by Julieanne Kost

Comments (39)

Created

June 16, 2015

The new Dehaze control in Lightroom CC and Adobe Camera Raw 9.1 can help you to dramatically improve an image by removing haze. The Dehaze technology is based on a physical model of how light is transmitted, and it tries to estimate light that is lost due to absorption and scattering through the atmosphere. For the best results, you’ll want to set the white balance for the image before using Dehaze. Then, in the Effects panel, move the slider to the right – to easily remove the haze from the original scene. Move the slider to the left to add a creative haze effect.You can choose to make very subtle to very significant adjustments – if you’re pushing the slider to the extreme, you might want to refine the image using the Basic panel (increasing the shadow detail or refining the Vibrance slider) in order to achieve the exact look that you’re after. Check out the video below to see Dehaze in action.

Original image and with the addition of the Dehaze feature (slider set to +68).

Original image and with the addition of the Dehaze feature (slider set to +68).

Original image and with the subtraction of the Dehaze feature (slider set to -72)

When moving the slider, there is very little change in the highlight area (on the right side of the Histogram), while the shadows and lower portion of the histogram is clearly being changed. If you are concerned that the darker values in the image are being clipped to pure black, Option (Mac) | Alt (Win) -drag the slider to see the black point clipping visualization. When you see black areas appear in the image, you know that you’re starting to clip to pure black and can back off. In addition, Dehaze can be added locally by applying ACR as a Smart Filter in Photoshop.
Click here for more information about Camera Raw 9.1 including new camera and profile support.

COMMENTS

• By Carl Licari - 5:48 AM on June 16, 2015

Is this feature included in the standalone version of LR6?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 10:26 AM on June 16, 2015

Dehaze is exclusive to Lightroom CC at this time.

• By JF Dufresne - 11:03 AM on June 16, 2015

Why? Why? Why? A few weeks ago, I paid for a full working piece of software (aka stand-alone version). Now I feel I’m being treated as a second class citizen…. I really think that it’s not a fair business practice…. Really…. #adobefail

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 12:45 PM on June 16, 2015

We’ve never been able to add new features to perpetual products. New features can only be added between full versions (e.g. LR4>LR5>LR6) of perpetual products.

• By Spence Munsinger - 9:52 AM on June 18, 2015

Jeffrey,

“Been able to add new features” is completely disingenuous. The code is supposed to be the same, hell your divergence is maybe 6 months. You have chosen to leave Lightroom 6.1 standalone behind to influence people into the cloud, not because of any limitations – except those you have imposed on yourselves for marketing and income reasons. And frankly I’m not paying Adobe a cent going forward when treated this way.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 12:09 PM on June 19, 2015

Not being disingenuous at all. I think Julieanne will back me up that I’m a very genuine person.

• By Jan Miracky - 6:32 AM on June 18, 2015

I also think it’s not a nice practice. I bought standalone LR 6 because I don’t need Photoshop and I thought I’m getting equal software to CC but only paid differently. I don’t see the obstacle that prevents you from adding this fine feature to standalone version as well.

• By Bill Klemens - 12:23 PM on June 16, 2015

The link to “Click here to see Dehaze in action.” is invalid.

• By Debbie - 5:04 PM on June 16, 2015

Where do I find the dehaze in Camera RAW 9.1?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 6:36 AM on June 17, 2015

It’s the top slider under the Effects tab (the tab with [FX] on it).

• By Debbie - 7:45 AM on June 17, 2015

Thanks.. Found it!

• By Jim - 5:26 AM on June 17, 2015

Just updated this morning.
    The Dehaze slider is greyed out in Lightroom cc.
    I checked and updated to ACR 9.1.
    OS is updated Yosemite.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks
    \

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 6:33 AM on June 17, 2015

Did you update Lightroom to to Lightroom CC 2015.1?

• By Rob Sylvan - 8:42 AM on June 25, 2015

Make sure the photo is using Process Version 2012 or it will be grayed out.

• By Mike Milich - 11:18 AM on June 17, 2015

Landscape photographers rejoice! Just used this on some old hazy waterscapes and it solved problems that would take a lot of time to recover from. Restored detail to water and sky without making it gritty. Easily the most immediately useful feature for me.
    Thank you!

• By Andrew Zuckerman - 2:16 PM on June 17, 2015

I have uploaded the latest version of Lightroom 6 (6.1 RAW 9.1) the non-cc version.. There is no dehaze slider in Effects.

• By James O'Neill - 3:03 PM on June 17, 2015

Just tried this on some underwater photos and the improvement is quite dramatic.

