February 23, 2007

Amazing 3D-rendered woman

I’m no expert on 3D modeling & rendering, and for all I know this kind of imaging may now be common.  In any case I was blown away by the lifelike quality of Max Edwin Wahyudi’s rendering of South Korean actress Song Hye Kyo (make sure to check out the full-res version). [Via Mark Maguire]  For a far less aesthetically pleasing 3D portrait, check out my Britney momentAwful…!

Posted by John Nack at 3:16 PM on February 23, 2007

Comments

• keith — 6:01 PM on February 23, 2007

Amazing effect, I had to cover my screen – she keeps following me everywhere. Song that is, not Brit.

• thorsten wulff — 5:18 AM on February 24, 2007

Song is totally stunning. Just the hair gives her away… maybe.

• Phillip Kerman — 12:48 PM on February 24, 2007

Hmm… it’s impressive I suppose… but I really think she looks crosseyed. Plus, I don’t like the way her nostrils quickly go to pitch black. Maybe I’m super critical but those nostrils jumped right out at me… and inhaled all the light in the room.

• Martin — 12:58 PM on February 24, 2007

Wow – like you, I was amazed at the quality. Giving it only a brief look, it looks like a proper, real-life photograph.
    Well done!

• Tim North — 4:48 PM on February 24, 2007

Remarkable. I’m quite astonished at how good this is.

• Dude-X — 8:07 AM on February 25, 2007

I think its a great rendition of that woman. However, you can see that the left side of her face shows a bit of banding or greeness which is probably a result of the lighting algorithm.
    [We have ways of helping. :-) --J.]

• pixelzombie — 11:41 AM on February 26, 2007

wow, that is VERY impressive…

• Scott C. — 1:23 PM on February 27, 2007

I’m not going to even *attempt* to say anything bad about this image because it would take me a million years to make something HALF as good!
    What a bunch of negative-nancies that comment here…!

• Dude-X — 6:56 PM on February 27, 2007

Scott C.,
    I think the fault is really with the program and not the artist who put in the hours of work of getting things perfect.
    I’ve worked with 3d rendering programs before, and I don’t think I’ll have the patience to tweak lighting so that it looks perfect when rendered for full detail. The model and texture look pretty good as is, but as others have commented, the lighting does leave a bit to be desired. I blame the algorithms rather than the artist.

• steve Chapman — 10:49 PM on February 27, 2007

Thanks, John…for labeling my work “awful”!
    [Sorry, Steve--I wasn't commenting on you or your work at all, but rather on the spectacle of me, bald, with those dead doll-eyes. Can we agree that I don't make a good cue ball? :-) --J.]

• prefabrik — 12:42 AM on March 12, 2008

Even she’s not a perfect type of girl, its so realistic that i am amazed. If you look really really careful, you’ll notice it from her hair or dress.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)