October 26, 2006

Introducing Adobe Soundbooth, now on Labs

Sneak-previewed on Tuesday at the Adobe MAX show, the new audio-editing application Adobe Soundbooth is available in beta form on the Labs Web site.  "Built in the spirit of Sound Edit 16" (my trusty, lightweight sidekick for many years), Soundbooth is geared towards:

• Editing audio quickly
  • Cleaning up noisy audio
  • Visually identifying and removing unwanted sounds
  • Recording and polishing voiceovers
  • Adding effects and filters
  • Easily creating customized music—without musical expertise

It’s a professional application, but it’s simpler and more streamlined than Audition, Adobe’s tool for audio professionals. In other words, it’s the kind of thing a Flash developer can grab and start using immediately.  Soundbooth PM Hart Shafer has posted his intro, and there’s also a press release.

By the way, note that in addition to supporting Windows, it runs on the Mac.  Intel-natively.  (And so does Flex Builder, for that matter.) In fact, given that it’s brand new, the app is Mactel-only.  I’m a little disappointed that I can’t run it on my PowerBook, but I understand why the team has decided to focus entirely on the future.

Posted by John Nack at 6:48 AM on October 26, 2006

Comments

• Rob — 8:19 AM on October 26, 2006

Interesting. I had recently purchased Sony’s Cinescore, and had wondered what an Adobe solution would be like. With the beta I see things better than Cinescore, and things that need improvement (that I’m sure will come).
    [It would be great if you could share you thoughts with the team via the Soundbooth beta forum on Labs. –Thanks, J.]

• milo — 1:28 AM on October 27, 2006

Interesting, what is the clue now to use the Adobe solution? Is it better than the Cinescore ( got it in the last days )? Probably the adding of effects and filters is, cause as far as i’m in Cinescore now, it looks pedantically to access the menu.

• James Taylor — 10:29 AM on October 28, 2006

I’m a little disappointed Adobe is removing Audition form the Video Suite. Audition is billed as a “Professional Audio Application”. Is the Adobe Video Suite not a professional set of tools? I can see including this new program in the standard version, but not the professional version. It kind of feels like Adobe is dumbing down the software and still expecting us to pay the same (or possible higher) prices. Has Adobe given up on the professional market in order to cater to the elements crowd?
    James

• alchaemia — 11:11 PM on October 30, 2006

Any specific reason why there’s no Linux version?

• Uri — 5:39 PM on October 31, 2006

Adobe seems to get on a dangerous (and unacceptable for prosumers and professionals) path of dumbing down its video software offer.
    I for one will avoid Production Studio (premium) if it comes with the “sound for dummies” Soundbooth instead of powerful professional Audition.
    Oh and I’m not impressed with (and certainly am not going to buy) Cinescore. If that’s the level where Adobe wants to compete – it should stick to Elements packages (Premiere Elements, Photoshop Elements) and charge a lot less.
    I’ve registered eight Adobe products so far, and if Adobe doesn’t start making sense – they’d be the last I’ve bought from Adobe.

• Uschi — 12:21 AM on May 07, 2007

@alchaemia: cause the linux version is coming later ;) or perhaps never :-(

• WD-NYC designer — 7:08 PM on June 27, 2007

I like Soundbooth, special with that filter option very useful.

• Sohbet odalarý — 10:04 AM on July 08, 2007

So will a Linux version be released?
    Sohbet odalarý canlý
    [I’m afraid not. –J.]

• hallowreen — 5:31 AM on August 04, 2007

it sounds very good,and i will find the difference with other audio editing software…thank you..

• Paintball — 2:01 AM on October 10, 2007

Sounds very good. Waiting for a Linux version…

• Sohbet — 11:03 AM on May 20, 2008

sound effects very good, but, when linux version will be avaible?

• David Sanders — 8:00 AM on May 27, 2008

As a long time user of CEP/Audition I think Soundbooth is great for those NLE users who just need to so more semi-advanced level tinkering/editing. I have a question though, does the fact that Soundbooth, which appears to be a cut-down Audition, has been ported to Mac give the possibility that a full version of Audition could be released for OSX at some future point? I know many Mac users (and Linux users for that matter) are desperate for an audio editor of CEP/Auditions quality without having to resort to WINE (which I do at the moment!).
    Oh, and I forgot, make a Linux version already :-)

• sohbet — 8:03 AM on June 03, 2008

cause the linux version is coming later ;) or perhaps never :-(

• fjf — 12:41 PM on June 03, 2008

Yes on the Linux version. Also LR and PS and FW. Thank you.

• TD — 12:47 PM on July 01, 2008

Pity that it doesn’t run on Linux, or that there is no Linux supported version. I would love to get something like this to run on Ubuntu… although I’m sure I might be able to find something similar on Synaptic. Must definitely look. Although, I really do enjoy what I see here… and am really posting this to show that there is a growing demand amongst users for applications to be Linux supported. Adobe can really lead on this front.

• Chat — 6:08 PM on July 05, 2008

• iskele — 3:42 AM on September 02, 2008

Hmm.I like Soundbooth, special with that filter option very useful.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)