July 10, 2007

Security update for Photoshop available

Adobe has posted a security update for Photoshop CS2 and CS3 that addresses a potential vulnerability reported earlier this year.  We’re not aware of anyone having been affected by the vulnerability, but obviously we don’t want to leave it unpatched, so it’s a good idea to take a minute to run this update.  It consists of revised versions of the plug-ins that read BMP, PNG, RLE, DIB, and Targa files.

Posted by John Nack at 4:04 PM on July 10, 2007

Comments

• Bobby — 5:07 PM on July 10, 2007

When will it be available through Adobe Updater?
    [Soon–but I’m not sure exactly when. –J.]

• heathrowe — 6:32 PM on July 10, 2007

Thanks for the heads up John.
    However, the manual download link for Windows is not working.
    [Yikes–that’s embarassing. We’ll get it sorted out. Thanks for the heads-up. –J.]

• Vancouver Island Daryl — 9:45 PM on July 10, 2007

I love it when companies patch software as fast as you guys! I couldn’t live without Photoshop…

• Nicolas — 11:47 PM on July 10, 2007

Unofficial but seemingly efficient workaround for the Windows manual download link : paste it into the notepad, and replace the folder named /zip/ with one named /win/ .
    [Perfect–thanks. –J.]

• Kent Christiansen — 12:32 AM on July 11, 2007

John,
    If you haven’t figured it out the url for the windows d/l is:
    [Thanks, Kent. –J.]

• Bri — 7:33 AM on July 11, 2007

THANK YOU for patching CS2 as well. We’re not all on the bleeding edge (and more importantly, neither are our printers).

• Scott — 10:19 AM on July 11, 2007

Hi John,
    If you run across anyone with influence up there :), you might suggest to them that naming ALL the Adobe Suite updates the same thing may not be the perfect solution.
    Thanks
    Scott
    [Good point, Scott; I’ll pass that along. –J.]

• John C. Welch — 11:42 AM on July 11, 2007

I would just like to thank the Photoshop team for setting up the patch in a way that works well with network management systems such as ARD, LanRev, Radmind, etc.
    Too bad the Flash team couldn’t be as nice, and insists on using VISE installers.

• Ted — 9:30 AM on July 12, 2007

When I ran the patcher, it displayed a message that it had patched CS3. I haven’t deleted CS2, but it made no mention of patching that. Did it also patch CS2, or do I need to do something else?
    [The patcher works only with CS3. For CS2 you’ll need to download the “manual” set of plug-ins and install them by hand. –J.]

• Praca — 8:14 AM on July 13, 2007

I couldn’t live without Photoshop. Thanks for article

• Rolle — 4:58 AM on November 05, 2007

This update doesn’t work with finnish Adobe Photoshop CS2/CS3. Does this have multi-language support because it seems to be working only in english-versions?

• Mary Stirrett — 9:53 AM on January 10, 2008

What are the “Patcher” files that have been saved to my pc in documents and settings/my directory/local settings/temp? I have been watching my “opitmizer” program for 2 1/2 hours as it goes through several of these folders and removes them.
    Is it safe for me to just delete them myself so the optimizer program does not take hours to run?
    Thanks!

• nascent — 7:39 AM on November 03, 2008

The download link no longer works, as the macromedia download site has gone. Can you please host the file on adobe.com somewhere?

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)