here, and the replies you’ve given.

Are you suggesting that I have to go and run each and every uninstaller separately for each and every original CC app? So that’s 11 times I have to run the uninstaller, 11 times I have to type in my password, and 11 times I have to sit and wait for it?

And are you suggesting that I have to go through and double-check the preferences, pre-sets and plugins for each and every app, because some of them MIGHT have transferred and some of them may have not? I have to do that 11 separate times as well?

If all these facts are true, this is possibly the worse handled upgrade in history (and I’ve done Windows 95 on 13 agonising floppy disks, so I know), definitely the worse handled Adobe update in history. The CS upgrades were smooth and hassle-free for the most part. You guys know how to do it, so why the let-down?

Why are the icons identical? Why is the name so inconsistent? I counted 3 separate names “CC (2014)”, “CC 2014″ and “CC 2014 Release” – plus the ‘About’ dialogue just says ‘CC’. This just makes it even more confusing to tell the difference between the two versions.

Why not just call it CC2? Or CC² would’ve looked good, to better separate it from the CS series. Then you could have CC³, CC⁴ etc. That would make it clear which version you were using whilst keeping it unique amongst competitors. Please don’t go down the Microsoft route of naming after years, it’s never worked properly and is just silly. Even Microsoft have stopped doing it for the most part with the exception of Office.

I hope an upgrade or migration app is launched for this transition, else there is going to be a lot of angry customers at your gates.

• By Clint Erickson - 9:20 AM on June 19, 2014

I could not agree more with Sam. This is quite the debacle. Please make this easier on your end users, those paying for a ‘life-easing’ subscription. I hope we don’t need to remind you that this is an automatic/sync-friendly/cloud-based/We-should-no-longer-have-do-a-workaround world.
      Disappointed.

• By Tim - 9:14 AM on June 20, 2014

This is just one of the many reasons I have canceled my CC account within 90 days of it first coming out. Have successfully switched to Pixelmator and Sketch, except for using Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 for minimal CMYK print work.

• By adam comstock - 9:00 PM on July 1, 2014

I knew this would happen. Once they have you hooked on the subscription, there’s no going back. So why would they try to make their customers happy? You are STUCK with them.

So glad I stayed on cs6

• By Seth Geib - 6:46 AM on June 19, 2014

Why do you handle this update on PC differently than on Mac? My PC update overwrote and updated my install, which I prefer, while my Mac now has two separate apps. For the love of God, have some consistency.

• By Robert Hunter - 6:49 AM on June 19, 2014

I have the photographer version of CC. When I installed the update Lightroom is no longer listed as an installed App. When I opened Lightroom I got a notice that there was an upgrade available. I was able to download and install the update. My concern is that is still isn’t listed as an App in the Creative Cloud screen.

• By Christian David - 6:58 AM on June 19, 2014

I see no Adobe CC 2014 in my desktop app. I need to reinstall any version of Premiere Pro CC to complete my project. I’ve logged out closed the app, and logged back in many times, no help.

• By Bob - 7:41 AM on June 19, 2014

Can I just say this is the worst update I have ever used. Much like Comcast, your service is the worst.

• By Chris Sewell - 8:43 AM on June 19, 2014

I “upgraded” to CC 2014 this afternoon and am totally frustrated that my present, workspaces and keyboards shortcuts have not been migrated across from CC. I have spent an hour trawling the forums to see if there is a migration assistant to sort this problem out to no avail.

I then took the approach of reviewing the contents of the preference files in: –

/Users//Library/Preferences//

I found most of the preferences files were simply text files, so I tried copying my preference files from the CC install into the same folders in the CC 2014 install, but it just didn’t work.

Adobe, please please sort out this awful upgrade and give us a tool that will bring over preferences from CC to CC 2014…..

• By M. A. - 10:51 PM on June 22, 2014

Yes–having to redo all preferences is a nightmare!

Just off the top of my head, for Photoshop alone, I can think of…

My careful layout of windows and palettes, and the way the dock together
      Hiding of the big gray background box that hampers multitasking
      My custom transparency checkboard
      My choices of cursors and grid style/spacing
      Which warning dialogs I have left enabled or not
      Default color management and document sizes
      Settings for each individual tool
      A zillion other preferences I won’t even remember to change until I run into a problem!
      Now multiply this hassle by all the CC apps I use

Adobe’s hand in my wallet every month is bad enough. When they also interfere with my workflow, it’s a slap in the face. It’s like I suddenly have a fresh install on a new computer to deal with! (Yes, I know I could decline to update, and simply pay for zero updates. What a choice.)

