June 20, 2008

Use Bridge to extract metadata

I’ve gotten a few inquiries lately about whether it’s possible to extract metadata from images and other files using Adobe Bridge.  Short answer: Absolutely.  Try John Hake’s workflow automation scripts, one of which (Metadata_BR.jsx) extracts metadata from selected files and generates Comma Separated Value (CSV) reports.

To do more with Bridge automation, check out this Flash-enabled JPEG export script, and download the Bridge SDK to write your own scripts. [Via David Franzen]

Posted by John Nack at 12:07 AM on June 20, 2008

Comments

• Mick — 2:36 AM on June 20, 2008

Where can I find a blog by David Franzen?
    Does he have one?
    [Not that I know of, but I’ll ask him. –J.]

• David — 7:53 AM on June 20, 2008

Thanks, I’ve been looking for an easy way to export metadata to csv.
    Unfortunately, I can’t get the script to work.
    JavaScript error (Photoshop:1701): WasLoader is undefined.
    I don’t have WorkflowScriptLoader.jsx and WasScriptLibrary.jsx, and the readme says these files are prerequisites.

• keith — 10:53 AM on June 20, 2008

For a Frazen blog:
    And his food blog too

• Sean Phillips — 12:06 PM on June 20, 2008

What about the opposite? Is there a way to import metadata from a CSV or other text file??
    [And map it onto images? I’m sure that can be done. It’s all a matter of writing a script that does what you want. –J.]

• Danya Henninger — 6:29 AM on June 21, 2008

Here’s a script I cobbled together that exports an XML file optimized for use with a Spry photo gallery. Very useful!
    [Cool, thanks for sharing it. –J.]

• Edouard Aronson — 2:38 PM on August 11, 2009

Does it work with Bridge CS4 ? I’m afraid not.

• Wayne Webb — 7:27 AM on September 18, 2009

How about getting this little gem to work in CS4. And it really neesd to export to an XML file.
    Adobe gives us no way to export a directory’s worth of XML, PERIOD!

• Jeff Selleck — 4:46 PM on October 06, 2009

I do not see the “Export XML for Spry Gallery” in Bridge’s Tool menu. I’m using Bridge CS4, but also did not see it in CS3, which I also tried. Any advice? Thanks.

• Jeff Selleck — 4:58 PM on October 06, 2009

Disregard my last post. I moved the “Export XML for Spry Gallery” file to Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Startup Scripts CS4/Adobe Bridge and it works perfectly. Thank you.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)