by Julieanne Kost

Comments (26)

March 21, 2016

I thought it would be fun to challenge you to create and publish your own Adobe Portfolio site. I recently went through the process and found that not only was my portfolio easy to create, it was a great exercise  to go back through my images, organize them into bodies of work, and look at the relationship between how I see, experience, and document the world through my camera. If you decide to take this challenge, on the last day, we can all share our new portfolios in the comments plus, you will all have your portfolio ready to share with the world!

What is Adobe Portfolio? If you are a member of Creative Cloud or the Creative Cloud for Photography Program, Adobe Portfolio is included in your membership. Portfolio is a simple way to create a beautiful, personalized, website with galleries of images, specialty pages (such as About, Contact, Awards etc.), social media links, and more. You can select from one of the beautifully designed layouts, which can be customized to match your personal style or, published as is. All edits that you make in the Portfolio editor are live (you see the changes as you make them), and anything you an see on the page, you can edit. Responsive design means that your layout will automatically adapt for best viewing on different devices, and access to Typkit fonts means pairing the right typographic style to complement your imagery. Add to that security options such as password protection and the option to disable right-click to protect your images, optional lightbox presentation of your images, custom domain name usage, and synchronization with Behance projects, and you have one powerful tool to use to share your work with the world (without knowing a single line of code)!

My portfolio. As an example, below is a screenshot of my current portfolio. Click here to view the published site.

Assignment #1 – Preparing your images. I find that the first day is the most difficult because I’m going to ask you to decide which images you are going to use in your portfolio. If you don’t have a lot of time, you can start with a single body of work that contains 8-10 images and additional images in the days ahead. In a perfect world, I would suggest that you try to publish 6-10 different bodies of work to your portfolio. But I don’t want it to get overwhelming, and I know this step can take a lot of time. Don’t worry, any of the galleries (or groups of images) that you publish to your portfolio can be updated at any time. What’s important is that we make a little progress on the site every day – so don’t worry, start small, only publish your best work, and then add to your portfolio as time allows.

Since I use Lightroom to organize and process my photographs, I started by making a Collection Set called “2016 Adobe Portfolios”. Within that Collection Set, I created  several Collections of images to be included in my portfolio. (If you aren’t using Lightroom, you can use Bridge or the operating system to organize your images.)

Portfolio’s navigation is based on Galleries and Projects. Galleries are the containers for projects (similar to the way that Collections Sets are the containers for Collections in Lightroom). In my Portfolio, I only have one Gallery called  “Photography” and several projects within that Gallery (what i dream, passenger seat, etc.). Even though Galleries and Projects, as well as individual images, can be added to and subtracted from, reordered, and replaced within Portfolio’s editor, I would suggest that you try to be as organized as possible, defining the structure of your portfolio as early in the process as you can.

I find that when publishing a portfolio, “less is more”. Having between 10-15 images is a good starting point for each of your collections of images (or bodies of work). However, you can see that I have included more than that in most of mine (some of my portfolios include dyptics as well). Remember, you’re portfolio is only as strong as your weakest image.

Once I selected my images, I exported them with these settings:

Quick tips. Before we get started, here are a few quick tips to help build a portfolio that gets noticed:

• Keep the design simple and let your work take center stage
  • Make it easy to navigate
  • Only have a few options (pages)
  • Only show your best work
  • Showcase the work that you want to do in the future
  • The thumbnail should reflect the images in the project
  • Keep your portfolio updated with current work – it’s a living document

Tomorrow we will start by selecting the Layout that we want to start with as well as start branding our portfolio using a logo or text.

• By Annettd - 6:10 AM on March 21, 2016

Thanks, I need to work on this!

• By Adrian - 7:52 AM on March 21, 2016

This project is so timely for me, I have been shooting for years but have very limited skills when it comes to organizing a proper portfolio, and yet I am paying for another site. So I am looking forward to setting this up and thanks for the quick tips it’s a great starting point for me.

• By Scott Graham - 7:57 AM on March 21, 2016

You say that Pf is part of the cloud membership, but I do not see it.

• By Julieanne Kost - 1:59 PM on March 21, 2016

Use this URL and sign in with your Adobe ID to access the Portfolio editor, I’ll give more directions tomorrow.

