Positioning the cursor over the text or icon next to a numeric entree field in the Options bar (and in most panels and dialog boxes) displays the “Scrubby Sliders” icon (a hand with small arrows pointing to the left and right). When the Scrubby Slider icon is visible, clicking and dragging decreases/increases the value as you drag left/right. Adding the Option (Mac) / Alt (Win) + dragging decreases the values more slowly while adding the Shift key increases the values more quickly.
Posts in Category "Adobe Photoshop"
To make a document the same size as another open document, while in the Image Size or Canvas Size dialog box, select the other open document from the bottom of the Window menu (PS will automatically fill in the values).
If you ever need to open a flattened (composite) version of a layered document, choose File > Open and navigate to the image. Then, hold Option + Shift (Mac) / Alt + Shift (Win) and click Open. A dialog appears with the message “Read the composite data instead?” Click OK to confirm.
You can use the same keyboard modifiers and double click a PSD file in the Operating System to open a flattened version of the file
Note: this shortcut only works if the file was saved with the Maximize (PSD and PSB) File Compatibility preference turned on.
Keyboard Shortcuts can now be assigned to quickly toggle airbrush and pressure sensitivity controls for qualifying painting tools (such as the Brush, Clone Stamp, History etc.).
To assign your custom keyboard shortcut, select Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and Shortcuts For: Tools.
- Use Toggle Brush Airbrush Mode to assign a keyboard shortcut to toggle the Airbrush attribute.
- Use Toggle Brush Pressure Controls Opacity to assign a keyboard shortcut to toggle the Brush Pressure controls (when off, the brush pressure is controlled by the Brush preset).
- Use Toggle Brush Pressure Controls Size to assign a keyboard shortcut to toggle the Brush Size controls (when off, the brush size is controlled by the preset).
To quickly view the number of layers in a document, click the chevron to the right of the status box (at the bottom of the image preview area) and choose Layer Count.
Or, use the flyout menu on the Info panel to enable Layer Count. In addition, the Info panel has the option to Always Show Composite Values.
I have updated and refined several of my videos in the Photoshop CC Essential training course on Lynda.com to include the recently announced new features and product enhancements. Even if you’re not a Lynda.com member, you can watch a number of the videos for free! Navigate to this page (Photoshop CC (2015) Essential Training with Julieanne Kost), click on the Table of contents tab and click the play icon to watch any of the unlocked Photoshop videos including:
• Customizing the keyboard shortcuts
• How large can I print my image?
• Making the canvas bigger using the Canvas Size command
• Using the Perspective Crop Tool
• Using Vanishing Point to paste in perspective
• Blending two images together using Layer Masks
• Selecting soft edge objects using Refine Edge
• Using blend modes to emulate an image transfer effect
• Straightening images using the Adaptive Wide Angle filter
• Creating a soft, diffuse glow with grain
• Adding flames to a photograph
• Clipping an image inside type
• Adding a keyline around an image
• Creating a time-lapse video
Or, navigate to the Camera Raw Essential Training page to watch any of the unlocked videos for that course:
• Bridge and Camera Raw or Lightroom: Which should you use?
• Correcting a tilted horizon
• Bringing it all together to make an image shine
• Customizing color using HSL
• Recreating traditional color toning effects
• Merging multiple images to create a panorama
To watch the full course (and thousands of other videos on a variety of different topics), sign up for a paid membership. What a great way to celebrate the 4th of July! : )
You can check out all of my Lynda.com courses here including:
• Bridge CC Essential Training
• Introduction to Compositing
• The Art of Photoshop Compositing
And did you know that you can watch these videos off-line by using the Lynda.com desktop or mobile app?
In addition, all of the Lightroom and Photoshop videos that I create for Adobe are free and can be accessed using the two links below.
The default configuration of panels in the Essentials workspace displays differently depending on your monitor resolution. On higher resolution monitors, the Libraries panel appears in its own separate column:
On lower resolution monitors, the Libraries panel will be nested with the Adjustments and Styles panel:
This slight difference might not seem like a big deal for most people, but I wanted to point out that in a teaching environment, your students might not all be looking at the same default interface.
I prefer to rearrange my panels and save them as a custom workspace. I have more information about creating custom workspaces in this blog post (Custom Panels and Workspaces in Photoshop) as well as in my Photoshop CC Essential Training on Lynda.com.
When adding spot colors to a document, you can now sample a color from the Swatches panel while in the Spot channel dialog.
And, the name (or color value depending on what swatches you have loaded), will shown in the tooltip for recently used colors in the Swatches palette.
Microsoft Windows 10 users can now print directly to Microsoft’s 3MF (a new open-sourced 3D printing format ) in order to share full-fidelity 3D models with other applications, printers, services, and more. This new 3D printing feature in Photoshop CC simplifies the process of printing your 3D creations to any number of 3MF supported printers or services.
