January 31, 2008
New 3D Photoshop plug-ins
Great news: Developers are building on top of the 3D features in Photoshop CS3 Extended to deliver some great solutions. In just the last week we’ve seen a flurry of announcments:
- DAZ 3D has announced a beta of 3D Bridge for Photoshop, a connecter between DAZ’s free DAZ Studio 3D editing app & Photoshop. [Via]
- Strata has upgraded the Strata CX Suite.
- 3Dlayer.com has launched to provide expert tips & news specifically tailored to using 3D inside Photoshop.
According to the DAZ launch announcement, their tool lets you:
- View 3D scenes as Photoshop layers
- Change objects and figures simultaneously
- Render directly into Photoshop
- Import, export and modify image maps and textures onto 3D models in Photoshop
- Composite 2D and 3D content seamlessly
- Access DAZ’s full library of quality 3D content [DAZ gives away the editing application & sells adjustable content]
- Send a 3D model to PS as a 3D layer
- Send a finished rendering to PS as separate layers (shadow layer, reflection layer, color layer, etc)
- Send a PS image to a 3D background for tracing or placement
- Send a 3D model direct from PS to PDF or HTML and it embeds the 3D object (you read that correctly)
- Link PS files as 3D textures – changes made are automatically updated in the 3D texture
Good stuff all around. We think that 3D in CS3 Extended is a big step forward, and of course we’re not planning to rest on those laurels. I love seeing great developers like Strata and DAZ jump on the opportunity to help enrich the story.
By the way, did you know that you can browse the Google 3D Warehouse right from within Photoshop CS3 Extended? Here’s more info. Also, Adobe’s Steve Whatley mentions that Adobe is on tour with Maxon, showing off 3D integration between the tools.