by Julieanne Kost

Comments (16)

Created

November 20, 2014

If you are not familiar with Lightroom’s web interface, it’s an excellent way to share collections of images with clients and friends so that they can make comments and add “likes” to images. This collaboration process can occur on any device that has web access via a browser (in other words, your clients and friends don’t have to have Lightroom or download any special viewing utility to see the collections that you share with them  – they do however need an Adobe ID).

To view all of your synced collections within a browser, go to lightroom.adobe.com. Or, from within the Lightroom desktop app, choose Help > View Your Synced Collections on the Web.

2014-11_lrwebCollections

Click on a collection to view the contents.

2014-11_lrweb

Click on an image to view it. When someone else views your image, they will be able to add “comments” and “like” you image (see how to share your Collections below).

2014-11_lrwebImage

To view a collection in the web interface from within the Lightroom desktop app, Control -click (Mac)  |  Right -click (Win) on any synced collection in the Collection panel and choose Lightroom Mobile Link > View on Web.

2014-11_viewonweb

Synced collections can be public or private (they are private by default). To share your collection, click the Share button at the top-right of the Grid View.

2014-11_ShareCollection

Once you have made a collection public, you can easily copy and share the link as well as choose to Unshare at any time.

2014-11_SharelinkUnshare

Note: since Lightroom mobile is a service, it is available only via membership plans. Lightroom 5 perpetual license does not include access to Lightroom mobile. Click here for the FAQ for Lightroom mobile.

Since I can’t figure out how to add an illustration in the comments, here is a screenshot of the little triangle under the name of a collect. When clicked, it displays the Custom Sort order that was asked about in the comments…

2014_11CustomSort

COMMENTS

• By André Meyer-Vitali - 6:13 AM on November 20, 2014

Hi, this is a great new feature. Unfortunately, liking and commenting on the shared web site is restricted to people with Adobe IDs. It would be very helpful to remove this restriction and allow for feedback without requiring an account, by optionally leaving a name and email address, for example. Thanks!

• By Julieanne Kost - 6:53 AM on November 20, 2014

That is true, you do need an Adobe ID. You can get a free Adobe account without having to subscribe to a product.

• By André Meyer-Vitali - 7:31 AM on November 20, 2014

Correct, it’s free to make an account, except for the information you need to provide 😉 Just recently, I thought to use this for a photo contest with public voting, but the lack of the ability to like/comment without an Adobe ID made me think differently. Certainly, many non-photographers don’t like the idea. The same applies to clients, btw. Hope this will come in the near future. Thanks again!

• By Tony Roberts - 6:29 AM on November 20, 2014

JK: I am totally confused by this post. I am looking for a way to collaborate with one or more of my students. We have been using Dropbox but it’s getting difficult to share folders within folders. Ideally, the Adobe scheme should work but your explanation wasn’t too sharp.
    I think a step-by-step approach would be useful. For instance, when I clicked on Help>View Your Synced Collections on the Web I did so and got a error message saying you have no synced collection. So how do I do that? and then how do I share that with my student, Donn?
    Please, more clarity would help.
    Thanks,
    Tony Roberts

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:00 AM on November 20, 2014

Tony, you can learn all about Lightroom mobile (including how to sync a collection) with the videos I have posted here:
      Lightroom’s web interface is for sharing collections of images for other people to view, comment on and “like” not for file sharing (the distribution of the original images).
      julieanne

• By John I. Clark - 7:18 AM on November 21, 2014

It seems crazy to refer to this as “collaboration”, but restrict the ability for collaborators to download the images?!? At least give us the choice of whether to allow it or not…

Almost all similar services do that!

• By Alastair Merrill - 6:45 AM on November 21, 2014

I agree with Andre, it’s a very valid and important point that he makes. The ability to share with clients, and make it easy for them to choose, comment and instruct on images is fantastic, but it’s so important to reduce any obstacles for clients. Setting up an account and password isn’t something that everyone will be prepared to do, and it’s just another complication explaining to a client why they need to do this, and reassuring them that it’s okay.

• By Alastair Merrill - 2:01 PM on November 21, 2014

Sorry – me again! Using LR Web to communicate with clients has such potential, but those who are less tech-confident/web literate may not necessarily work out how to use it, so it would be useful for us to be able to provide our customers with a link to a very simple and clear tutorial/video on how to navigate, like and comment (for touch screen and keyboard users), or have an obvious help facility within LR Web. Thanks for a great development – removing the Adobe Account requirement and providing help for those who may not find the web interface intuitive would make this the perfect tool for us to communicate and work efficiently with our clients.

• By Jason Nakleh - 2:59 PM on November 21, 2014

JK: Maybe you can help me. I just spent over an hour in online chat with Adobe Support and cannot get an answer. I just created a collection in LR 5.7, and then clicked “share” to get my custom URL to send to my client- so they could view, like and comment. In the collection in Lightroom, I have the images sorted by filename- which is the way I want my client to see them.

But when I go to the shared link, the images are sorted by Capture Time- which doesn’t help me. I don’t see how to arrange the images in the shared gallery by filename- no matter how I have them sorted in Lightroom itself, there doesn’t seem to be a way to change the sort order. [And I don’t want my client to have to do this, I want it by default to display in the sort order that I set in Lightroom]

Do you think you can help with this? Is there a way to set the sort order for these galleries? If not, it seems like a waste of time- photographers and retouchers need to be able to sort the images in the way that best suits the story..

thanks!

• By Julieanne Kost - 5:23 PM on November 25, 2014

Under the name of the collection there is a triangle. Click on it to see the sort options.

• By Richard Danek - 7:31 AM on November 23, 2014

It would be so nice to be able to share a site for comments and likes without requiring that a client (or friend or family member) get an Adobe ID. I wonder if there’s a scheme where a guest ID account could be set up for this. I suppose one could just create a dummy ID and give that out, but that’s probably not a great idea, either.

• By Bosse Kinnås - 7:40 AM on November 23, 2014

I love this new feature but it is unfortunatelly not quite “there” yet for me:

1, The need to be logged in w your AdobeID to comment. This is the main flaw and it makes an otherwise splendid idea almost unusable. Today I use LR-webgalleries that I upload to my site via ftp and my clients need to email me with the filenames they want me to deliver. With this new feature it would be so easy for them to just comment or like a photo but they can´t. Some do not have an AdobeID, some have corporate IDs and have no idea which it is or they are not given it by the IT-technician etc.

2, I´d love to be able to choose between a couple of grid-layouts. This one is fine but the possibility to choose for a example one with a more strict layout and maybe with the comments or descriptions visible below the thumbs.

3. I´d also love to somewhere put a link to my regular website.

I find this a very good start for something that hopefully someday will be very good. As it is now it isn´t there yet. This is closer: http://shop.theturninggate.net/collections/all/products/client-response-gallery

Regards,
    // Bosse Kinnås

• By Markus - 8:20 AM on November 23, 2014

Why is this blog not responsive? Great content, but hard to read on my mobile..
    BE