June 20, 2007

Multitouch: $2 or $10,000?

The folks at Medallia claim to have devised a multitouch user input device using two dollars’ worth of dye and Ziploc bags.  Hmm–interesting clip, but doesn’t it seem they’ve pretty much mashed up a couple seconds of new footage (producing colored blobs) with chunks of other people’s demos (the chess demo from Tactiva, etc.)?  Beyond the technology, I’m struck by the number of comments below the video that boil down to "hah hah u pwned those fat-cats lolz!!"  Man are there some credulous people in the world. [Via Tom Attix]

Speaking of pwning Microsoft, however, this parody of the recently-announced, $10,000-a-pop Surface project is pretty damn funny.  I can’t wait to get tanked with my friends, using a device the size of a small car. [Via]

Posted by John Nack at 11:49 PM on June 20, 2007

Comments

• Stalin — 12:41 AM on June 21, 2007

Ur whole point of writing this post is to make fun of MS. Admit it man

• henri @ B2B marketing blog — 4:36 AM on June 21, 2007

I will definitely take the $2 one ;-) Very cool and innovative how they did this. Thanks for the tip.

• Mrad — 6:20 AM on June 21, 2007

That surface video is awesome. “Take that Apple!”

• Pedro Estarque — 10:30 AM on June 21, 2007

$2 for a plastic bag and ink ? This guy is ripping you off, I can get it for 0.50 cents. : )
    Seriously though, very nice if it works. However, until we see the driver for that, it vaporware.
    [...or squish-ware, maybe. --J.]

• Thomas — 7:20 PM on June 21, 2007

I always love how feisty people get in comments.
    The web comic xkcd, created a post on comments on YouTube.
    Link to the comic in my post here:
    [On that note, see also Five Flickr comments left on the latest self-portrait of you staring slightly off-camera with your mouth open. And Mike Johnston has posted his own spot-on parody of dim-witted photo blog commenters. --J.]

• Eric — 8:44 PM on June 21, 2007

Um, wait, he used an iSight camera too, which I paid $135 for in 2003.
    So it’s $137.00 Multi-touch devie. MUCH closer to $10,000 no? :-D

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)