July 25, 2008

Where It’s At (turntables, microphone optional)

GPS-related photo bits:

• Bridge geotagger is a free script that "allows you to inspect, set and/or edit GPS data embedded in photos using a Google Maps interface. It uses the embedded Opera HTML engine in Bridge to display Google Maps."  Very cool, though developer Aldo Hoeben describes it as more technology demo than a full-fledged tool.
  • Firing up the Exposure Flickr-browsing app on my iPhone the other day, I discovered the nearest geotagged image is of "¡Chavelas!," described as "A delicious blend of Modelo, lime juice and a shot of tequila in a
    frozen pimp chalice!"  Thank you, intercontinental technology network, for making my neighborhood seem cool for a minute.
  • Previously: Did you know that Lightroom can call up a Google map to show the coordinates in your images?  So, for that matter, can Photoshop Elements.
  • What about images that lack coordinates?  Can a computer accurately guess where something was shot?  That’s the goal of Carnegie Mellon’s IM2GPS project.  Check out this CNET story for a good summary. [Via Doug Nelson]

Off to look for neighborhood pimp chalices on a Friday eve,

J.

Posted by John Nack at 4:00 PM on July 25, 2008

Comments

• Micah — 11:25 PM on July 25, 2008

My understanding is that Elements uses Yahoo maps (in Flash) rather than Gmaps. You can even export an Adobe Media Gallery based Flash gallery that has a yahoo maps view and host it on your own website
    [Ah yes–thanks for the memory jog. –J.]

• Aaron Spence — 4:36 PM on July 26, 2008

Aldo (Bridge Geotagger) does ledgendary work in the pano realm, he is also the creator of SPiV, a hardware accellerated pano viewer for shockwave.
    For production work the only PC geotagger I know that tags RAW files is http://www.geosetter.de In addition to providing a LAT/LONG into the RAW EXIF it will also provide elevation, which is brilliant. And it’s free… but if you use it for anything serious… donate :)
    [Cool, thanks for the tip. –J.]

• Peter Krogh — 5:55 AM on July 27, 2008

There’s something goofy about the geotagger, and I’d use it with caution. Images that located correctly with Lightroom’s GPS tool are not correct when viewed with the Geotagger.
    [Yeah, i noticed that it thought your Tasmania shots were shot a number of miles offshore. –J.]
    I suspect it’s something to do with decimal coordinates being confused with minutes and seconds notation, but I’m not sure.
    Should not be hard for the developers to figure out what’s up.
    Peter

• Bill — 1:40 PM on July 28, 2008

Showing geotag info is great, but will the ability to geotag pictures going to come to Lightroom? Jeff Barnes’ plug-in (http://code.google.com/p/geotag-lightroom-plugin/) looks like a good start, but it seems the development has stalled.
    Full disclosure: I haven’t installed the 2.0 beta, so please school me if it is there.
    –Bill

• Chad Taylor — 2:17 PM on July 28, 2008

Hey John…long time listener, first time caller:
    I’d love to see a preference option to open Google Earth instead of Google Maps from Lightroom. It’s way more slick to open up some landscape photos and see the original terrain in 3D.
    Thanks! -Chad
    [Thanks for the suggestion, Chad. I’ve passed it along to Tom H. –J.]

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)