Photoshop CC 2015 introduced a new real-time healing brush algorithm. However, if you prefer the behavior of the older healing brush algorithm you can now use Preferences > Tools > Use Legacy Healing Algorithm for the Healing Brush to return to the previous behavior.
Jeff Tranberry has assembled an excellent FAQ around updating/upgrading to the 2015.5 release of Photoshop CC including instructions about plug-ins and installation. Photoshop CC 2015.5 is a full version upgrade – you will need to install your third-party plug-ins for them to work with CC 2015.5. Click here for more detailed instructions.
Discover new features and enhancements made to Artboards including new background color properties and easier duplication of layers and layer groups, Adjustment layer support for Looks and Fill layer support for Patterns created in Capture CC, read-only Library Collaboration, and new export options for embedding color profiles and additional Artboard improvements.
Note: because of the new background color support, Artboard backgrounds export as visualized on the canvas (i.e. if you see a background, you will get that when you export – you must set transparency to export as transparent).
The visual representation of “transparency” as a checkerboard works the same in Artboard documents as it does in regular canvases. Therefore, if you have changed your Preferences > Transparency & Gamut to None, then you will not see the checkerboard representing transparency in an Artboard.
When using the Crop tool to straighten a photo, use the new Content Aware option to intelligently fill in transparent areas with computer generated “Content aware” information in Photoshop CC. The video below demonstrates how.
Note: the Content Aware technology has been improved throughout Photoshop including improvement in details, reduction in blur/smudge, improved color adaptation (now on by default), and performance increases of up to 3x faster than before!
Discover how the new Select and Mask taskspace in Photoshop CC makes creating selections and masks easier, more exact, and more efficient than ever before.
Below is additional information for working in the Select and Mask taskspace.
Tool and Properties Shortcuts
• For the Quick Select (W), Lasso (L), and Brush (B) tools, Option (Mac) | Alt (Win) toggles Add To Selection to Subtract From Selection.
• For the Quick Select (W), Lasso (L), and Brush (B) tools, Shift toggles Subtract from Selection to Add to Selection.
• With the Lasso Tool selected, Option + Shift (Mac) | Alt + Shift (Win) toggles both Add To and Subtract From options to Intersect with Selection.
• For the Refine Edge Brush (R), Option (Mac) | Alt (Win) toggles Expands Detection Area to Restore Original Selection.
•In Select and Mask, painting with the Brush tool adds to or subtracts from the mask (it will not paint on the image).
• Control + Option -drag (Mac) | Alt + right click -drag (Win) left/right to decrease/increase brush diameter.
Control + Option -drag (Mac) | Alt + right click -drag (Win) up/down to increase/decrease the hardness/softness of the brush.
• Shift-click to paint a straight line between the first and subsequent clicks.
• All of the View modes have their own shortcut (listed next to the name of the view). Plus, “F” cycles through the views while “X” temporarily toggles off all views.
• If you create a selection in Photoshop, choose Select and Mask and then modify the selection, clicking “Clear Selection” removes all masking while clicking the Reset Workspace icon (to the left of the Cancel button) resets the selection to the state when Select and Mask option was chosen.
• The first time you double-click on a Layer Mask in the Layers panel, Photoshop displays a dialog asking what you would like double clicking on a Layer Mask to do. You can choose between View Properties (in the Properties panel) or Enter Select and Mask. This behavior can be changed later in Preferences >Tools > Double Click Layer Mask Launches Mask and Select Workspace.
• Select and Mask supports Birds Eye View for faster navigation within an image. When zoomed into an image, press and hold “H” (the image zooms out to fit in the window). Drag the zoom rectangle over the desired location and release the mouse. Release the “H” key – the image zooms to the chosen area and the selected tool remains unchanged. (Note: Birds Eye View requires GPU support.)
Additional advantages of the Select and Mask Taskspace:
• Select and Mask should be faster than the previous Refine Edge option because Select and Mask takes advantage of GPU.
• You no longer have to jump in and out of a modal state to refine the initial selection (using the Lasso, Quick Select, or Brush tools).
• You don’t have to start with a selection, you can choose Select and Mask first and begin the selection process there.
• After choosing Select > Focus Mask, you can choose to go directly to Select and Mask.
• Select and Mask supports multiple undo, is actionable, and works with touch interface.
Watch as Julieanne Kost demonstrates the new features and enhancements made to the Type tools in Photoshop CC including the ability to find similar fonts in the Adobe Typekit Library, apply on-canvas alternate glyphs, and use Font Match to identify similar typefaces in photos.
Note: you don’t have to create the type layer first like I did when using Match Font, I just wanted to quickly see the results on a type layer.