October 26, 2007
Friday typography: Leopards, Ketels, & more
- Veerle’s got a tutorial on replicating OS X Leopard’s "inset text" effect via Photoshop & Illustrator. [Via]
- Typographica talks about embedded Web fonts . "The fonts you’re allowed to embed legally aren’t worth using; the fonts that are worth using aren’t embeddable." [Via]
- Thorsten Wulff’s posted a video interview with Gary Hustwit, director of "Helvetica." Speaking of that famous face, check out the Helvetica Mug. See also Douglas Coupland’s thoughts on Helvetica.
- The Washington Post comments on those text-only Ketel One ads. "My dad started crying, I started crying, my brother started crying," says Carl Nolet Jr., who sounds on the phone like he’s not kidding. "It was exactly what we wanted to say. It was simple, it was black and white, it was genuine."
- Shotgun Magazine features a tutorial on creating a cool slow shutter text effect in Photoshop. [Via]
- On CreativePro.com, Ilene Strizver’s posted a variety of good tips for working with text in InDesign and Quark.
- Michael Perry loves hand-drawn type & has given his collection a salty name.