October 29, 2008

Lenticular adventures in CS4

One of the subtleties of Photoshop CS4 Extended‘s 3D support is the
way it facilitates creation of images for use in lenticular printing.   According to Wikipedia,

Lenticular printing is a technology in which a lenticular lens is used to produce images with an illusion of depth, or the ability to change or move as the image is viewed from different angles. Examples of lenticular printing include prizes given in Cracker Jack snack boxes that showed flip and animation effects such as winking eyes, and modern airport advertising graphics that change their message depending on the viewing angle… Recent advances in large-format presses have allowed for oversized lenses to be used in lithographic lenticular printing.

Adobe evangelist Russell Brown has gotten really excited about using Photoshop to enable creation of lenticular prints, and he’s posted a great set of tutorials and sample files to help get you up to speed.  Even better, he’s used the forthcoming Configurator utility to create a panel (see screenshot) that walks you through the steps and actually executes them on demand, right within Photoshop.  Super cool.

Posted by John Nack at 2:16 PM on October 29, 2008

Comments

• JonPad — 6:33 PM on October 29, 2008

That’s awesome. I previewed some moving lenticulars, that were backlit. I can’t wait to make some of my own.
    They’ve come a long way from those moving religious images my dad has in his room.

• Rich Gibson — 8:13 PM on October 29, 2008

Stop teasing me… and let me have Configurator now!! An aside, I just love the fact that Adobe is about to give away a product that sounds like it was developed by Phineas & Ferb. Anyway… I want to start configurating already…
    Seriously, this rocks and kudos to you guys for having both the foresight and fortitude to do something that, very likely, will be the norm in large apps 5-10 years from now.

• Nicolas — 11:57 PM on October 29, 2008

Really Cool, but when will be launch Configurator??? We can’t wait anymore ^^
    [Heh–give it another two weeks or so to bake. –J.]

• Jean-Claude Tremblay — 3:41 PM on October 30, 2008

Hi John… Thanks for the link and announcement to Dr Brown lenticular tutorial. Amazing stuff indeed and cool Configurator panel!

• Brad Bartkus — 12:05 PM on November 05, 2008

Lenticular has been around for quite some time and due to advances in computer to plate technologies, better lens material, and advances in interlacing software it’s only going to get better.
    Lenticular lenses are even being used for 3d computer monitors, cell phones, etc. for 3d video without the need for those lame glasses.

• Alexandra West — 1:38 PM on November 05, 2008

I’m so excited to see what kinds of art that everyone come up with!
    I have FREE sets of printed “Lenticular Effects Cards” cards available to anyone who wants them, so you can see the effects (morph, 3d, flip, etc…) in person. Just shoot me an email with your address.
    Also, if you want to share your work a public forum for critique and input from other designers, you can join the Facebook “Lenticular Designers Forum” or the “Lenticular” group on LinkedIn.
    Let the fun begin!

• Angus — 6:20 AM on November 12, 2008

I saw at Russel’s website that PS CS4 only makes ‘3D Lenticulars’. Any idea whether ‘Flip animation Lenticulars’ will be added?
    As an update, plugin, or do we wait for CS5?
    This is a major deciding point for us whether or not to upgrade to Extended or not.
    Thanks, Angus.

• eduwin fuentes — 5:34 AM on November 24, 2008

Eduwin Fuentes
    eduwindows@hotmail.com
    311 8589858
    311 8589858
    Tranv 1C Este # 6-79
    Bogota
    Colombia
    Cundinamarca
    Lenticulares Bogota
    DiseƱo Publicitario 3D Lenticular con (SOLFE)
    Fotografia Entrelazada con Sistema Optico Lenticular
    Estamos ofreciendo capacitacion en una forma diferente de hacer publicidad

• dave — 6:19 PM on March 02, 2009

Where can I find inexpensive plastic lenticular lenses to put on top of my photoshop lenticular designs?

• Ben — 5:40 PM on October 01, 2009

Hey, the Microlens company is about the only one I’ve heard anyone get small quantities of lenticular screens – and they were pretty helpful in emails I’ve had with them too (shipping was a bit much for me), unless you want to buy some sort of lenticular frames or with other software or order prints

• Lenticular Printing of San Jose — 9:25 PM on September 07, 2010

We have a tutorial to create lenticular prints using barebone Photoshop by explaining the interlacing algorithm. If you understand the algorithm, you can use Photoshop to make lenticular prints without any plug-ins or filters.

• Lenticular Printing of San Jose — 9:26 PM on September 07, 2010

Oh, sorry, here is the link,

• Mike — 5:00 PM on August 10, 2011

Wow, thanks for the information!

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)