And the name “CC 2014″ tells me that Adobe’s marketers won’t allow this version to stand when 2015 rolls around. Another year, another nightmare of lost preferences!

• By Pete Green - 11:29 AM on June 23, 2014

Have you gone into PS CC, and into your user menu > and Synced Settings Now?
        On Mac, it’s under the application menu > username
        On Win, it’s under Edit > username

Once that has been done, head back to PS CC2014 under the Sync Settings preference and choose to Download the settings.

• By chad - 8:43 AM on June 19, 2014

I have the full CC subscription but in the update panel the only CC (2014) apps available are InCopy CC (2014) and Edge Animate CC (2014). Is there a date I should expect to be able to update/upgrade the rest of my CC apps?

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:14 AM on June 19, 2014

Chad, can you try quitting the CC desktop app and then restarting it to see if the list of applications refreshes?

• By Chris Sewell - 8:45 AM on June 19, 2014

My last comment had the file path elements stripped out as I used chevrons. here’s the correct path: –

/Users/-user-/Library/Preferences/-software-package-/-language-

• By Shawn - 9:56 AM on June 19, 2014

I’m running the uninstaller on all of the old versions but there is no option for Media Encoder, should this one just be moved to trash or is there a more desirable option? (Mac)

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:19 AM on June 19, 2014

Shawn, I don’t know, please post your question here. https://forums.adobe.com/community/ame

• By Julieanne Kost - 1:23 PM on June 19, 2014

I believe that AME is a required component and not an independent install so my best guess is that if you uninstall Premiere it will uninstall the older version. At least that’s what happened for me when I uninstalled Premiere CC this morning an installed Premiere 2014.

• By Conrad Chavez - 6:31 PM on June 19, 2014

Shawn, my experience matches what Julieanne described. I had After Effects CC and Premiere CC installed, and after uninstalling those, Media Encoder CC had been removed.

It’s interesting to note that Adobe has added an uninstaller for Media Encoder CC 2014, for whenever that becomes necessary.

• By Harmon Harrish - 10:10 AM on June 19, 2014

Lightroom 5.5 does not launch after update. Chat Support offered sdbuce to uninstall, sign out then back in on Creative Cloud Settings, and then let Creative Cloud App reinstall Lightroom 5.5. Same result, does not launch. Now without Lightroom and patiently awaiting a fix.

• By Jon Fish - 11:05 AM on June 19, 2014

How do I uninstall the CC 2014 versions and remove them from my list of Apps. (I want them gone and out of my way… perhaps when Adobe gets their act together and thinks things all the way through, and comes out with 2014.1… seriously, are we really getting into version numbers again?!?!?) When I signed up for CC, I didn’t sign up for a proliferation of versions. I thought we were moving to a single version, always updated, wherever we use CC. Instead, we get this mess… I need to get some work done, instead of working through all the issues Adobe has created with this “upgrade.”

• By Jeremy - 11:19 AM on June 19, 2014

I have almost all the CC apps installed, and now the CC 2014 apps installed as well.

I’m on Windows 7.

When I go to the Control Panel / Uninstall a program, none of my installed CC apps are listed, so there’s no way to uninstall them.

How can I uninstall them? The link provided in the comments above doesn’t answer this question.

• By Michael Gerschutz - 11:28 AM on June 19, 2014

I opened an .fla i had created with CC in the new CC2014, but noticed my animation had changed. Re-opening back in CC its the same. What changed across the two to do this? I am scared to open any older files in CC2014, but hate having two versions of the same program.

• By Matic - 11:42 AM on June 19, 2014

Dear Ms. Kost!

I would like to ask how can I bring the Perfect Effects shortcut to the panel on the right side of my workspace? In previous CC version I went to Window -> Extensions and there it was. But now, Extensions is grayed out.

Thanks

• By Pixanne Photographies - 12:30 PM on June 19, 2014

La mise à jour Creative Cloud ne fontionne pas pour moi :-( Que faire ?????

• By Winsor White - 1:14 PM on June 19, 2014

Are the new 2014 versions of the programs 100% backward compatible with projects created in the most recent version of CC? I’m thinking specifically of projects I have created recently in Premiere Pro CC. Can I just open them seamlessly in Premiere Pro 2014 and start working?

