Develop Presets Available for Lightroom CC

Adobe Lightroom Classic

04_21presetslr
I am posting the presets that I often demonstrate while discussing Lightroom’s Develop module. Although many are basic, I hope that they will help show what’s possible in many of the panels.  To install: download and unzip the presets for Lightroom JKostBasicPresets and place the folders in the following location:
• Mac (user)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets
• Win (user)/Application Data/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets
Note: If you are on a Mac, the Library menu may be hidden depending on your operating system. To reveal it, hold the Option key down while selecting the “Go” menu in the Finder.
The presets include settings for converting color images to grayscale, color toning using both the Split Tone and Tone Curve panels, selective color removal, lens correction, and grain and post crop vignetting These presets are meant to be a starting point, you can customize any of them as you see fit, save your own, and delete the one’s that you don’t in alignment to your style/workflow.

Adobe Lightroom Classic

Posted on 04-22-2015

Comments

• By Julie - 6:00 AM on April 22, 2015

• By Randell John - 6:04 AM on April 22, 2015

Thanks Julianne, very useful. Love the new LR CC especially the Pano and HDR functions.
    The enhancements to the Slideshow Module are brilliant. Just what I needed for putting quickly putting together Slideshows at weddings.
    You’ve all done a great job.

• By Syd Thomson - 6:43 AM on April 22, 2015

Many thanks for them

• By Syd Thomson - 6:44 AM on April 22, 2015

Thanks in anticipation.

• By Tom Wickstrom - 9:10 AM on April 22, 2015

The zip archive containing the presets appears to be corrupt. I get an error when attempting to expand on a Mac

• By Tom Wickstrom - 9:15 AM on April 22, 2015

Finally expanded after multiple attempts

• By Kjell Pettersen - 12:44 PM on April 22, 2015

Cannot unzip the file. Get an error message both on Mac and Windows. File is corrupt?

• By Steve - 3:55 PM on April 22, 2015

I cannot download the zip file. In Safari I get the message that says “the network connection was lost” and my connection works just fine. Suggestions? I’d really like these presets as a new Lightroom 6 user. Thanks.

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:02 PM on April 22, 2015

I just uploaded another zip file, although I know that some of you had success downloading the previous one. Sorry, I hope this works for everyone. I’m not sure what the problem is.

• By Connie - 4:31 AM on April 23, 2015

I can download, but get a message when I try to “unzip” it. It says that it is unable to expand, with an “Error 1 – Operation not permitted”. I can unzip other files. Any suggestions?

• By Connie - 5:32 AM on April 24, 2015

I tried again later, and it now works. Thanks for whatever you did to fix it.

• By Mike Cooper - 5:41 AM on April 23, 2015

Julieanne

Keep trying to download file, but it will not open.

Filename has a “.download” after the .zip. Tried yesterday and today. Have tried “save as”, “download link”.

No luck. Using OS X

• By Mike Cooper - 5:44 AM on April 23, 2015

All good. File did finally completely download and unzip.

Thank you.

• By Greg Meyer - 8:44 PM on April 22, 2015

just wondering if you know of another place to look in windows…i’ve searched and cant find:
    Application Data/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets
    and under the search program, it doesn’t even find a heading “application data” so just wondering if there was an easy way to find this, or I’m just not geek enough….thanks..g

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:55 PM on April 22, 2015

In the Lightroom Preferences, click on the Presets tab and then click on “Show Lightroom Presets Folder”. That might be an easier way to navigate to the correct folder. And be sure that the folders aren’t nested within the Develop Module folder. Lightroom can only “see” presets that are one subfolder deep.

• By Henning - 12:32 AM on April 23, 2015

That’s very generous. I really look foward to use your presets. Unfortunately, the zip-file ist corrupt. The archive cannot be opened. On Mac and Win. Do you have a workaround?

• By Murk - 1:34 AM on April 23, 2015

Thanks for sharing the presets, but I can’t extract the ZIP-file (on a Mac). It says:
    ‘There was a problem while reading the contents of the file “JKostBasicPresets.zip”: The archve file is incomplete’

• By Andreas Fürbach - 3:54 AM on April 23, 2015

Dear Julieanne,

I also cannoot unzip the file …

Best regards.

Andreas

• By Phil W - 4:28 AM on April 23, 2015

Cannot unzip the file on Mac: (Error 1 – Operation not permitted.)

• By eliz - 6:57 AM on April 23, 2015

for win 7, presets can be copied to:
    C:\Users\{user-name}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets\Lightroom Presets

• By Jackie Burwood - 8:22 AM on April 23, 2015

Julieanne,

Have tried downloading a few times on two different computers and the download freezes.

The Filename has .”download” after the “.zip”.

We are getting a “network connection was lost” error message, our connection is fine.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

• By Tony - 9:15 AM on April 23, 2015

JKostBasicPresets will not download to my Mac. Tired Safari and Firefox. When i do get a zip file visible it will not unpack saying it is damaged. Is there any other way i can obtain this preset. Regards

• By Tony - 9:19 AM on April 23, 2015

….If by magic 🙂 just downloaded and unpacked. Thanks.

• By Thom - 12:14 AM on April 24, 2015

When I was use Lightroom 5, I could right click the photo(s) and select a preset I want to apply in “Develop Settings”. It speed up my time of processing a lot. However, I’ve just switched to Lightroom 6 now and I’ve found that I can’t do that again in Lightroom 6 (no presets are shown in “Develop Settings” after right-clicking the photo(s)). I love that function so much that, can Adobe consider to add the feature back in Lightroom 6?

• By Richard - 3:36 PM on April 27, 2015

Many thanks for the presets (and all your work, by the way). A question: I primarily use Lightroom on raw images. Increasingly I composite in Photoshop. Both in the CC versions. Integration’s getting better and better i.e by opening raw files in PS as Smart Objects, but presets are a hurdle: I have hundreds of LR presets. I want to use them more and more in ACR on Smart Objects. I know there is a way to convert a LR preset to ACR one by one but it’s time consuming and cludgy. Is there a bulk converter to your knowledge? Kind regards. Richard

• By Marty Cohen - 2:01 PM on May 1, 2015

Hi Julianne—
    Thanks for all the teaching you do and, even more, for your inspiration. One issue I have had with LR presets in the Develop Module is that you cannot organize them into a muti-level hierarchy with more than just one level. Essentially, what I would like to do is (let’s put it in terms of “folders” in which the presets live) have a “Master” folder called “JKost’s Presets” then, inside of that have a folder “JKost’s Black & White Presets” and another folder “JKost’s Toning Presets”, and another “JKost’s Lens Correction Presets” etc. Then I’d like to do the same and have a Master folder “Lightrrom’s Presets” for the presets included with LR. And so on, including my own presets but then have this level of organization within the Users Presets folder.

It’s basically nested folders, multiple levels deep. Is there a way, if you would also find this useful, you could help nurture this suggestion within the LR people at Adobe?
    Marty