October 12, 2005

Burrowing through large sets of images

The Mini USA site features a clever, immersive Roof Studio that enables you to browse various roof designs and upload your own [link via Kaliber10000]. The zooming interface and ability to see items with matching metadata remind me of Airtight Interactive’s related tag browser for Flickr. Working on Adobe Bridge, I find these interfaces motivating. As image collections grow larger, we need to find more powerful ways to cruise through them (ways to form queries & visualize the results). As always, we’d like to hear your thoughts.

Posted by John Nack at 10:07 AM on October 12, 2005

Comments

• Joe Lencioni — 2:38 PM on October 12, 2005

I think that tagging images in Adobe Bridge is a wonderful idea. Sure, it already has keywords, but I have always found them to be slightly clunky. It would be great to see an improvement in the keywords or tags and add better searching features similar to the search functionality in Thunderbird.

• John Nack — 3:03 PM on October 12, 2005

Joe, are you thinking of tagging features like the ones in Photoshop Elements Organizer (the evolution of Photoshop Album)? Or are there other apps that do a good job with tagging?
    I haven’t tried searching in Thunderbird, but I’ll take a look.

• Joe Lencioni — 6:03 AM on October 13, 2005

John, unfortunately I have never used Photoshop Elements Organizer, so I’m not sure what those tagging features are like. In fact, I’m not really sure that I’ve ever used an application that does tagging at all. But, it would be great to have one area where you can type your tags (and it tries to autofill based on previous tags and what you begin to type), and a section below that that shows you all of your previous tags that you can click on to add to the list. In collaborative environments, like with the Version Cue, it might be useful to have global tags and personal tags because people organize their information differently. Then a third section might be useful: suggested tags based on what other users have tagged.
    And for searching, the Winamp media library has a fairly decent basic search function. I find it is nice when search happens as I type instead of when I click a search button.

• matthew muller — 11:18 AM on October 13, 2005

very cool, kind of like the social browsing stuff debuting, http://www.flock.com/home/, (screenshots http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/49865252/in/set-1082355/)and also if you havent seen http://www.leoburnett.ca/, this is also pretty cool navigation. Hmm a flash interface as a relational browser in Bridge, something like “visual search”, like a tool to take your idea and run with it.
    MaTT

• William Miskovetz — 4:01 PM on November 16, 2005

The Elements Organizer tagging is nice, and I’ve just started looking at Adobe Bridge and the keywords functionality seems similiar. What would be really nice is if Bridge and Elements Organizer used the same file format for the catlog so you only had to tag the images once. Having done it once for Elements, the thought of doing it again in Bridge is daunting…

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)