December 07, 2007

Flash/Amazon-powered typography & more

• Yugo Nakamura & Keita Kitamura’s Amazetype uses Amazon Web services to spell out artists’ names using pieces of their work.  Here’s an example done for "the Beatles".  [Via Miguel Marcos]
  • Marian Bantjes has drawn up a lovely influence map, cataloging the contributors to her style.
  • Pentagram’s offering a neat-looking wall calendar.  If calendars are up your alley, see also Massimo Vignelli’s inexplicably beloved (?) Stendig calendar. (Beware the pompous accompanying copy.)  [Via]
  • I love the simplicity of The Italic Poster. [Via]
  • I feel like pouring one out in mourning for Zapfino, the latest once-lovely typeface to get pummeled by every hack within range of a computer.  (Did it get bundled into CorelDRAW or something? >;-))  In its place, I quietly suggest Alejandro Paul’s Affair typeface (the same one seen in that Swash belt buckle).
  • BMW uses a thousand words to describe everything but the driving experience.
  • Paula Scher’s beautifully type-heavy paintings are on display in NYC. [Via]
  • Flickr hosts a set of images showing spelling via body parts (nothing NSFW, mind you).   [Via Miguel Marcos]
  • I don’t speak Japanese, but that doesn’t dilute the impact of this text-centric poster on global warming. [Via]
Posted by John Nack at 2:02 PM on December 07, 2007

Comments

• Mark Thomas — 9:10 PM on December 07, 2007

In a stroke of irony, The Italic Poster appears to be oblique.

• Aleks — 10:59 AM on December 08, 2007

Is the font in the Italic Poster, Franklin new Gothic?
    I always seem to see this font being used in all caps in many designs but never seem to find it on many font sites or the Adobe Font Folio package.

• Reed Reibstein — 9:33 PM on December 08, 2007

May I also recommend my favorite of Ale Paul’s script, Burgues Script? Ministry Script, Candy Script, and the new Feel Script are also luscious and inspired. Mm-mmm.

• Mark Thomas — 8:04 AM on December 09, 2007

Akzidenz Grotesk, I believe, furthering the irony since Akzidenz Grotesk’s “italics” are merely oblique romans.

• Rachel — 6:19 AM on December 11, 2007

I echo your sentiments about Zapfino. I’m afraid to use it now for fear of looking like said hacks! Goes to show that design matters, you can’t just fall back on a beautiful typeface.

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)