• By Winsor White - 1:33 PM on June 19, 2014

I answered my own question.

When I just opened a Premiere CC project I created a few days ago, I had to create a new copy of it in the new 2014 version to work on it. Seems to work ok, but I just went through that a couple of months ago when I upgraded to Premier CC from an older version of Premiere. Now it looks like I will have three versions of the same editing project on some of my older projects if I want to use the newest version. I suppose that’s a good reason to keep the old version on my computer, but I really wish the latest upgrade was seamlessly backward compatible with the previous one!

• By ed nazarko - 2:16 PM on June 19, 2014

This is NOT one of Adobe’s finest hours. Had to reinstall Lightroom 5.5 twice before it would work. Despite having CS6 and CC along with CC2014, Bridge and Lightroom will not allow me to edit with anything other than CC2014 – no option offered, despite my plug ins in Lightroom showing up as “edit with” options. Even worse, 2014 transferred zip over in terms of plug ins, configuration choices (not even “zoom on scroll”?), and only SOME of my actions, so I now have a couple hours of playing “find the missing pieces”.

And, since both Bridge and LIghtroom 5.5 are blind to CC and CS6, I have NO OTHER OPTION but to spend that time now, instead of spending it getting my customer’s work out the door to them. I spend over 2 and a half hours on tech support chat, still not fixed… the last recommendation was that I uninstall everything and reinstall everything, and that would fix it. Since I uninstalled and reinstalled LR 5.5 twice before I got it to work at all, I think odds are slim that a third uninstall/reinstall will change things.

I suggest hanging back on these updates – somebody let code out of QA without even the most basic UA testing (does it break functionality that was in the last release.)

• By Pete Green - 5:32 PM on June 19, 2014

Hi Ed,

Sorry for the rough patch you’ve run into with the new installations. Thanks for the feedback per the release, Let’s see if I can help.

Re:Edit with missing CC: Lightroom 5.5 can setup a secondary external editor with which to send files to and you can setup Photoshop CC as the secondary editing application.

Re: Plug-ins: Plug-ins won’t transfer automatically, and some should be reinstalled, some can be moved, but be careful. More info here: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2014/06/2014-release-of-photoshop-cc-faq.html#plugins

Re: Configuration choices: Make sure CC has performed a settings sync in the past, so that when CC 2014 starts up and migrates settings, it has settings “in the cloud” to be able to migrate from. If you don’t get the migration dialog you can download the settings from the server (assuming settings have been synced with CC previously).

Since you still have Photoshop CC on your system, unless you’ve uninstalled it, you should still be able to continue using LR5.5 and Photoshop CC to get the bulk of the client work out, and find the missing pieces in CC2014 a bit later, though I understand that’s not your ideal experience with the new version.

Hope this helps.
      Regards,
      Pete

• By Andre Gonzalez - 3:17 PM on June 19, 2014

only subscribe to the Photographers CC (LR & PS MAY 2014 ), if i update to CC 2014 WILL I BE CHARGE? Is this just a no cost trial? how that works ? help please.

• By Andre Gonzalez - 3:39 PM on June 19, 2014

i mean May 2014

• By Pete Green - 5:19 PM on June 19, 2014

Hi Andre,

What you see should be another Free trial so you can run work with the new desktop applications.

• By Nannette Cook - 3:56 PM on June 19, 2014

Can I transfer my work space from CC to CC 2014?

• By Pete Green - 5:13 PM on June 19, 2014

Hi Nannette,

Yes, they should actually be migrated automatically when you first launch CC 2014. It will ask to migrate your settings, choose yes.
      Workspaces are included in sync settings now, and this can be adjusted within Preferences > Sync Settings.

Regards

• By M. A. - 10:53 PM on June 22, 2014

That didn’t happen. It asked if I wanted to migrate Presets, but nothing else.

My workspace and all Preferences are lost.

• By fastasleep - 5:58 PM on June 19, 2014

Sure is fun manually going through every single app uninstaller (one at a time even, since you can’t have multiple uninstallers running at the same time) after manually going through each app folder after running each one to try and figure out what settings/presets/plugins and what not might’ve not transferred over to the new version.

FUN I tell you.

• By Sarah - 7:40 PM on June 19, 2014

So I updated to 2014, uninstalled Indesign CC, but can’t uninstall any of the other CC programs. I not have duplicates of everything I can’t get rid of. Cleaner was no help. Help?

