September 16, 2008

Lightroom Exposed

So, how is the world’s most popular 64-bit Mac software built?  At the recent Mac-dev C4 conference, Lightroom project lead Troy Gaul presented an inside look at the structure of the application.  Hopefully a recording of his talk will be posted soon to flesh out the details, though I don’t have an ETA for that.

Posted by John Nack at 12:23 PM on September 16, 2008

Comments

• Brandon — 1:04 PM on September 16, 2008

64bit Windows is vastly superior.
    8GB Ram + Vista x64 + Lightroom 2 64 + Nikon D200 = Sweetness

• Thomas Witt — 1:42 PM on September 16, 2008

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that Adobe practices Scrum and Agile in the Lightroom Team. I’d be interested if that applies to Photoshop (or other big products at Adobe as well) … maybe you could elaborate a bit about this topic in your blog?
    [Sure; check this out. –J.]

• John Esberg — 7:12 PM on September 16, 2008

I would love to see/hear the recording!

• Peter — 2:57 AM on September 17, 2008

That was very interesting, I’d love to see a recording as well. And please make sure to post here is such a presentation is ever made about Photoshop.
    I wish it went more into deatail in terms of what the LR team’s experiences with the performance of C++ vs. Lua vs. maybe other scripting languages like Python are in a practical application, and where Lightrooms main performance bottlenecks are, though.
    The presentation says that Lightroom/Win32 has (had?) problems with memory fragmentation. Have they tried using a product like SmartHeap instead of the compiler’s default heap implementation? I’ve heard some people are getting really great results using it, including significant performance improvements, but I haven’t had the chance to try it myself.

• Pedro Estarque — 6:41 PM on September 18, 2008

I’m very curious to see this year’s C4 too. I hope it doesn’t take Wolf the same 6 months it took him to post the videos last year.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)