• By Stephen Scott - 8:12 AM on March 21, 2016

The Camera Club of Bozeman just completed a Saturday Lightroom training/workshop, so we’re going to try. Thanks Julieanne.

• By Andrew Kohn - 9:52 AM on March 21, 2016

I really want to do this
    How will I receive the post each day

• By Julieanne Kost - 1:57 PM on March 21, 2016

I will keep posting to this blog, so you can check back to find out what we’re doing each day!

• By Silvina - 10:04 AM on March 21, 2016

I love the idea! I accept the challenge and will vive it a try…

• By Silvina - 10:05 AM on March 21, 2016

*give not vive lol

• By jim comer - 11:19 AM on March 21, 2016

First step done. Waiting for more homework.

Question: Do the images in the portfolio bite into my 2 Gb Cloud storage?

Julienne, always great to learn from you. Thanks.

• By Julieanne Kost - 1:56 PM on March 21, 2016

No, when you publish to Adobe Portfolio, those files will not take up CC storage.

• By Johnny - 11:35 AM on March 21, 2016

• By Lynette Batton - 1:37 PM on March 21, 2016

Been meaning to do this for so long. Thank you for the push.

• By Tom Kimmerer - 2:13 PM on March 21, 2016

I’m so glad you are doing this challenge. It is a lot easier to do it in bite-size pieces. I’ve got my images ready to go, and am resisting the temptation to go over to and figure it out.

• By Andew - 3:30 PM on March 21, 2016

Thanks Julieanne! I’ve needed to get motivated for far too long!

• By Stephan Brzozowski - 12:03 AM on March 22, 2016

Well, I decided a couple of weeks ago I was going to do this using my existing domain I went ahead and published last night and, less than 12 hours ago, the new site for my domain seems to have propagated ok – the transition was supposed to take up to 72 hours. Pages loading fast on slow Cumbrian broadband speeds too, so I’m well pleased! Now to do a few more tweaks and add a couple more pages! I think this makes the Adobe Creative Cloud Photographer’s package even better value – you get access to Typekit fonts too – well done and thank you Adobe!

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:15 AM on March 22, 2016

Well done Stephen! Your images make me want to travel to the Blaenau Ffestiniog area to see the slate mines. : )

• By Paula Blacher - 7:58 AM on March 22, 2016

Julianne — why don’t you watermark your images? Thanks for the daily tutorial — my site is up and running, but it did take me a few days to understand the development.

• By Kevin w Beer - 9:05 AM on March 22, 2016

TY, for the kick.

• By Matt O'Brien - 6:25 AM on March 23, 2016

I would like to participate (and also explore Adobe Portfolio).

One of my big gripes with Adobe is that Adobe provide very little evidence that they really understand or appreciate real world workflow. Any of my images destined for Print or Web I have already populated the Title and / or Caption.

I refuse to use any vendor’s product which force me to retype info I already have Quality Controlled and entered already. This constraint exists on most Adobe products.

I explored the potential for Portfolio on its launch, but abandoned it for this reason.

Am I missing something.

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:34 AM on March 23, 2016

I believe you are correct. I also have typed in captions for my Lightroom images and I don’t see them auto populating in Behance. I will ask a product manager if this is correct or if I’m missing something as well…

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:52 AM on March 25, 2016

There isn’t a way to auto import metadata – but it’s on their radar…

• By Matt O'Brien - 7:16 AM on March 26, 2016

Good news …. will improve my perspective of Adobe and has potential to be a major time saver.

• By Matt O''Brien - 6:20 AM on March 24, 2016

I believe this is a VIP feature, both in terms of usability, efficiency, elimination of typo errors, etc.

• By Connie DeMillo - 6:58 PM on March 28, 2016

Thanks, I’ve been working on retuning my portfolio, just one question. Are there student websites available? I’d like my students to organize and publish their work. I have a cc subscription.

Also love your photoshop classes on, my students get refine edge by retouching the golden retriever.

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:35 PM on March 28, 2016

If you students have their own subscription to either the Creative Cloud Photography plan or to Creative Cloud (complete) then the Portfolio site is included in their subscription.