• By Adobe Victim - 9:26 PM on June 19, 2014

Congratulations Adobe on yet another complete and utter failure.

You said the point of the CC was to implement a continuous and seamless upgrade. But once again you’ve proven that it’s nothing more than a way to shove upgrades down our throats and make sure you’re getting a steady cash flow.

Every step you take becomes more frustrating. I used to love Adobe. Now I hate you with a passion. I’d like to switch to other software, but you’ve managed to gobble up almost every decent alternative.

• By Philipp wiener - 1:52 AM on June 20, 2014

When I realized the 2014 versions would install in addition to the CC versions, I saved all my workspaces, color settings, pdf joboptions and so on – and deinstalled everything which contained the name “Adobe”.

Now I got a clean install without old prefs and unused files and folders.

• By Kevin Sime - 4:55 AM on June 20, 2014

Someone else asked earlier but can’t see the answer.

How do you remove the 2014 “trial” versions from Creative Cloud app list. I’m still showing 3 updates for DW, ID and IL but I don’t subscribe to any of these, and have no wish to try them.

Finally, thanks to user questions, live testing and solutions, I’ve now managed to get most of my apps working properly now. To Adobe…. what a mess of an update. Retaining CC should have been a simple option button as part of the update process and the break in editing link between LR5 and PS 2014 (requiring reinstalls) is amateur.

• By Tony Roper - 6:40 AM on June 20, 2014

What a complete and utter total mess up by Adobe. Having been told I need to get 5 new photos out to a magazine today I switched on my PC and saw there were some updates to CC so clicked away to “update” – 6 hours later, here I am still waiting for the updates (or as I’ve now found out – new programs) to install. I am lucky it is an American publisher that’s 7 hours behind so I may just make the deadline

I now have multiple installations of the software – again a complete farce. What a totally stupid idea by Adobe.

A quick check to a couple of the programs shows that all my screen settings, short cuts etc have not been copied over so I will also have to spend hours getting everything set up to how I like it, before uninstalling the CC (and a CS6 product) I don’t actually want

And this screw up has also showed one other interesting “error” – with Lightroom.

I have CC set up to download my programs to another partition drive so that the C drive didn’t get overloaded with too many programs – just as well seeing as Adobe are now dumping double everything into the specified drive

Anyway, Lightroom when initially installed went onto the partition drive. When an update came along (5.4) unbeknown to me it installed to the C drive (Program files folder). With this new update, it has also installed to the C drive and not the partition drive, but also didn’t remove 5.4 – this now means I have three copies of Lightroom on my PC!!!

I have just spent ages with customer services (who barely spoke English and couldn’t even understand my name, let alone the rest of my problems) and when they finally worked out I was using a different folder/drive to “Program Files” they then said they were unable to support me as I was using an un-recommended folder/drive

This is a total cop out and a disgrace, especially for something I am paying near to £50 a month for – I pointed out that there is the option to install to a different location on the CC set-up page but that didn’t matter apparently – I am now unsupported

To make things even more annoying, Adobe don’t have any method of complaining about them or their services

Having been an Adobe customer for many many years today I am totally p*****d off with their products and attitude

• By Ryan Keene - 7:19 AM on June 20, 2014

I did not get anything asking me to migrate from Illustrator CC to Illustrator CC 2014. In fact if you go to Illustrator menu under your username and click sync Sync Settings Now, NOTHING HAPPENS!!!! EPIC FAIL ADOBE!!!!! We were promised we would not have to deal with this crap anymore after subscribing to CC and here we go again…

• By Justin DeAre - 7:21 AM on June 20, 2014

I ended up with 4-5 different versions of InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop due to this update. (CS6, CC, CC (64-bit), CC (2014), etc). May I suggest that there be an option during the update process to remove/replace the older versions?

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:28 AM on June 20, 2014

I am certain that the Creative Cloud team will be doing everything that they can to solve this (and additional customer issues) in the future.

• By Holly Tarquinio - 7:53 AM on June 20, 2014

I imagine that if the keep applying big updates as new software downloads eventually I will have to unitstall the older versions. I mean a computer only has so much room. Having mulitple copies of Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign etc etc would drag a system down at some point.

Is there a way to see what is not supported any longer?

• By Nathaniel Sidwell - 8:07 AM on June 20, 2014

Why didn’t these updated apps just replace the existing apps? Now we have two version of these apps on our computers. And everybody has to uninstall the older versions?

