May 18, 2008

Take your camera to Tasmania–for free

Photographer Mikkel Aaland, organizer of the recent Lightroom Adventure down under, passed along some attractive info:

Follow in the footsteps of the Adobe Lightroom Adventure Photographers or create your own adventure on the beautiful island of Tasmania!  Here is your chance to win a trip for two to experience the natural beauty of Tasmania first hand.

Roundtrip economy airfare for two on Qantas Airways from one of their North American gateways – Los Angeles, San Francisco or New York City (JFK) – to the island of Tasmania.
Two nights’ accommodation in Tasmania.

What do you have to do?  Just fill out a simple form & you’re good to go.  Good luck & happy inverted shooting.

I’ve been meaning to blog about the Adventure for quite a while, but my draft full-o’-links was lost to my hard drive crash.  Therefore I’ll keep it simple for now and just recommend checking out the beautiful galleries of images captured by the participants.  At the moment I’m grooving on some work from NatGeo photographer Bruce Dale.  (What is this thing?)

Posted by John Nack at 4:49 PM on May 18, 2008

Comments

• Phil Brown — 6:31 PM on May 18, 2008

It’s a wombat! :-)
    [Groovy–thanks, Phil. Seems like the kind of thing that trendy, foolish celebrities would try to keep as a pet. –J.]

• Patrick Boland — 8:07 PM on May 18, 2008

Wombats don’t make very good pets. Notoriously grumpy and very nocturnal.
    [Absolutely tangentially, I heard a lecturer (Jared Diamond, maybe) say that if rhinos had a different disposition, history might have looked very different, complete with waves of African cavalry overrunning Europe. I now refer to donning some rhino-clad shorts as “putting on the African cavalry.” –J.]
    I saw Bruce Dale speak in Sydney just after he did this trip. I was incredibly envious of the apparent fun they had!
    [Yeah, you and me both. They always leave me behind to mind the store. ;-) –J.]
    The gallery is very much worth viewing.

• Keith Wilson — 8:15 PM on May 18, 2008

Australia’s most famous wombat was called “Fatso” and appeared on A Country Practise – Aussie soapie equivalent of General Hospital
    [I wonder whether he knew Arnold from Green Acres. –J.]

• Aaron Spence — 8:46 PM on May 18, 2008

Gorgeous work by the photo team, I especially loved Bruce Dale’s photography… a man after my own heart with the panoramas.
    Anyone wanting to experience Tasmania, as much as it’s possible on computer, should check out our 700+ georeferenced Tasmania virtual tours here: http://tinyurl.com/6rqdma
    [Super cool, Aaron; I need to devote a proper blog entry to you guys (soon, soon…). –J.]
    I’m pretty sure we have most of the regions visited by the LR team.
    Thanks, Aaron Spence.

• Ken — 8:52 PM on May 18, 2008

Jack,
    Thanks for the tip. If I win a trip I hope Adobe will help me out at least to get to New York..
    Affectionately Adobe user PSCS3, and more
    Ken

• Akash — 12:06 AM on May 19, 2008

Bad that this only for US and Canada citizens :(

• Christian Kahlbom — 11:51 AM on May 20, 2008

Hi!
    Since I’m from Sweden I can’t participate in the contest. But, interestingly… the contest rules says “CANADIAN ENTRANTS: If the Potential winner is a Canadian Resident, he/she will be required to correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question before being declared the winner.”… WHY?? What kind of rule is this?? To me it sounds like a joke!!
    [I know–I saw that and figured it *is* a joke. Pretty bizarre. –J.]

• Roger — 7:50 PM on May 20, 2008

“If the Potential winner is a Canadian Resident”… a way the lawyers worked out to avoid jail time for “illegal gambling”… but the joke’s on you, winners in Canada are not taxed on their prizes. Just everything else… (Quick, what’s 1 / 0 ? :-)

• imajez — 2:30 AM on May 21, 2008

I’d guess the maths thing may not be a joke if the American laws are anything like the Uk with regard to competitions. The reason for the question being there is to avoid being classed as a lottery. Therefore contestestents have to show some ‘skill’. So with say phoneline competitions with TV shows, people usually have to pick one of three answers and they are normally about as dificult as this.
    Who is the Queen of the UK?
    a] Nelson Mandella
    b] Queen Elizabeth
    c] President Bush.
    The questions are so stupidly easy everyone can get them and therefore no skill is in fact required and it is a lottery, i.e. random chance of winning.

• competitions — 4:38 PM on May 03, 2009

Fantastic competition and the trip to Tasmania is a great prize. I should know, I live there!

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)