by Julieanne Kost

Comments (23)

Created

October 18, 2017

I’m excited to announce a brand new addition to the Lightroom CC family of products as well as several updates and new features to Lightroom on mobile and web!

The All-New Lightroom CC

The all-new Lightroom CC is designed to complete a cloud-based ecosystem of apps that are deeply integrated and work together seamlessly across desktop, mobile, and web.

As a result, the the desktop-centric product you’ve known as Lightroom will be rebranded “Lightroom Classic CC”.

Watch this video to find out more about the all-new Lightroom CC.

In addition, this video, discusses which of the Lightroom applications, Lightroom CC —the cloud-centric photo service, or Lightroom Classic —the desktop-centric app is best for your workflow.
For more information, be sure to watch this series on Lightroom CC by Josh Haftel.
Lightroom Classic CC

There have been several updates to Lightroom Classic including significant performance improvements in a number of areas including:

• Application launch time
  • Preview generation
  • Switching between Library and Develop Module
  • Moving from photo to photo in the Develop Module
  • Painting using the Adjustment Brush

Check out this video to discover how to preview images faster than ever before using Lightroom Classic’s new Embedded Preview workflow.

Note: setting the Auto Import’s Initial Previews to Embedded & Sidecar will also take advantage of the new Embedded Preview workflow.

This video demonstrated the power of the new Color and Luminance Range Masking features to quickly make precision adjustments using the Adjustment Brush, Radial, and Graduated Filters.
Note: Lightroom Classic will need to update catalog from previous versions of the application . This help document (Upgrade a catalog from an earlier version of Lightroom Classic CC) provides additional information about catalogs.

Lightroom CC on Mobile Devices

Several new features and product enhancements have been made to Lightroom on mobile devices. On both iOS and Android, you can now search through your synced photos using Adobe Sensei to find images based on image content —without having to tag or keyword them.

Or, add add your own custom keywords, using the new Keywords menu.

To  keep track of your photographs, create albums and organize them in folders.

On iOS:

Lightroom for mobile has been optimized for iOS 11, enabling access to any photos that are available within the Files app.
On iPads running iOS 11, you can now drag and drop photos (including raw photos), from any other app, directly into Lightroom for mobile, to import.

On Android:

Lightroom for mobile has been optimized for the latest version of Android OS, Android O.
In addition, Lightroom for mobile has been optimized for Chromebooks, with a new interface that provides an optimal editing experience for devices with keyboards, as well as trackpads and touch interfaces.
And finally, use the Selective Brush to enhance your photos.

Lightroom on Web

You can now create a single gallery that hosts multiple albums to share with friends, family, and clients. The galleries are “live” representations of your images so if you edit your photographs, the galleries automatically update.

In addition, check out the new Tech preview – Best Photos which leverages a number of Adobe Sensei technologies to help automatically identify and group similar photos, and then select the best photos of each of the groups.

For more information, check out the article written by Tom Hogarty on the Photoshop Blog.

Please post any feedback here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/

COMMENTS

• By Søren Langkilde Madsen - 7:14 AM on October 18, 2017

The very important question:

In the Lr Classic – will there still be the option of sharing collection to 1) mobile devices and 2) Lr web.

And what happens to all the currently shared collection when i Update Lr to Lr Classic – will the same URLs still be valid.

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:31 AM on October 18, 2017

Yes, you can share collections with Lightroom Classic to both mobile devices and to Lightroom web.
      When you update to Lightroom Classic your shared collections won’t change – they behave the same as they do today.

• By Søren Langkilde Madsen - 7:40 AM on October 18, 2017

Where do i install Lr CC?

The Lr Classic is ready for install in the CC panel, but not the Lr CC?

• By Søren Langkilde Madsen - 7:41 AM on October 18, 2017

Will the Lr mobile apps (IOS) still be available and can i sync collections to these apps?
    Must the Lr mobile apps (IOS) be updated at the same time as the Lr Classic desktop app?

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:43 AM on October 18, 2017

Hi Soren, The Lightroom mobile apps will still be available and yes, you will still be able to sync your collections from Lightroom Classic.
      I expect the Lightroom mobile apps to be updated soon, but can’t comment on specific release dates.

• By Michael Bennati Schou - 7:53 AM on October 18, 2017

Just installed the new LR Classic. So now my VSCO Keys (keyboard shortcuts) won’t launch. Do you know how this can be fixed?
    Thanks.

• By Søren Langkilde Madsen - 9:13 AM on October 18, 2017

Julianne, Thanks for your answers – i will give it a go with the Lr Classic update.

• By Jeff Beer - 9:39 AM on October 18, 2017

Hi Julianne,

These are great explanations of the new product and how it relates to the current version. Thank you.

Will we be able to run both concurrently on the desktop? I’d like to use Classic for studio, event and product photography, and use the new CC for travel. If you mentioned this in the video, I apologize 🙂

Lastly, with the new CC version, can we limit the amount of bandwidth used for syncing? I have very limited bandwidth (1 mb upload) and would like to let the system “trickle” the files to the cloud.

Thanks very much,

Jeff

• By Michel Guillaume - 10:00 AM on October 18, 2017

Julieanne, thanks for the nice introduction, I have 2 questions:

1) You mention that “full resolution” pictures can be uploaded, I presume you also include RAW files?

2) I still don’t figure out how Lr CC and Lr Classic CC will work together? Can you imagine to keep for instance older pictures on the cloud only, while more recent ones could be on the cloud and on the local drive (I understand that the most complete tool set will be on the local drive, which can be convenient to rework the most recent pictures)

I see one big advantage: too big local drives are no longer necessary, at least if the Adobe cloud space is not too expensive!

