by Julieanne Kost

Comments (24)

October 6, 2014

The new Libraries panel in Photoshop CC (Window > Library) is a powerful way to store different design elements in an easily accessible panel, which can then be quickly applied across multiple documents as well as shared with Adobe Illustrator.

The default view set to show items as icons. The view changed -  I prefer to show items by list.

The default Libraries view (on the left) is set to show items as icons. I personal prefer to show items by list (on the right). Use the fly-out menu on the Libraries panel to change this setting.

For example, if you have a logo that you regularly add to documents, you can open your logo file in Photoshop, select the logo layer in the Layer’s panel (or Layer Group if the logo is made up of multiple layers) and click the Add Graphic icons at the bottom left of the Libraries panel to “store” the logo in the panel. This “stored” version is saved locally as well as copied to the Creative Cloud making it accessible across multiple installs using the same Adobe ID. (For example, if you have two copies of Photoshop installed – one at home and one at work you will have access to the content of your Libraries panel in both locations).2014_10Logo00

When you want to apply that logo to additional documents, drag and drop the logo icon in the Libraries panel on to the open document. Note: you can also drag from the document area into the Libraries panel to store a Layer/Layer Group and, if you prefer, you can right mouse click on the icon in the Libraries panel to select “Use in Document” to apply that layer to another document. You can also Control -click (Mac)  |  Right -click Win to see additional options for each of the elements stored in your Libraries.

In addition to storing graphics (including Layers, Layer Groups, and Smart Objects), text styles (including font, type style, color, size, tracking, and leading), layer styles, and colors (fill, stroke, and foreground) can all be added to the Libraries panel. The Libraries panel can display brushes that are captured via the Adobe Brushes app (but not brushes created in Photoshop). If you have saved items in the Libraries panel in Adobe Illustrator, you will see those items in your Libraries panel in Photoshop and vice versa. If the element is understood by both products, then you can use them across applications. If the item being stored is specific to one application then, although you can view it in the Library, you will not be able to use it. (There might be some debate over whether or not we should be able to see items in a Library that we can’t use, but I believe  it’s better that we can see all of the items regardless if we can use them or not – which could potentially cause confusion and lead us to believe that they are “missing” from one Library or another).

You can create as many Libraries as needed to help organize commonly used assets for different projects (click on My Library and choose Create New Library from the drop down menu).

You can view these assets in Creative Cloud by choosing View on Web from the fly-out menu on the Libraries panel.

If you are not online, you are still able to use items stored in your Libraries (a local, offline, copy is available). Any changes will be synced once you get back online. Note: the content stored in Libraries is not “linked”, meaning that if you add or apply the item that is saved in the Library and then make a change to that content in the document, the layer style, graphic, color etc.,  will not be automatically updated in the Library.

In addition, although technically the Libraries panel can support any size graphics (including Layer Groups that might include multiple, high resolution smart objects), I wouldn’t recommend storing really large files in your Libraries as they might reduce performance. There is a limit of 1000 elements in the Libraries.

Finally, setting type in a layer in Photoshop CC and then saving it as a Type Style in the Libraries panel enables that Type Style to be used in Illustrator. It would be useful to have Libraries use Paragraph and Character styles from Photoshop, but unfortunately there are slight differences between the way that the type engines in Photoshop and Illustrator display some type attributes.

• By Yves/CH - 9:08 AM on October 6, 2014

Please, on what menu can I find the equivalent of ‘ Window > Library)’ in PS CC2014 in french! I Thanks again for all this informations…Yves / CH

• By Yves/CH - 1:05 PM on October 6, 2014

I had not loaded the latest version of PS!
      Yves / CH

• By Todd - 1:55 PM on October 6, 2014

Is there a way to share libraries amongst groups?

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:01 AM on October 10, 2014

Not that I know of.

• By Daniel Ocando - 8:17 AM on October 7, 2014

Hi! have you notice that if you add a group containing a text layer in the library, when you place it back to any document brings the text layer as no updated text (black warning triangle), is just me or is something that is going to be fixed in future updates?

• By Jacob R - 8:21 AM on October 7, 2014

Just updated and I dont see this feature yet. Is it only available for a certain group of people?

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:59 AM on October 10, 2014

Libriaries should be accessible after running the October update. Please check under the Window menu if it’s not showing. Otherwise, it might be more helpful to post your question to the Photoshop Forum to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

• By Matt Anderson - 7:02 AM on October 8, 2014

I have a work creative cloud account, and a home creative cloud account ( separate users ). I would really LOVE to be able to share the library or have access to each library. ( ie I’m at work and want access to my home creative cloud library and vice versa ) Is there a way to do this ? It would also be handy for collaboration with other artists. If it’s not possible, and you put it in the “request box” … 😉 Thanks ahead of time for your help.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 9:00 AM on October 8, 2014

It’s not currently available, but we do want to enable more collaboration with Libraries. Thanks for the request Matt.

• By Alex - 2:21 PM on October 8, 2014

The very first thing I tried to do within the new Libraries panel was add a custom brush I had created within Photoshop. I then went searching for how to do this and found this post. Why was this specifically excluded?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 10:48 AM on October 9, 2014

It’s a 1.0 feature. Additional functionality and support for file types is forthcoming.

• By Matt Anderson - 12:38 PM on October 9, 2014

By Alex – 2:21 PM on October 8, 2014 Reply

Me too… basically all those things brushes, styles, actions, tool presets, css, …
      A handy proxy (the library panel) thats an aggregate of your environment you can have anywhere…

Oh to dream

Now if only we can get the Edge Animate team to add extension builder type functionality to the program, so I can create my custom photoshop panels in edge animate vs eclipse.

• By Tzeitel Sorrosa - 1:38 PM on October 10, 2014

I’m using PS CC latest update and still don’t see the Library tool. Any idea where this is hiding? Thanks!

• By Robert Benson - 2:31 AM on October 11, 2014

I think I have encountered a bug in the new Libraries feature.

I just updated to the October 2014 update of 64bit Photoshop CC 2014 and as soon as I opened it the libraries window was white and flickering several times a second non-stop. I uninstalled and reinstalled this version of Photoshop to no avail. Have gone into Windows menu in PS and unchecked “Libraries” and the blinking window closed. All other features seem to be working fine.

I’m running Windows 7 pro fully updated, i72600K processor, Nvidia GTX 970 video card with current WQL drivers (344.16).

Bob Benson

• By Susanna S. - 2:54 PM on October 16, 2014

I’m confused about whether or not we can share libraries or not.

In the adobe max keynote video:, he clearly shows that you can collaborate your libraries with other members in your team.. but I do not see that functionality on my end.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 1:41 PM on October 17, 2014

It’s a feature we’ll likely enable in a future update.

• By ian - 8:14 PM on October 16, 2014

Within my photoshop workflow I currently use paragraph and character styles. If I want to change the font,leading etc it’s easy as it will automatically updates all instances. The library feature looks great but is there a way to do the same.

For example I’ve added a ‘font’ to the library which I’m using for a body copy, I can’t edit it and have it globally update all the text areas that share it?

• By Leandro - 2:13 AM on October 17, 2014

PLEASE, allow for sharing libraries among different accounts. This will be awesome!

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 1:40 PM on October 17, 2014

Thanks. It’s something you’ll likely see an update. 🙂

• By Keith - 3:26 PM on October 18, 2014

how do you share libraries between different accounts?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 12:13 PM on October 20, 2014

It’s a feature we’ll likely enable in a future update.