January 28, 2007

Shout-outs for Umlauts

Greetings from snowy Sweden (-9° C & loving it!).  I arrived last night with Caleb Belohlavek, a director on the Suite team, to start a series of visits with the press: nine cities in two weeks (gah!).  I want to keep this blog focused on Photoshop, photography, design, and the like, not making it into "As the Nack Turns."  That said, in case you see posts filed at 3am, or lighter posting until mid-February, you’ll know why. For some personal bits from the trip thus far, read on.

Stockholm is gorgeous ("the Venice of the North," they say), and from the moment we landed I was charmed to see an old Volvo 240 wagon soldiering on down the taxiway.  I’m having fun with the language–because hey, who doesn’t like a nice voiceless dorso-palatal velar fricative, not to mention A’s with stylish headwear?  I especially enjoy the process of inserting the word "kronor" into progressively more absurd contexts ("Oh man, I slept weird on the plane & now my kronor is out of whack…")–but that could be the jetlag talking.  By watching English-language shows with subtitles, I’ve picked up the words "funkinga" (“funky”; thanks, James Brown retrospective), "narko" (“dope,” via Deadwood clip), and "dog" ("dead," via WWII documentary).  Maybe I’ll pick up tips from some local bloggers; er, maybe not.

I got to walk around and take some snaps–at least until my cold camera started throwing an error message.  Not wanting a repeat of last year’s snafu, I stuffed the cam into my jacket, and later at the hotel I let my memory cards warm up at their own pace. Fortunately only one or two shots seem to be MIA, but I continue to doubt the robustness of digital cameras (or at least mine) in the cold.  If you’d like to see the shots (featuring the world’s coldest pizza), they’re here.

Tomorrow is all about work, then off to London and endless city-hopping.  For now, though, take it from me: reindeer is delicious. :-)

Posted by John Nack at 6:45 PM on January 28, 2007

Comments

• Rosyna — 9:02 PM on January 28, 2007

Heavy Metal Umlauts, ftw!
    [Röckin!! –J.]

• Mikael A — 12:08 AM on January 29, 2007

Welcome to Stockholm! May I ask how you’ll be spending your time? Your visit could indicate that there’ll be a fancy schmancy Adobe happening. Anything one should look out for?
    [Heh–my presence is over-rated. ;-) Unfortunately we’ll be leaving this afternoon. I’m sure there will be more events in the future, and I’d certainly welcome an excuse to return. –J.]

• zombiefredrik — 12:45 AM on January 29, 2007

Welcome to Sweden, I hope you had a good stay. About the blog-headline: “Ordinary Swedish women tells it all in their sex-blogs. Lena 37: I write about my lover – my husband knows nothing”.
    ÅÄÖ ;)
    [Hah–excellent! Thanks for the info. :-) –J.]

• Jesper Versfeld — 1:14 AM on January 29, 2007

Hey John. Too bad your leaving so soon, it’d be cool to meet up. We work with Adobe apps all the time for clients like Absolut Vodka and H&M. Check out our photo competition at:
    Designed entirely with Photoshop.
    [Very cool! I’ll have to blog that separately when I get a chance. –J.]
    /Jesper.
    PS. I’m really loving the PS CS3 beta right now. Finally being able to make my Intel Mac happy. Now if only Illustrator would be released as a beta as well…
    [Excellent–glad you’re liking it. As for Illustrator, unfortunately beta efforts take a lot more effort than one would imagine, and we have to put all hands on deck to ship with the quality and feature set we want. Therefore we can’t absorb the hit of doing a public beta for Illustrator. –J.]

• Mathias Vejerslev — 4:05 PM on January 29, 2007

Tjena John,
    Next time, come on vacation or sumthin’ so we can get a chance to say hi, shake your hand and tell you what a great job you are doing with Photoshop.
    Mathias (Malmö / copenhagen)
    [Heh heh–cheers, Mathias. I hope to take you up on the kind offer. Tonight we’re spending some of our 18-odd hours in London, meeting new friends from Leo Burnett in the pub around the corner. –J.]

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)