January 12, 2009

Frailty & Jibber Jabber

I sure extract value from the MacBooks Adobe has bought for my use: as I log 12 hours/day on them (sad? impressive? both?), my hands tend to wear crescent-shaped marks into the finish. Now, however, my 17″ MBP’s ability to take a charge has crapped out, meaning that the slightest jiggle to the power cord means instant system shut down. Gooood times! Thus I type this from my wife’s 13″ MB. It makes me realize how dependent I am on a single piece of machinery.
I’m excited about the 17″ system Apple announced last week. The ability to stuff in 8GB of RAM is particularly welcome, though for the $1200 price of adding those last four gigs, you could buy two complete Mac Minis (or a regular MacBook plus an AppleTV!). Mmm, yeah, gonna sit tight on that option for a little while. I was also a little disappointed not to see a quad-core processor option (Acer will sell you one with an 18″ screen for $1800). On the other hand, I suppose I don’t need Whopper-style grill marks on my thighs (hard to explain at swim lessons).
In any case, here’s hoping my regular machine can be brought back to life soon (as it contains all my blog drafts), and that the new ones start shipping soon. In the meantime, Jason D. Moore has just posted an interview we did over the weekend, in case you’re interested.

Posted by John Nack at 8:28 AM on January 12, 2009

Comments

• ChrissyOne — 11:13 AM on January 12, 2009

I’ll be concerned when I kill a battery on one of the new MBPs and I can’t just order another one to swap, or have to do Open Heart to get to it. I’m sure they’ll make it just as easy to crack open as a Mini. :'(
    [I'm wondering about RAM upgradeability. There's no way I can stomach $1200 for 4GB of RAM (at $300/GB, it's 4x the price of other RAM, even on the Apple store), but I do want it when the price drops a bit. I called the Apple 800 number & was told by the rep that one can indeed swap out RAM after the fact, but she didn't strike me as the most authoritative source, and now I'm getting some mixed signals. Hmm--need more info here. --J.]

• Alan — 1:30 PM on January 12, 2009

All the new Apple laptops can have 8 gigs of RAM,
    [That's not my understanding; see the tech specs page. --J.]
    tho over 6 gigs of RAM, issues can arise. Perhaps the 17″ issue address this.
    Buying RAM from Apple is always a ripoff. My favorite is Apple selling 750GB hard drives for $300, when they can be bought for $80.
    [Other RAM prices on the Apple site seem more competitive with third parties (roughly $75/gig). --J.]

• Roy Evans — 7:16 PM on January 12, 2009

Don’t give up on Layer Comps –“ *seems* people should love, but which go largely unused (e.g. Layer Comps, the How To content under the Help menu).” I just sent out two separate web sit proofs to two clients. I used the Layer Comps to Jpeg script, and then used Acrobat Portfolio to send the clients a pdf. It would have been even easier if you could do it in one step in Photoshop.
    PS the Portfolio in Acrobat needs some more options (formatting in the description section, adjusting the size of the image in the carousal Layout for and example.

• Eric — 10:25 AM on January 13, 2009

I suspect RAM is replaced under the keyboard as it has been for a while with the pro laptops. I buy most of my RAM (and for the Macs at work) from a very good third party for much better prices than Apple.
    I suspect the price of RAM is high because it’s a new kind for Apple? I thought that was strange too. Especially considering I can put 8 gigs of RAM in my Mac Pro for less than $200.
    And don’t forget the new MBP 17″ has the matte screen option!

• Neil — 12:41 PM on January 13, 2009

I seem to remember a key popping off your last macbook when some new ones were released. sabotage!
    [Hah—I know! ;-) I swear I'm innocent, though. A better saboteur would've waited until the new gear was actually shipping. --J.]

• JACK LARSON — 1:41 PM on January 13, 2009

I have a MacBook purchased in January 2007 and have been thinking about upgrading. Thanks to your comments, I’ll wait a little longer. Jack
    [I don't see a reason to wait, and in fact I got confirmation this morning that my order has gone through. I'm just waiting on the RAM upgrade until the prices become more reasonable. I'd like to get more authoritative confirmation that yes, RAM *can* be upgraded post-purchase, but in the meantime I need the gear and am forging ahead. --J.]

• Alan — 12:01 PM on January 14, 2009

Check it out:
    I rarely trust Apple’s hardware specs. Instead I try to find the manufaturer’s specs and hope Apple hasn’t disabled anyting. I had 6 internal hard drives in my MacPro. There are 2 additonal SATA ports on the motherboard that are hidden underneath the fan casing. Another example of Apple monkey play is when I took apart my DVD burner and found out that Apple had installed Sony firmware, but the burner was actually an NEC and would read/write faster than Apple had set it.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)