July 23, 2008
War, suicide, fire… and t-shirts
- Death & destruction:
- Photojournalist Warren Zinn reflects on the photo that made Army medic Joseph Dwyer famous, and wonders whether it contributed to the troubled vet’s death last month.
- Kottke features the disarmingly placid image Robert Wiles captured immediately after Evelyn McHale leapt to her death from the observation deck of the Empire State Building in 1947. (Warhol later made it into a print.)
- The Big Picture features some spectacular wildfire imagery from recent California blazes.
- Find giclée paseé? Try printing on grass instead. (Just don’t ask us to soft-proof it.) [Via Doug Nelson]
- Beware sketchy, sketchy photogs.
- I never saw them while living in snowy Illinois, Boston, or NY, but CA roads are full of stick-on "Botts dots." They’re now available as part of a complete breakfast.
- Make mine intermediated: Photo nation.