March 08, 2007

New lens comes with free hernia

Damn–this new Sigma lens (200-500mm, F2.8) is a beast; see details (which omit the key question of weight).  No word on whether this thing ships with its own crew of sherpas.  Of course, it’s still no match for that 500+ lb custom Zeiss monster, but it’s impressive nonetheless. [Via Russell Williams]

Posted by John Nack at 6:20 PM on March 08, 2007

Comments

• BWJones — 8:09 PM on March 08, 2007

200-500 *F2.8* Wow. I’d ask for a price, but one suspects that if ya gotta ask…

• Will — 9:36 PM on March 08, 2007

I love that they give you a 2X adaptor with it… which turns it into a 400-1000/F5.6.

• Stephen Shankland — 12:11 AM on March 09, 2007

I asked the Sigma folks about the lens weight. The answer: 40 kilograms, or 88 pounds.
    [Groovy–thanks for the info. Now, ‘scuse me while I hit the gym, then rob a bank… –J.]

• russell — 1:55 AM on March 09, 2007

for a 200-500mm lens, it’s size is stupid big!

• keith — 5:27 AM on March 09, 2007

Think this is the formula to find the weight: aperture x min focal length = lbs. Or, maybe its max focal length? Instead of sherpas, there’s a Toyota Forerunner option.

• John Cornicello — 9:59 AM on March 09, 2007

sportsShooter has a photo with a person in it at

• Victor Gavenda — 11:31 AM on March 09, 2007

That Sigma photo is the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time! I thought “what’s that weird little thing stuck on the end? Oh…that’s the camera…”
    And that Zeiss lens is a hoot, too. It reminds me of that planet-gobbling monster that swallowed up William Windom in the original Star Trek series:
    (scroll way down, and check out the Original pic, not the remastered one).

• Craig Ferroggiaro — 7:40 PM on March 09, 2007

Hopefully it comes with a security system. In the city, I would get mugged carrying around one of those!
    [Presumably it beeps when it backs up. –J.]

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)