I like this rental model for software. Not only am I getting Photoshop and Lightroom for a about the price of upgrading LR when it comes out, but there’s no messing about with “Shall I buy the update”, it’s just “Upgrade now ?” “Yeah OK”. New feature appears,

• By DANIEL CARNO - 2:26 PM on June 18, 2015

Just returned from a trip to the St. Augustine (Fl.) Gator farm with some splendid exotic bird pics compromised by haze from their netting enclosure. The De-Haze module solved the problem perfectly. What I want to know is: how did you guys know I would need this feature when I got home?

Thanks!

• By James King - 6:50 PM on June 18, 2015

The HELP menu in LR6 (stand alone) allows you to UPDATE the 6.1 upgrade and it says it has been done.

Then when you go to HELP ‘About Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1’ it says “VERSION 6.1”.

THAT IS BLATANTLY UNTRUE!!!!!!!!

I can’t find it in my programs explorer and when I re-open LR there is no change.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 12:04 PM on June 19, 2015

Why do you think it’s untrue? The Help>System Info… should give an accurate update version.

• By Steve Moorey - 8:46 AM on June 19, 2015

I have purchased Lightroom since V1 and have just upgraded to V6. I can’t use the Cloud version because of very poor broadband in my area. So now I can’t use the Dehaze feature !
    Not a happy customer…

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 12:01 PM on June 19, 2015

Hi Steve, you don’t need an ongoing net connection to use Lightroom CC. How did you update Lightroom in the past? FWIW – the update process is much more lightweight with Creative Cloud. In the past, perpetual updates required a complete download and installation of the entire product. Lightroom CC now uses CC patch technology so for example the 6.0.1 update patch was only 1mb and the 6.1 update was only 174mb. Whereas it was 531MB for each of the eight Lightroom 5 updates that were released – 8 x 531mb = 4.2gb!

• By Ryan - 6:58 PM on June 19, 2015

Can I exchange my 6.1 version for CC?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 4:07 PM on June 20, 2015

I’ll send you an email.

• By Christian - 11:32 AM on June 22, 2015

Can you send me an email as well? I bought LR 6 two weeks ago, but would rather have LR CC (if i can get my money back for LR6)

• By John Kraft - 3:40 AM on June 22, 2015

I too, am a bit disappointed the dehaze filter didn’t make it to Lightroom 6. I bought a version of LR in April on the strength that Adobe were going to continue to allow this as a standalone whilst Photoshop 6 would not receive the CC upgrades.

I’m now the owner of LR 6 and PS6 extended, both of which are rapidly becoming naf.

Adobe is forcing me into going onto this subscription nonsense which I do not particularly appreciate.

Very sneaky, disingenuous and arguably illegal behaviour by Adobe.

• By Horst Winkler - 7:48 AM on June 23, 2015

the same to me Jan Miracky,
    there is no information when you order/ download the stand alone version
    that´s not fair

• By Viggo Damm - 4:45 AM on June 25, 2015

Can you send me an email as well? I bought LR 6 two months ago, but would rather have LR CC (if i can get my money back for LR6)

• By ken - 1:10 PM on June 26, 2015

So Disappointing to see that this feature isn’t available in my stand alone Lightroom version 6.1

I fear that this is just another tactic to force us into going the Creative Cloud.

A shame.

• By Paul Lehman - 7:40 PM on June 26, 2015

Put me in the upset customer slot as well. I have no interest in the CC product and the associated costs.

I now understand that the cost of not pursuing CC not only applies to me financially but functionally.

Unfortunately, the forcing of CC will eventually lead me to another software solution.

• By charlie - 5:33 AM on June 27, 2015

Whaouh, I bought LR6 to be “update” as I did for all LR versions. I was not precisely interrested in the new features, but looked to be on top dealing with picture computation. I can see I was wrong. I the mean time I’m sorry for CC users that every new features topics will be polluted by standlone users 🙂

• By Pat Lingo - 12:12 PM on June 27, 2015

I just update my CC products and I do have Camera Raw 9.1 but there is only the grain effect under the Camera Raw Effects folder. What do I do to get it?

• By Sri - 12:44 PM on June 27, 2015

I recently purchased desktop version for full price. I feel that it is not a fair way of handling updates to only cloud but not “perpetual” versions. Delivering features via software update should be same regardless if it is running cloud or desktop. What I am understanding that Adobe is telling is “don’t buy desktop software, buy only cloud. Else, you will be left behind”. Of course, being a big corporation they can use some good words to put together same message differently. I feel let down having purchased full desktop version very recently. Can anyone suggest a decent alternative though I think Lightroom is the best so far I have tried?

• By Sri - 9:58 AM on June 28, 2015

I see some of them were able to exchange CC version. Is there a way I can avail that option?