May 07, 2008

Chris Cox starts a performance blog

If it’s in Photoshop and it goes fast, there’s a very good chance that Chris Cox has had something to do with it.  Chris is, among a great many other things, the go-to guy for optimizing many functions in the app.  (At various times we’ve known there’s some kind of crazy-exotic Apple hardware in Chris’s office–something that would emerge many months later as the G5, etc.–and that he’s busily tuning the app for it but can’t tell us any of the details.)  In any case, he has started a blog on C++ performance.  If that’s up your alley, I recommend subscribing to the feed.

[Semi-irrelevant personal aside: After so many years of consulting Chris to learn about HDR imaging, color management, GPUs vs. CPUs, and so on, I’m taking some pleasure in sharing my meager (yet superior) knowledge of CSS with him, hipping him to groovy tools like Xyle scope.  I’ve gotta enjoy the moment while it lasts!]

Posted by John Nack at 10:17 PM on May 07, 2008

Comments

• Chris Cox — 12:10 AM on May 08, 2008

I must bow to your wisdom, oh great guru of the blog….

• Jim Pogozelski — 5:13 AM on May 08, 2008

Ooooh, I thought you meant ‘Performance”. (Does he play music or dance or something?)

• Chris Cox — 12:13 PM on May 08, 2008

Does the way I play 2 keyboards and mice at once count? (Rick Wakeman would be jealous)
    No, this is about software performance: choreographing the dance of bits inside your machine, moving the tempo of your app from a slow Adagio to a good Allegro and sometimes Prestissimo, or trying to find why one section is still playing Larghissimo.

• tom — 9:19 AM on March 03, 2011

LOL, this explains why do your bugs listen to Allegro!

• Tatia Johnson — 8:22 AM on August 09, 2011

Hi Chris – do I have the right guy here? We lost touch -and I lost your moms’ email, too. If you recognize my name…and wish to catch up – email me.
    Hope you are well. Can’t wait to hear what you are up to.
    Hugs,

Tatia

• Chris Cox — 9:56 AM on August 09, 2011

Yes, I recognize the name. But this is John Nack’s blog, not mine. A quick search should get you my adobe.com email address or my Facebook page.

• jm Le goff — 6:48 AM on August 16, 2012

I’m not sure that feed is very up to date…

But as something used as a “bottle to the sea”, I try to use this “blog msg box” to try getting any interest from Chris to some issues I get in “CS6- PS extended” concerning 3D…

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)