I’m just confused. Wasn’t that the beauty of Creative Cloud? Seamless updates to newer versions? I thought that’s why you dropped the version numbers. We don’t have to worry about versions, installing or uninstalling, just continuous easy updates?

• By Nathaniel Sidwell - 8:17 AM on June 20, 2014

Maybe this was addressed in the post. “Note: there are a number of different reasons that customers ask Adobe to create versions, including both hardware and software compatibility issues, access to features that are no longer supported as a result, support for external plug-ins etc.”

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:56 AM on June 20, 2014

Let me give a more concrete example. The 2014 release of Photoshop CC no longer supports MAC OS X 10.6, Extension panels using Flash nor the Oil Paint filter. Of course these were tough decisions (and you can read more about it here). Creating new versions (Photoshop 15 is the new version of the 2014 release of CC), enables us to run that version side by side with the older version so that we can access these features (Extension panelsusing Flash and the Oil Paint filter) by keeping the older version installed.
        I’m sure that I will be bashed in the comments, but I understand why the team could no longer support these features, I am excited about all of the new features in this release, and although it’s not perfect (hey, neither am I), I’m glad that I’m still able to access the Oil Paint filter (by keeping the oder version installed) for when and if I ever need it.
        Or course there are additional reasons external to Adobe for implementing product versioning – I imagine that the new support for HiDPI on Windows for example, might cause some third party developers to need to make significant updates which require their plug-ins to be reinstalled.

• By Tim - 9:20 AM on June 20, 2014

This also basically means that Creative Cloud has failed in its intent, which is to unify things and make it easier to update the software for users. Although, I really believe the original intent is just to make Adobe more money through the subscription service.

What I don’t understand is why anyone that would want to keep older versions around would even pay for a subscription? Isn’t that the whole point? So you can keep updating your software without buying a new version every time? Makes no sense.

• By Pete Green - 9:52 AM on June 20, 2014

Hi Tim,

Sorry it hasn’t been ideal for you. Since this was a major update, we installed a completely new version of Photoshop CC, instead of “patching” in the old one. We felt it was safer to leave the old CC installation available in case people needed something in that version. If you’d like, You can safely remove the old Photoshop CC.
          Some folks will decide to keep the new version and the old for a while for now so that plug-ins stay functional, and current workflows don’t get interrupted. Users have asked for a bit of Milestoning with each version and this is a way to go about that. A packaged version that indeed does work on a set of OS’s and hardware.

Hope this helps give some background.
          Regards

• By Andrew - 10:15 AM on June 20, 2014

How about people who have current workflows that will break with upgrade, just delay their own upgrade? I feel like you’re making the process more troublesome for the majority for the sake of a minority.

• By Catalin Botez - 9:16 AM on June 21, 2014

No, Pete, if one uninstalls the Ps CC one may have problems. Like me. I updated to Ps CC2014. No plug-ins. Thanks to Glyn Dewis’ website, I copyied/pasted the Nik plug-ins into the 2014. Then, I uninstalled CC. Surprise!!! Bridge didn’t work with CC 2014! When I wanted to open a file through File/Browse in Bridge…, the CC app window kept appearing but Bridge did not fire up. And I have Bridge installed on my machine! After 3 hours spent in chat with a wonderful Adobe guy from Bangalore, India (!?), I re-installed CC, keeping CC 2014. And, surprise!!! Bridge started to work with 2014 version!! So, now, I have to keep both versions in order to keep Bridge working, because I use Bridge in my workflow. How can you explain this?

• By Brian Hopps - 8:34 AM on June 20, 2014

Can’t update to CC2014? When I run Update from Photoshop CC Adobe Application Manager says All applications are up to date?

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:57 AM on June 20, 2014

Bryan, could you please launch the CC desktop app?

• By Brian Hopps - 4:06 AM on June 21, 2014

Creative Cloud had blown away so I re-installed it thanks. Reading the posts on here I am now hesitant to install CC2014 and like others have posted I thought that the subscription service would make life easier with seamless updates etc. It appears that isn’t the case and now i am wondering if it’s best to cancel the subscription and re-install CS6 – not happy

• By B.Moore - 8:37 AM on June 20, 2014

None of my Dreamweaver Settings or WorkSpaces were migrated.

This is ridiculous.

I am afraid to even open Photoshop or Illustrator….

