February 18, 2007

Lightroom is here!

I’m delighted to say that after a year’s worth of public testing, discussion, and refinement, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is now shipping (see the newly created Adobe PR blog for the press release, etc.).  Congratulations to the team & to all the photographers who have made this application what it is!  As a reader of this blog, you don’t need me to belabor the details, so let me point out just a few things:

• You can grab a 30-day tryout version of the shipping product for Mac & Windows.  (The earlier Beta 4 build times out at the end of February, so you might want to grab the shipping version sooner rather than later.)
  • You can order the product for $199 ($299 after April 30).
  • The product page features roughly 2 minutes of great testimonials from pro photographers, as well as profiles of Doug Menuez, Sarah Silver, and Sye Williams.
  • The product pages also include plenty of detail on the application (e.g. its tight integration with Photoshop).

In addition, Adobe Camera Raw 3.7, together with an updated DNG Converter, is available for download (Windows | Mac).  In addition to bringing compatibility with settings created in Lightroom, ACR now supports more than 150 cameras, including the Nikon D40 and the Pentax K10D.  And though the cameras don’t appear on the official compatibility list, Phase One shooters will be happy to know that Lightroom and ACR now (unofficially) support a number of P1 cameras (H20, H25, P20, P21, P25, P30, & P45), and Fuji customers have preliminary support for the S5.

So, with that, thanks again for helping to guide & craft Lightroom over this past year, and happy shooting!

Posted by John Nack at 11:04 PM on February 18, 2007

Comments

• Maryland Wedding Photographers — 6:59 AM on February 19, 2007

Congrats. One quick question, did the custom identity plate stay in 1.0? That’s a nice little branding feature that makes it all your own.
    [Oh, definitely. You can use it to customize the app, as well as to watermark images. –J.]

• Eric Nunn — 8:29 AM on February 19, 2007

Does this mean with ACR3.7, I will be able to open Phase One raw files directly in photoshop?
    [Bingo. –J.]

• m0nstermike — 11:07 AM on February 19, 2007

If nothing else, ACR 3.7 will force me to step *all the way* into my raw workflow, since I’ve traditionally set exposure and shadows manually and brightness/contrast in auto.
    [The set of editing controls, including individual auto checkboxes, doesn’t change in ACR 3.7. In ACR 4 there is (or will be) a shortcut for invoking auto on a per-slider basis, but that behavior is no longer emphasized in the UI. –J.]
    Going to have to dig into that Lightroom demo to get myself up-to-date!

• Eric Nunn — 1:23 PM on February 19, 2007

I have a session of three files sent to me from a Phase one user and I still don’t appear to be able to open them using ACR 3.7, any ideas?
    [Not offhand, but I’m happy to inquire. –J.]

• Eric Nunn — 3:56 AM on February 20, 2007

Sorry John, was being a bit thick, all ok now…

• Claudio — 4:02 AM on February 20, 2007

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom: the Ars Technica review by Dave Girard

• Howard Gebeaux — 5:15 AM on February 21, 2007

Just a question. Today is Wednesday. Lightroom has been “out” for several days. Back in Jan. I ordered it – not the download but the physical box. My account still shows Pending at the Adobe Store. When will they ACTUALLY ship Lightroom?
    [I’m sure they’re manufacturing the disks as fast as possible. When yours will reach you largely depends on where you are on the globe. But in the meantime you can grab the tryout version, which is identical to the GM (gold master) bits on disk. –J.]

• Maryland Wedding Photographers — 5:23 AM on February 24, 2007

Received LR yesterday. That was pretty quick out the door.
    Ok, I am now starting to play with my v1 and love the auto import feature. I do have some questions though. Is it possible to get the sequential number with padded zeros? For example 001 vs. 1. That way if your shoot/gig etc has a large number of images, it is in the right order? Otherwise you will get 1, 10 etc. then 2 after them. The padding removes this.
    When I shoot weddings, I typically unload 6 to 10 cards and then do a batch rename in bridge synced on the time stamps since I have multiple cameras and that way I can get them all in the right order. Not sure how this would work using the import. I would had to do it after the fact since I love the concept of the auto backup to another drive right at import and would hate to miss it.
    Another feature that would be nice is if it converted to DNG on the import too. That way I do not have to run the converter, then remove the canon raw files, defrag the drive, etc. after the fact.
    [Tom Hogarty replies,
    To obtain sequential numbering that includes additional units, choose the File Naming drop down in the Auto Import Settings dialog box. Select the last option, “Edit…” and under numbering you will find the “Sequence” option. Select the ‘001’ sequence choice from the drop down and complete any other file naming customization required. Choose “Save as new preset” from the drop down menu at the top of the dialog so that you can reuse the naming schema.

For your wedding workflow I would use the Import Dialog box and choose the “Copy Photos as Digital Negatives(DNG) and Import” (You can choose the backup option at this time) Once all of your images are in the Library you can sort by “Capture Time” from the Toolbar and use the rename function in the Library.(F2) –J.]

• Chris — 9:08 PM on February 24, 2007

So is Lightroom a universal binary or must one buy separate versions per intel/power pc?
    [It’s universal. –J.]

• Raoul — 6:49 AM on March 02, 2007

I like Lightroom but I’m pretty unhappy with the blurring effect that happens every time I make an adjustment to a photo. It also happens when I use the Loupe. I guess every time Lightroom has to compute something about the photo, it blurs it out. Well, this gives me headaches. My eyes go crazy trying to focus on the blurred out photo, and I wish this effect could be turned off.
    [It’s not an effect per se, and it happens only when LR trades off display quality for interactivity. It’s faster to compute fewer pixels, so the effects of adjustments can be made smoother by computing only a subset of the pixels (hence the blurring), then computing them all when time permits. So, all of this will be a function of image size vs. computer horsepower. –J.]

• Alex Bachnick — 5:38 AM on March 14, 2007

I love the Lightroom V1!
    I tried doing a red-eye fix a couple days ago and it was a little stoogey (slow). I reset the RE Diameter several times, and it wasn’t working too fast.
    I am on G-4 Mac PB, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB DRAM, Apple Cinema Display, 2 300 GB Seagate External Hard Drives for BU.
    I also run LR off the Newest SG EHD.
    The cache is building in the Mac, but it isn’t building as fast as in Beta 4. I am down to 27GB on the Mac HD, and will have to clean it soon.
    Seth Resnick of D-65 suggests not getting below 50% of Mac HD. I have been down to 14% generating a slide show DVD, but the Mac slowed, but didn’t crash. Whew!!!
    Love Lightroom–it’s nearly paid for itself in a week. Saves lots of edit time. Wish I could export as PSD, but I have figured multiple workarounds…
    Thanks,
    Alex@bachnickphoto.com

• Alex Bachnick — 5:39 AM on March 14, 2007

I love the Lightroom V1!
    I also run LR off the Newest SG EHD.
    Thanks,
    Alex@bachnickphoto.com

• Ndkoster — 2:55 PM on March 19, 2007

Just wondering what “preliminary support for the S5″ means exactly?
    I just bought a Fuji S5 this week. I’m used to working in Aperture but I’m considering switching over. If I buy Lightroom now, can I process, view, adjust, etc. the Fuji S5 raw files?
    Thanks!
    [I believe you can, yes, though I’ll try to gather more details. One way to find out is to download the free Lightroom tryout. –J.]

• Mikko — 12:20 PM on July 31, 2007

can you put watermarks using adobe lightroom???
    [Yes; try creating an identity plate, then using that when printing. I’m not sure offhand whether it can be used on top of images in the Web gallery module. –J.]

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)