November 12, 2008
Science Friday: From Mexican caves to the Sun
- NatGeo features a photo gallery from inside Mexico’s breathtaking Cave of Crystals. In an accompanying video, writer Neil Shea and photographer Carsten Peter discuss the extreme heat & other challenges involved in working in the cave.
- Disturbances in the Force: The NYT features an interesting article and captivating photo gallery of “The Mysterious Cough, Caught on Film”–using photography to capture gas dynamics.
- The paper also features a narrated gallery of the Nikon Small World competition winners. If I could paint something as beautiful as these marine diatoms, I’d be a happy guy.
- Flash evangelist Lee Brimelow has figured out how to create abstract backgrounds with a cheap children’s microscope.
- What’s not to dig about a protein sculpture inspired by Vitruvian Man?