• By Andrew - 10:13 AM on June 20, 2014

I too think this new version release was done in the least desirable manner. People who need multiple versions should be given an option to fork their installation. I think an overwrite/replace update should be the default.

• By ProDesignTools - 12:56 PM on June 20, 2014

Well, we definitely need separate milestone releases for the purposes of identifying a specific version for things like books, training, certifications, file format changes, featureset identification, tech support, o/s compatibility, and on and on…

So we’ve got to have some major version numbering handles otherwise we float into the future forever with the same moniker and nobody can anchor around these things.

Perhaps the question is more as to when a particular upgrade installs a new version onto your computer, can there be a selectable option to either uninstall or keep the previous release at the user’s choice…

Other software products prompt for this kind of decision, and it seems that offering such an option (together with smooth migration of setting and presets) could go a long way to making the next major upgrade more seamless.

• By Doug - 1:01 PM on June 20, 2014

This is a TERRIBLE user experience. Without warning, these updates ate up nearly all my hard drive space. THEN, i cannot uninstall illustrator CC because there’s no uninstaller for it. And also it is asking me to try lightroom 5, which i already have installed. :(

• By Flemming Rasmussen - 1:11 AM on June 21, 2014

I strongly advise people to think twice before updating to CC2014 . We are several users that are now stuck in an endless loop of “Sign in” / “License this software” prompts and being unable to use any of the apps like Ps, Ai, Id.

• By Alan Ralph - 3:22 AM on June 21, 2014

Hi Julieanne, I was pointed here from the Adobe forums – just wanted to share my thoughts on CC 2014, specifically the rationale for a separate installation.

I could understand this for the move from CS6 to CC last year, because there were a *lot* of changes under-the-hood, as well as several apps dropped from the suite (Fireworks, Encore). I’m not totally convinced this time round that the number of changes from the latest CC to CC 2014 justify a completely separate install. The only other explanation that I can come up with is that Adobe are not 100% certain that the new features introduced in CC 2014 will work correctly across all users’ systems. If that is the case, then surely the answer would be to have an expanded beta-test program, then slip-stream them into users’ existing CC installations. As it is, the way CC 2014 is being rolled out means a lot of extra work for users in terms on installation and setup. I’m speaking here as a fan of Creative Cloud – I really feel that this situation is *not* helping Adobe to sell the benefits of CC to those still on older versions of Creative Suite who have yet to be tempted by the subscription model.

• By Sam Breach - 12:28 PM on June 21, 2014

I am not terribly happy having updated, to find these multiple versions of everything. For the longest time I had been happy with my workflow which went as follows:
    Lightroom > open file from LR into Photoshop > back to Lightroom for final colour tweaks > Export
    Then, when CC came along, I found I could no longer work on large files over 2gig, like I had done with CS6, so for the times when I was doing heavy artwork I would have to switch back to CS6.
    Now I find that the oil filter has also been removed. Why on earth? I use this often, in very subtle ways. So now I have to keep that old CC version just for that.
    If Adobe continues in this manner of removing functionality that I rely on for my work I am going to have to one very messy and confusing set up on my machine and my work flow is screwed. LR only allows for one version of CC (the main version) to open the file as a smart object, for example. What if I want to work on a large file using oil paint with a smart object?
    I do not want to use PSBs as they are not recognized by LR so would mess up my filing system which is totally based around smart folders and key words in Lightroom.
    I am having a sinking feeling that something that was working well is about to turn into a big old mess of confusion about which versions were created using which software and instead of becoming smoother, my work day just got worse. Sad :(

• By Rick - 5:17 PM on June 21, 2014

I’ve been a Creative Cloud subscriber for over a year now. Am I still supposed to be seeing the “Start Adobe Trial” window when I go to open each application?

• By Jen - 6:21 PM on June 21, 2014

I can’t even get to the update. I launch CC and it just gives me a blank box and a whirligig that goes for hours. I am pretty sure it is not updating any apps. I am able to launch AI at least but I am loathe to do anything until this is resolved, given that the comments are not at all complementary.

• By Pablo Alberti - 8:13 PM on June 21, 2014

I can’t update my cc 2014 when it comes to 42% the download stop’s and seams to be broken, help.

• By Antico Paul - 8:58 AM on June 22, 2014

I too am having the problems on my late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro with 10.9.3. Running AME it won’t launch. PPro puts it into a crazy 100% CPU loop from 4 instances of “GPU sniffer” and only a hard reboot fixes that. Do they even test this stuff? This is a joke.

