February 15, 2007

Photoshop: Dolla dolla bill, y’all

It’s all about the ducats: Today’s NY Times features a photo of artist (er, medallic sculptor) Joseph Menna using Photoshop and a Wacom Cintiq pressure-sensitive monitor to create a portrait of George Washington, along with a story about how the Mint is planning to issue $1 coins that feature images of dead presidents.  Nice to see Photoshop being used to design currency outside of a dorm room (oh!).

Posted by John Nack at 2:00 PM on February 15, 2007

Comments

• John Dowdell — 2:44 PM on February 15, 2007

Hi John, on similar subject, I was just trying to find legal clip art for currency of various nations, and I came up short.
    I remember at one point moneyfactory.gov was the place, at least for US currency, but I can’t find high-res samples there now.
    Is there a standard search term for finding such resources? If someone wanted to make an illustration with a twenty-dollar bill, or a hundred yuan or a thousand won, how should they do so…?
    [Good questions, John. Let me see what I can find out. –J.]

• Mark — 7:31 AM on February 16, 2007

Ouch! Joseph’s going to have some SERIOUS carpal tunnel going if he spends much time drawing at that awkward angle.
    That said, I wonder if he’s touching up his hand drawn work in photoshop, or if he’s just that good with a tablet. Whatever the case…sweet job for an illustrator, huh? Talk about archival quality jobs…
    [No doubt! –J.]

• John Cornicello — 9:50 AM on February 16, 2007

The US Secret Service lists the guidelines for reproducing currency and stamps at http://www.secretservice.gov/money_law.shtml and http://www.secretservice.gov/money_illustrations.shtml.

• John Dowdell — 4:24 PM on February 16, 2007

Thanks, John C, but I’m not sure that those laws will help people who actually need to do photoillustrations involving US currency.
    Isn’t there some type of resource for making legal images of international currency…?

• Monika Gause — 1:43 PM on February 18, 2007

Hello John Dowdell,
    it’s been a long time since I bothered you with questions on Direct-L. Maybe this link is of help:
    it popped up anytime you tried to open a currency image in Photoshop CS

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)