September 18, 2007

Adobe-Leopard Non-Issue o’ the Day

Various people have been wondering about this statement:

“CS3 hasn’t fully been tested under [Mac OS X] Leopard,” Adobe Chief Executive Bruce Chizen told Reuters in an interview. “If it doesn’t work, we will make the necessary adjustments.”

Here’s my take: It’s impossible to say that something has been “fully tested” on a platform that is not yet finished.  Therefore, until Leopard ships (expected this Fall), Adobe can’t say with confidence that everything is A-OK.  Once Leopard hits the streets, if the various product teams discover that something isn’t working well on the new OS, they’ll work on addressing the problem.

In the meantime, lots of folks at Adobe and Apple continue to work together, as they always do, to make things work as well as possible out of the gate. (The same is true with Microsoft & Windows updates.)

Anyway, I hope that provides a little peace of mind.

Posted by John Nack at 11:40 AM on September 18, 2007

Comments

• Peter Witham — 10:58 AM on September 18, 2007

Oh my god! I hope it works with the unreleased OS that comes out in 10 years :)
    I would of thought it was a given that it might not be totally compatible at this time, but I guess people have been asking about it.
    Anyone that installs an OS on a production machine the day it comes out needs their head examined anyway. I wouldn’t want to mess up my nice CS3 install for no reason.

• Phillip Kerman — 3:59 PM on September 18, 2007

I agree this isn’t the sky falling–but don’t you all have access to pre-release versions of the OS?
    [Yes; that's what I meant when I said that Adobe and Apple are, and have been, working together. --J.]
    Also, why not just give Bruce a ring and ask him what he means? Better yet, Bruce: can you elaborate here?
    [Having been tracking our Leopard compatibility story for many months, I'm confident I stated his meaning accurately. --J.]

• Zach Stepek — 8:43 PM on September 18, 2007

Talk about putting the cart before the horse… I think this was a piece of journalistic brilliance, personally! I honestly don’t thing that Apple would change much, especially after everyone just ported their apps to Universal binaries.

• jimhere — 5:48 AM on September 19, 2007

I’ve never had a problem with the apps working since system 6 or 7 (1993).
    Actual users are not worried.
    It’s the Adobe Corporate people who think PS needs a new “identity” that don’t understand what this stuff is.

• Pedro Estarque — 8:11 AM on September 19, 2007

My first reaction was “we’ve got to ask John about it”. Then I reconsidered, they’re probably just trying to read too much out of an out of context quote. Thanks for the confirmation.
    This is Apple we’re talking about here. We didn’t expect them to move to x86 after everyone just ported to OS X. And they also told everyone Carbon was going to be 64bit. Well, guess what.

• Ade Feks — 12:45 PM on September 19, 2007

couldnt have put it any better Mr Nack. – A

• Chad — 11:44 AM on September 20, 2007

Thank you!
    Some sensibility on the topic. Until Leopard has been released, it is going to be a moving target. So, unless something drastically gets changed, I imagine the current products will continue to work pretty well. And if not, then Adobe will push out the appropriate updates.
    But if it helps assuage fears, I still run Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10, and I haven’t had any problems with those programs from running (problems with newer versions of PSD or AI files, perhaps, but that’s another issue…).

• alex — 6:52 AM on October 28, 2007

Chad, are you serious ref PS7 and Illustrator 10. I have both of these and a dual 1.6GHz G4 (upgraded) with ATI Radeon 9800 256MB, and I’ve cancelled my order of Leopard as it cripples PS. You’re the first report I’ve seen where Photoshop still works. What’s your setup and how did you install please?

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)