October 17, 2008
Where did Extract & others features go?
We’ve been doing a great deal of architectural rework in Photoshop to make good things possible now and in the future (64-bit, a new GPU architecture, better localization support, etc.). That means we have to comb through older features and determine whether it’s worth investing in modernizing them, or whether the time would be better spent elsewhere.
- Our plan is to replace the Extract plug-in with improved versions of its constituent pieces, built directly into Photoshop. Some of these pieces (e.g. Refine Edge) are in place now while others are still in development. In the meantime Extract remains available as an optional download.
- Picture Package, Contact Sheet, Web Photo Gallery, and PDF Presentation have been replaced by the new Output module in Bridge CS4. Of these the first three are in the optional download package, while PDF Presentation no longer works in CS4.
- Photomerge remains part of PSCS4, but the interactive dialog (where you can drag photos around instead of just letting Photoshop do the work automatically) has been moved to the optional downloads package. (Thanks for the feedback on that subject.)
- The Mac TWAIN plug-in is quite long in the tooth and has been moved into the optional downloads, as has the Pattern Maker plug-in.
- The download also contains optional plug-ins (Bigger Tiles) and content (Textures for Texturizer, WPG presets) that used to ship on the product disc.
As noted earlier, it’s never fun removing/retiring functionality lest we break an existing workflow. Having said that, we need to prune the app to reduce redundancy and to make sure effort goes into the most valuable tools. Hopefully we’re striking a good balance.