December 14, 2006
Great Photoshop CS3 beta resources
All kinds of excellent resources are popping up with details, videos, and more coverage of the Photoshop CS3 beta. I plan to keep updating this list as I find good bits. I’ve also created a new "Photoshop CS3 Beta" category that should help you track related info.
- The crew at Photoshop User have really knocked themselves out with the PSCS3 Beta Preview Learning Center. The site includes Scott Kelby’s 10 Favorite Features; videos for the Bridge loupe tool & stacks; an interview with yours truly; and much more.
- Adobe’s resident mad scientist Russell Brown has taken the wraps off his first set of new videos.
- At PhotoshopNews.com I chat at some length with Jeff Schewe about all things CS3 (what’s new in Bridge, what’s new in the Photoshop UI, and etc.). Jeff has also posted the official FAQ in HTML form.
- Macworld.com provides excellent coverage: Jim Dalrymple’s got an intro, and in this video* I talk to Jason Snell about what’s new in CS3, after which Jason demonstrates Quick Selection, Smart Filters, Zoomify export, and more. Elsewhere on the site, Philip Michaels presents a podcast in which he talks to editors Ben Long, Kelly Turner, and Jackie Dove about performance on Intel-based Macs & much more. [Update: Ben's first look is here.]
- Martin Evening has updated his popular Photoshop for Photographers with a 21-page PDF that covers the new release from a pro photographer’s point of view.
- The link may not yet be live, but Lynda.com plans to unleash a torrent of training videos shortly.
- At Ars Technica Dave Girard posts an intro in which he says, "Despite its beta status, it has heaping portions of snappy." (We’re bringin’ Snappyback, yeaah.)
- Photoshop co-architect Scott Byer shares his perspective. Regarding making PS a Universal Binary he says, "It really did take that much effort, and it really wasn’t ready until recently." [Via]
- Former Illustrator PM/full-time vector mensch Mordy Golding covers the release in a special edition of his PEN podcast.
- Adobe’s Technical Resources Manager Terry White provides a first look for Layers Magazine, demonstrating the new Vanishing Point, among other features.
- Colin Smith goes into all kinds of detail at PhotoshopCafe.
I’m sure I’m missing some good stuff (it’s flowing fast and furious!), so please feel free to pass along additional links via the comments. [Update: See also Round 2.]
*Sick of me yet?? I feel like I’m becoming the Rachel Ray of PMs: chatty and overexposed... ;-)