Earlier versions of CC up to the most recent CC work fine, and the whole suite including 2014 works fine on my late 2013 Mac Pro.

• By Tom C - 3:25 PM on June 22, 2014

Must be a super crappy job having to defend Adobe these days. I feel sorry for you. Not as sorry as I do for myself and other paying customers who have to put up with Adobe until a full set of alternative apps step in to topple it…

But still, sorry.

It’s not even the basic facts of the process: that you needed to create new versions of the apps instead of updating.

It’s each and every step that should have proceeded, occurred during, or followed the process.

Just…bungled. In every sense of the word and every possible way.

• By Tom C - 3:42 PM on June 22, 2014

Also…I have no idea what this “migration tool” or whatever is supposed to be, because I’ve never seen anything like it from Adobe – ever – when updating apps (something I’ve been doing for nearly 20 years now).

I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to manually export/import, or copy manually via the desktop, or just recreate from scratch my workspaces, actions, and other presets…

Isn’t the whole point of the cloud to store information in a place where all apps and devices can get to it? Information like application presets?

• By Justin DeAre - 8:26 AM on June 23, 2014

To add insult to injury, when I uninstalled all the old versions, my file associations were removed as well, and Photoshop and Illustrator CC (2014) do not show up in Win7’s Default Programs list. Additionally, trying to navigate to Photoshop.exe through the “Open With…” dialog doesn’t work either. Image files just open with Windows Picture Viewer, or not at all.

So I guess next I will try uninstalling Photoshop completely and reinstalling. Just a warning to anyone else who happens upon this blog post.

• By Pete Green - 4:24 PM on June 23, 2014

Sorry about the frustration Justin. Sounds like you’re doing the necessary steps at this point.
      Regards

• By Todd Ingalls - 2:33 AM on June 27, 2014

Considering many users on Windows after moving to CC2014 and subsequently removing the “redundant” previous CC installs will experience this unoptimum experience, is uninstalling all installed CC2014 apps and then redownloading and installing really the most lean method for handling this?
        The other offered method found for Windows (http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/file-associations-broken-uninstall-applications.html) is almost as convoluted consierung most users won’t known what all the file associations should be.
        In order to improve the user experience, would it not make sense to offer a “fix associations” function in each application (similar to many other Windows applications on the market) and in the interim until this “feature” can be rolled into a dot release, offer the user community a repair script?

• By Justin DeAre - 9:21 AM on June 27, 2014

Todd, this is the only way I got the file associations to work correctly. Basically uninstall everything and then reinstall the newest version only. So far I had to do that for Photoshop and Illustrator (I still use InDesign CS6 alongside CC so I didn’t do anything with that).

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:39 AM on June 23, 2014

Could you please post your question to the Premiere forum?
    -j

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:11 AM on June 23, 2014

Can you please post your comments to the Premiere forum:

• By Michael Piper - 12:25 PM on June 23, 2014

Last week, around June 18, the option to install CS6 or CC was available from the CC window. Today, I can only install 2014. No CS6 or CC options are available, and the little drop-down that was next to the “INSTALL” button no longer shows up.

I’m guessing someone accidentally turned off the multiple install option. Can we get this fixed??

• By Andrew - 3:21 PM on June 23, 2014

If you are going to make your customers go through the hassle of uninstalling the previous years’ version of the CC apps, at least make a single uninstaller app where one can click checkboxes and uninstall the apps all at once, or, better yet, make it possible to uninstall apps via the Creative Cloud app in the menu bar. Surely there is a major technical reason that you didn’t do this?

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:47 AM on June 25, 2014

I’m sure that the installer team is looking into a way to make this process easier for all of us in the future.

• By Mike - 6:32 PM on June 23, 2014

There is no way the “upgrade” of Premiere Pro could have passed even the most modest testing. It is a steaming hunk of crap. I’m, working on a documentary that airs in a week, I updated, opened the project (which means I can’t go back) and now I get to watch my hard drive light stay on for hours at a time while waiting for Premiere Pro CC 2014.

I’ve forced quit so many times I’ve lost count.

Won’t play, can’t export, can’t do a thing. I’m sweating bullets here and may have to go cap in hand to a broadcaster to explain how adobe decide to kill their own editing software.

We’re planning a series in the fall, 4 editors, a years work, and regardless of whatever fix you’ve planned we’ll be using Avid.

