by Julieanne Kost

Comments (12)

Created

March 6, 2017

I’m excited to announce that Lightroom mobile now includes the ability to capture raw, high dynamic range (HDR) images! In the Lightroom mobile app, tap the camera icon and then choose HDR from the drop down at the bottom of the screen.

Lightroom mobile automatically analyzes the scene to determine the appropriate spread of exposure values over three shots (most other apps only average two exposures). Then, Lightroom automatically aligns, de-ghosts, and tone maps the image, creating a 16-bit floating point DNG file which can then be edited as desired. The resulting DNG file offers a much larger dynamic range than a singe raw file while maintaining all other advantages of a raw file such as higher bit-depth per color, lack of JPEG compression, and the ability to address white balance after capture with no loss of information! Although, HDR files are larger, I believe the superior image quality and greater editing flexibility are well worth the increase in file size.  Plus, while in HDR capture mode, you also have access to exposure compensation, white balance, and the manual focus slider.

Note: for iOS users, the HDR mode requires a device that can capture in DNG such as an iPhone 6, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, iPhone SE, or iPad Pro 9.7″. For Android users, the Samsung S7, S7 Edge, Google Pixel, and Pixel XL are supported.

In addition, Speed Review is back! In Review mode, tap -drag up/down on the left side of the screen to add star ratings. Tap -drag up/down on the right side of the screen to add pick/reject flags.

Export Original enables you to export DNG files captured in Lightroom mobile (as well as raw files imported from your camera to Lightroom mobile or Lightroom web) to the camera roll. Tap the Share icon and choose Export Original.

Note: if you’re images originated in, and were synchronized from Lightroom CC on the desktop, you can not export the original raw file from Lightroom mobile because Lightroom CC on the desktop does not upload the full resolution raw file to the cloud (instead it uses a Smart Preview).

And, for Android Creative Cloud members, both the Radial and Linear selective adjustments are now available!

In addition, the team has improved sync speed and stability and added background sync and upload features.

For more information about Lightroom mobile  click here to see how  to use the Force Touch and Notification Center widget on iOS or, click here to see my Lightroom mobile Getting Started Series.

COMMENTS

• By Linda Quinn - 9:55 AM on March 6, 2017

Any idea when Lightroom Mobile interface on the iPad will be updated to match the interface on the iPhone?

• By Ian Jukes - 8:36 PM on March 6, 2017

Updates are good but I feel you are going in the wrong direction with them. I want to be able to edit metadata and keywords. It would also be good to be able to import directly from the iPad sd card reader.

I never, ever add photos from either the iPad or iPhone cameras. I suspect many other users are the same. I use Lightroom Mobile as a way to organise, rate and perform basic edits in the field. I also use it to back up my images.

Please do a pole to see what end users want before adding features that will never get used, whilst omitting features that we are waiting for

• By Harald Puchtler - 9:22 PM on March 6, 2017

Is there a chance to get RAW from actually not supported Android devices?

• By Thomas Jackson - 9:58 PM on March 6, 2017

When you select Export Original where does the file end up? Is the original file exported full resolution? Does this work with the original IPad Pro or only with the iPhones and iPads listed working with the HDR function?

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:03 PM on March 6, 2017

On iOS, the file is exported to your camera roll.

• By Per Vindis - 6:16 AM on March 7, 2017

HDR is not working on a iPhone 6!

• By Chris Giordano - 10:48 AM on March 8, 2017

I’m having the same problem.

• By Chris Giordano - 10:52 AM on March 8, 2017

Bummer. It looks like it’s not supported on the iPhone 6. This is right from the Adobe site:

“How can I tell if my iOS or Android mobile device supports the High Dynamic Range (HDR) capturing mode?

Make sure that you are running the latest Lightroom for mobile app version on your device.

(iOS)

Beginning with version 2.7, Lightroom for mobile (iOS) supports HDR capture mode on any iPhone or iPad device that has at least a 12-megapixel camera, running at iOS 10.0 or newer.”

Looking at the specs on the Apple site for the iPhone 6 it looks like it only has an 8-megapixel camera on the back (found under the section “iSight Camera”:

• By Bill Wiley - 9:05 AM on March 8, 2017

I have an android J7 Samsung phone and have version 6.0.1 and the only LR version I can download for it is 2.3,and I can’t get the use that HDR you talk about in your blog. When I click on the camera icon at the bottom of the screen, there is not option to select HDR. Is there something I am doing wrong or is the J7 is not supported for this functionality, and if so, will it become available in the near future?

• By Ryan - 10:11 PM on March 8, 2017

How can I view the histogram while I’m taking a photo? Not just afterwards when editing.

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:09 AM on March 14, 2017

You can’t view the histogram while taking a photograph.

• By Doug Hawthorne - 12:16 PM on March 11, 2017