August 6, 2009
Both the Quick Selection and Magic Wand tools make selections based on the color sampled. When using the Quick Selection tool, checking Auto-Enhance can help reduce rough edges of the selection in transitional areas. For more control after making a selection, (when using either Quick Selection or the Magic Wand tool), select Refine Edge from the Options bar and use the dialog box to further fine tune your selection.
Both tools will also sample similar colors on multiple layers – simply check the “Sample All Layers” feature in the Options bar.
March 30, 2009
The Marquee, Lasso, Magic Wand and Quick Selection tools all share some common shortcuts that can help you when making more complex selections (Instead of using the icons in the Options bar):
• Holding the Shift key and dragging with the tool will add to an existing selection.
• Holding the Option (Mac) / Alt (Win) and dragging with the tool will subtract from the original selection.
• Holding the Option (Mac) / Alt (Win) + Shift and dragging with the tool will produce the intersection of selections.
• After creating a selection, you can move a it by 1 pixel with the arrow keys. Add the Shift key to move in increments of 10 pixels.
• Holding the Shift key after beginning to move a selection or layer will constrain the movement to multiples of 45° (0°, 45°, 90° etc.).