November 14, 2008

CS4 & solid-state drives (SSDs)

There’s an misleading line in the system requirements listed for Photoshop CS4 and other Adobe CS4 products: contrary to the statement that CS4 “cannot install on… flash-based storage devices,” the apps install and run perfectly well on solid-state drives (SSDs), such as those available in the MacBook Air and the new Sony VAIO.

I’m told that the line was written to let customers know that they can’t install on removable flash-based media such as Compact Flash cards.  (Yes, people try weird things, then get mad when those things don’t work.)

On a related note, I expect to get some questions about performance impact of using SSDs together with Photoshop.  I don’t have any numbers or recommendations to share at the moment, though our performance testing lead has been testing a high-end Fusion-IO drive (160GB,
~$7200 retail).

Posted by John Nack at 2:37 PM on November 14, 2008

Comments

• daniele di stanio — 3:46 PM on November 14, 2008

Thanks again, it was scary due to these drives expensive nature. Here in Italy CS4 will ship december 1st, if somebody want I can test on my Dell M1330 with a “consumer” 64gb SSD (Samsung). Drop me a mail if you’re looking for more results. Bye, daniele

• Carlesa25 — 10:34 AM on November 15, 2008

Hello: I have installed the test version in an unit SSD Patriot of 64 GB Windows XP-SP3 and it works perfectly.
    What doesn’t work is the change of unit of disk caché when you are not administrating user, CS4 (also in CS3) when restarting cannot give permits and the program miscarries. Do they plan to solve it?. Greetings

• nikolite — 11:03 AM on November 15, 2008

Ждём с нетерпением когда продукт появиться в России.
    > We look forward when the product to appear in Russia.

• Greg K — 5:58 PM on November 15, 2008

I’m curious if you’ve tried installing CS4 on a flash drive configured with Mojopac? I read that since Mojopac 2 has come out, it’s possible to install an application to the profile on whatever device Mojopac is formatted on? (That has to be a R-W device, of course!)
    While I recognize that a jump drive communicating over the universal serial bus is inherently slower than a hard drive on a PCI bus, the portability factor is immensely appealing to me. Theoretically, I could install one of my licensed copies of CS4 to a big fat jump drive, log in at work with my Mojopac profile, and then work on something of my own in my spare time without lugging a big computer around.
    (You’d think I own shares or am some kind of plant for Mojopac — I’m not, I just like the idea a lot. I think that someday everyone will just have an on-line profile that they access from anywhere on any reasonable device, and that software like Mojopac is just a stepping stone in that direction.)
    [It's an interesting idea, and I certainly see the appeal, but this isn't a supported configuration at the moment. --J.]

• Martin — 12:51 AM on November 16, 2008

yes,it’s a misleading. but usually we overlook this instruction actually.

• Peter W — 5:55 AM on November 23, 2008

We’ve been running CS4 on a OCZ 64GB solid state drive on vista 64 bit. works perfectly.

• coolpixi — 6:58 AM on March 13, 2009

Hello, have been on the CeBIT 2009. Great people at the intel/Adobe-boot. With a big bunch of tipps I ordered yesterday this setup:
    Core i7 940/2.93G 8MB QPI DDR3 LGA1366
    LG Blu-ray/DVD±RW [SATA] GGW-H20L-RB BLACK Retail
    PSU ATX 620W Corsair CMPSU-620HXEU
    PNY PCIe 1536MB Quadro CX Messeaktion
    INTEL X25-E 32GB SATA II SSD 2,5inch SLC High Performance
    2x DDR3-1600 6GB Corsair/Core i7 Kit/CL8/KIT-3x2GB/DominatorDHX
    P6T Deluxe V2 LGA1366 Intel X58
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000
    Vista Ultimate 64
    Photoshop CS4 Extended
    Well I’m looking forward to this and I will post my experiences of this System.
    cheers, Daniel

• sohbet — 11:21 PM on April 26, 2009

• chat — 12:15 PM on December 03, 2009

4 We’ve been running CS4 on a OCZ 64GB solid state drive on vista 64 bit. works perfectly

• sohbet — 2:27 AM on January 08, 2010

• Sohbet — 7:20 PM on January 10, 2010

four We have been running CS4 on a OCZ 32GB solid state drive on vista 128 bit. works perfectly

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)