Any adobe-vangelist who wants to apologize for the frustration can save it for someone who won’t be awake for the next week trying to save his/her career.

I can’t believe you released this, I will be speaking to the head of Video tomorrow. We may discuss a legal remedy if the Broadcaster decides to take their money back.

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:46 AM on June 25, 2014

Mike, could you please post your comments to the Premiere Forums?

• By Sydney Fernandes - 7:17 AM on June 24, 2014

Hey,

Just install all of updates like always, and beside that now I have my computer with 1gb free, but that isn’t the problem at all, cuz u are no Apple.

My question is, how to I un-install the previous version of 2014 and merge all the plugins, patherns, and everything from the version before?

GRRRR
    Guys, isn’t this products for professionals? So what about don’t play with our times?

• By Dana - 10:05 AM on June 24, 2014

I have Adobe CC installed. To get CC 2014, what do I need to do? There are no update prompts for this version in the updater. Will I get an email telling me to login and download new versions? Or is this a separate, new purchase?

• By Carrie Green - 10:17 PM on June 24, 2014

Why are many of the apps in Creative Cloud now showing a ‘Try’ button instead of ‘Install’? I am a full paying subscriber and have been for years. Does this mean I am going to be charged more on my subscription?

I unwittingly installed 2014 release of the apps the other day thinking they were merely updates to the existing ones. This was after I spent considerable time removing all the CS6 versions to clean up my system, and now I have 2 installations of each app again :-/. I did however uninstall Dreamweaver CS6 without having CC installed already, so now I only have Dreamweaver CC 2014 available as a ‘Try’ for 30 days option. WTF?

Has the range of apps available with the subscription been reduced? I’ve always thought that all apps were included when paying the full price ($50 per month) subscription, so I am now worried that by stupidly installing the 2014 versions I will suddenly be charged more in 30 days.

• By mediumstudio - 6:00 AM on June 25, 2014

Dreamweaver gives me the wheel every time I click and crashes on Live View.

• By L's angel - 12:53 AM on June 26, 2014

so, new versions… hmmm… it said updates.

i don’t want double apps but i also don’t want unstable new versions.

do i trash the old versions or do i trash the new versions?

• By Mike - 3:57 AM on June 26, 2014

Hi Julieanne, great update!
    Is there any way we could get the ability to open any of the apps directly from the CC Desktop app? It seems like such a seemless thing to do, to be able to just double-click any of the icons and have the given program start, but I can’t seem to do it.
    Thank you!

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:47 AM on June 26, 2014

Not currently.

• By Darren - 5:14 AM on June 28, 2014

Ok so now I have both installed CC 2014 and CC but I also use Bridge but when opening up an image from Bridge to PS I only have the option to open with PS 2014 so what if I wanted to use the oil paint filter I have to go the long way around to open the image. Surly Adobe could have ensured that you have the option when right clicking on an image in bridge to choose PS 2014 or just PS

• By Ray - 6:29 AM on June 30, 2014

I just uninstalled the new CC2014 version.
    Adobe really screwed up with this new version.– CC was supposed to be an automatic thing, without having to worry about new versions.
    I am seriously considering just chucking Photoshop and going with Gimp or something else.
    I am a long time user of Adobe–and I own adobe stock, but when this “professional” product makes me jump through so many hoops–I find myself spending more time maintaining the software than using the software.
    Adobe has their hand in my pocket every month, and they still want me to have to worry about new versions.

Several people in this blog have asked if there was an additional charge for CC2014—This question was never answered. Can you answer this concern with a simple “yes” or “no”?

• By Theresa J - 10:58 AM on June 30, 2014

I absolutely loathe Adobe now. I’ve been loathing it for a while. My workspaces are gone and won’t be migrated. I’ve moved away from Dreamweaver to Coda 2 for my web coding. If I could find a compatible replacement for Photoshop (Pixelmator looks interesting – I wonder how compatible it is with PS?), InDesign (Quark is a nightmare), and Illustrator (Sketch looks interesting), I’d be gone from my $50 a month extortion in a heartbeat. Instead, I’m just going to uninstall all 2014 versions of software on my computer and ignore the update icons in my menubar. Oh, and thanks for making all the 2014 versions the default. #fail

• By Brian - 2:45 PM on July 1, 2014

Yes, I know how to uninstall the older versions. Why is it on me to go through that process? Let me be the hundredth person to voice my frustration.