August 28, 2007

Imaging heavy hitters join Adobe

A number of rock stars from the world of image science have recently joined Adobe:

Adobe Senior Principal Scientist David Salesin, who manages this crew, notes that "If you count their SIGGRAPH papers as well, you’ll see that current Adobe employees had 11 of the 108 papers in the conference."

Now, let me inject a disclaimer:  Just because a particular researcher has worked on a particular technology in his or her past life, it’s not possible to conclude that a specific feature will show up in a particular Adobe product.  How’s that for non-commital? ;-)  In any case, it’s just exciting that so many smart folks are joining the team (more brains to hijack!).

[Update: Cambridge, MA-based Xconomy provides additional context for this news.]

Posted by John Nack at 2:38 PM on August 28, 2007

Comments

• Andrew Smith — 6:17 PM on August 28, 2007

Of course, it would be a shame to see all that talent go to waste! :-P
    [Of all the things I worry about, that’s not one of ‘em. :-) –J.]

• Scott Valentine — 8:45 PM on August 28, 2007

hmm… one has to wonder if Adobe plans to push further into the forensics world. I would love to see Photoshop driving electron and optical microscopy applications. Lord knows those fields need a shot in the arm.

• BWJones — 11:36 PM on August 28, 2007

Re: Scott Valentine’s comment…. John, you see what I am talking about? There have been a couple of 800lb gorillas in the scientific imaging world that have prevented lots of innovation from happening in a number of areas over the last few years. Deconvolution? Please, that is so 1997…

• Joe — 12:48 PM on August 29, 2007

Now I’m hoping you’re not about to hire this guy making Pixel image editor at http://www.kanzelsberger.com … that would be bad luck for us, Linux users having the only hope for real image editor :)

• Chris Cox — 1:01 PM on August 29, 2007

And yet, deconvolution still doesn’t have a good solution…
    Mr. Jones — I hear ya. But since the Photoshop team doesn’t spend most of it’s time working with microscopes, they could use some external advice on what features are necessary to support folks that do.

• Mathias Vejerslev — 9:13 AM on August 30, 2007

I think Sylvain owes me a beer. I remember telling you guys to ‘buy these people’ when I first saw the tonemap papers! Wonderful, lets get that into CS4 please :-)
    [Heh–I’ll pass that along. –J.]

• Word Hugger — 1:15 AM on September 02, 2007

I saw that on TechCrunch frontpage. The image resizer looks really cool.

• John Dic — 9:30 AM on October 29, 2007

Photoshop big and difficult program, I am using small software for image resizing.

• Tony Ian — 10:40 AM on November 06, 2007

I think Adobe will offload most of the work to its Delhi backoffice…Adobe has to generate revenues for its stockholder, cool research is good, but if it does not enter the product line sooner than later, the whole group will face what most top corporate research lab faces..Till then, these guys can enjoy the honeymoon in Newton

• Collin LaHay — 7:58 PM on November 16, 2007

Sweet… although it looks like this is old news (not for me lol).

• Vuelos — 6:24 PM on February 01, 2008

I am using small software for image resizing. Good solution.

• Videos gratis — 4:56 PM on February 04, 2008

The image resizer is really cool.

• One Year Millionaire — 10:39 PM on May 08, 2008

I think that just because one person has had a famous project that people have talked about in the past doesn’t mean that this will be mirrored in their later work. Is it possible that they are trying to move in other directions?

• Tool Belt — 10:24 AM on May 30, 2008

I think they will offload all that they can. I mean there bottom line is to make money and if they can do that off loading, I am sure they will be more then willing.

• Dead President Designs — 12:21 PM on June 24, 2008

I agree with TOOL BELT… if they are gonna be making money they will do it..

• Newfoundland Business Directory — 7:51 AM on July 25, 2008

@ tool belt, I don’t think that this will happen. many companies have kept things that aren’t money makers, just for shear research.

• Articulos — 8:11 AM on January 19, 2009

I am using this software for image resizing. Very Good solution.

• compras — 3:22 PM on January 20, 2009

it will go in the wrong hands and make fake pictures even easier to create :-)

• onagra — 3:13 PM on September 29, 2009

I´m been using the image resizer for months and it´s a very good solution, easy to use and intuitive.
    good post

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)