• By Tim - 10:20 AM on October 18, 2017

Does Adobe plan to phase out Lightroom Classic at some point in favor of the new Lightroom CC web-based application? This is a huge concern for those of us who have invested many years (and thousands of hours and dollars) in building, editing, keywording, and organizing raw files that are the foundation of our business. The actual financial and opportunity costs of migrating all of that to the web if Lightroom Classic were to disappear would realistically put me out of business as a photographer.

• By jlua - 1:56 AM on October 19, 2017

So, are there now two types of LrMobile apps?: 1) The “new” LrMobile, AND “) a “classic” Lr Mobile? Or is there just one? Confusing…

• By Stepan - 7:25 AM on October 19, 2017

It is confusing, as Classic LR is also cloud based (it has collections shared to the cloud).
      Yesterday having quick look at the app it seems more like
      1. Lightroom CC = Lightroom “Light”
      2. Lightroom Classic CC = Lightroom “full”

• By ProDesignTools - 2:50 PM on October 19, 2017

No, there are now two *desktop* apps, not mobile apps…

There is only one single Lr Mobile app, and it works as before, usable in workflows with both Lightroom Classic and the new Lightroom CC.

Lr “Classic” is the original desktop Lightroom that people have known for the past ten years, and will continue to be developed and improve into the future.

• By Greg - 8:12 AM on October 19, 2017

I really like the idea around this update. Unfortunately, without the ability to upgrade just storage (I have the full Creative Suite plan which only includes 100GB of storage), the platform is practically useless. I can easily fill 128-256 GB cards or more on one shoot. I confirmed with Adobe support today that presently I can not upgrade my storage. It seems I would have to lose my access to other nonphoto programs and switch to the photo plan which just doesn’t make sense. I hope Adobe addresses this quickly by allowing (for a fee of course) significant upgrades of storage for their cloud product. Hopefully, many terabytes will be an option (I run what is now called Lightroom Classic with a 20 TB Drobo).

• By Steve Evans - 10:59 AM on October 19, 2017

Is it possible in LR CC to see easily which files are originals and which are smart previews from LR Classic? I see you have a file type shown in the grid view, how do you switch this on? Thanks 🙂

• By Clive Moss - 2:09 PM on October 19, 2017

So, if I have Lightroom Classic on my desktop and Lightroom CC (the Cloud Version) on my Laptop, I can import my photos while I am away from home into Lightroom CC. When I get home and wait a tad for everything to synced properly I can then find the images I imported while I was away in the Lightroom Mobile Pictures folder and move them to my final destination. Can you see a problem with this setup? It seems to work.

In the old Lightroom CC 2015 version, one could not have two different catalogs on different computers on the same CC account. With the new Lightroom Classic can one have two different computers running on the same CC account? I don’t want to try it because it creates havoc when it does not work.

• By Carlos A. Oliveras - 5:56 AM on October 20, 2017

Hey Julieanne, I truly wish you could reply to this question for me because I’m really having a tough time finding out the answer, even after asking around to some people.

I quit using LR Mobile on Android a while ago, since I was tired of seeing it was always behind the iOS version, so I could not follow tutorials or share the same workflow between android/iOS devices.

Yesterday I updated LR Mobile for Android… and now it looks like the current iOS version, or so it seems to me. My only Android device is a Samsung Galaxy S5, by the way.

Is it really like so? Are LR Mobile apps finally on par between Android and iOS? If so, when did it happen? Otherwise, what are the differences, if they are not the same?

Thank you so much if you can clarify this for me, or refer me to some resource where I can get this info.

• By Trudy Matthews - 2:09 AM on October 21, 2017

Downloaded the new Classic Lightroom and it crashes each time I try to use it. Several attempts including uninstalling and then restarting pc, same thing happened each time. No good at all. Now back using the previous version. I’m using Windows 10.
    Any ideas, please?

• By John Middleton - 7:39 AM on October 30, 2017

The photographers plan has served me well. I like the idea of ongoing updates, always having the most current features, and gladly pay the monthly fee. But I don’t want to use any cloud service. Shocking as it seems to urbanites, internet access is slow, bandwidth use limited, and service pensive in rural areas. So uploading every NEF file to cloud storage is not an option.

It appears under my plan I can use only LR CC Classic (for now, anyway) and still have access to PS – basically the same as I have been doing. If that’s true all us well until Adobe decides to drop the Classic CC version (which is inevitable despite the cries of marketing claims).

So while Adobe permits I’ll export all my processed NEFs as Tif files so that many hundreds of hours processing work isn’t lost when I no longer have LR. Henceforth, any file I export as a jpeg will also export as tiff. The non-destructive aspect of LR editing will be lost once Adobe decides fixed income rural retirees aren’t worth keeping. That is sad.

A few dozen folks have subscribed to the photographer’s plan based in part on my recommendation (in workshops I’ve conducted, online, and informally). And I fully expect to see a day when subscribers learn access to their images will require a fee some will find unaffordable, in effect holding years of work at ransom. Therefore I can no longer do that in good faith. That too is sad.

Today I’ll begin shopping for an alternative for the day a year or two hence when I can no longer do the work I’ve so enjoyed doing with Adobe’s products. This literally makes me cry!

• By Dan Donovan - 11:45 PM on October 31, 2017

Hi Julianne – Can you create just one Gallery in LRCC or multiple Galleries? Thanks!

• By Dan Donovan - 11:51 PM on October 31, 2017

Sorry, I meant can you create multiple Galleries in Lightroom Web or just one Gallery. At this point, I don’t believe you can create Galleries in the LRCC desktop app.