September 22, 2008
CS4: Sweating the Details
I’m a perfectionist, and I deeply, viscerally want to smooth & polish every aspect of Photoshop. Doing it all in any one cycle is impossible, but I’m proud to say we’ve put a ton of effort into sweating the details in CS4.
You’re going to see tons of flashier features in other write-ups, and of course I’ll cover them here, but for this cycle I want to lead with the little stuff–things you might not read about otherwise, but which can make a big difference while working. Read on for the details.
(CS)4 On The Floor!
I’m delighted to say that Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop CS4 Extended, along with the entire Creative Suite 4 lineup, have been officially announced! I’ll have a ton to share over the days and weeks ahead, to be grouped under the new CS4 category, and the big product webcast is due shortly; there’s still time to sign up to watch. In the meantime, tons of good resources are going live as I type:
- The Photoshop User guys have posted a comprehensive set of videos showing off what’s new in Photoshop.
- Imaging Resource posts an in-depth set of descriptions & screenshots.
- Rob Galbraith posts a nice, concise list for photographers.
- I spoke to CNET’s Stephen Shankland about GPU acceleration in CS4, among other things, and I recorded a podcast with ZoomIn’s Aanarav Sareen.
- Uwe Steinmuller of Outback Photo brings his photographer’s eye to the release.
- Former Illustrator PM Mordy Golding has posted a detailed overview of AI CS4. (At first glance I didn’t think they had a lot planned for this rev, but dig a little detail and you’ll find a lot to like. I say this as a very long-time Illustrator user.)
- Deke McClelland has posted CS4 Buy Or Die, “a sassy, no-holds-barred, is-this-thing-worth-buying-or-not review.”
- Colin Smith of PhotoshopCafe has posted a Photoshop CS4 Learning Site.
- Chris Orwig has posted an overview of the release.
- Lynda.com is adding CS4 content, including an effective demo of Content-Aware Scaling.
- Richard Harrington & crew have posted a couple hours’ worth of video training plus other materials at CSFour.com.
I’ll keep updating this list as I see new links appear (and feel free to suggest good ones via the comments).
Monday Photography: Bright lights, big pixels
- From the Big Picture:
- The NYT features a nice interactive panorama from yesterday’s final game at Yankee Stadium.
- [Emit low whistle] Boy, cameras are good these days. The Online Photographer makes that point in a really concise way.
- "Strobist Jet Pack" or "Dignity-B-Gone" machine? You decide.
- A group in Israel is teaching photography to the blind. [Via Adam Pratt]
- In "The Process-Enacted Mutoscope," 987 Polaroids make up a (short) original film.
- Blowed-up pretty: Beautiful toner explosion. [Via]