February 28, 2009

Covers, best & worst

The CD Cover Meme is pretty terrific, challenging you to combine randomly selected Wikipedia topics, quotations, and images from Flickr into album covers. Check out some of the results. (Here’s my personal fave of the moment.) [Via Kent Christiansen]

Elsewhere in cover-land:

Posted by John Nack at 10:17 AM on February 28, 2009

Comments

• Doug Nelson — 1:11 PM on February 28, 2009

I miss album covers. CD covers just aren’t the same.
    The work of Hipgnosis and others back in the 70s are why I got into photography to begin with.

• imajez — 4:23 PM on February 28, 2009

Thanks for the Book Cover Archive – I simply love book covers, more interesting than album covers these days. 12cm is not the same as 12″! And avoiding [size] inuendo’s completely is one of the covers rejected for the worst covers of the year, must be the cover least likely to be displayed prominently in a store. Ever [Amon Tobin's].
    Oddly enough in the first 250 odd covers I looked at, I have just 3 of them [I have some of the other books but with different covers]and all 3 are in a row and are for books by different authors.

• Tim G. — 4:24 PM on February 28, 2009

This meme troubles me because many of the photos taken from Flickr are copyright protected, all rights reserved. This isn’t “fair use” and while it’s all in good fun, I don’t think it’s right to take and use other people’s work without asking, particularly when they’ve indicated they reserve their copyright to the images.
    [Good points. It would be much better if the search could be constrained to items that creators have flagged with a CC license. --J.]

• imajez — 4:40 PM on February 28, 2009

Interestingly the box art produced by Criterion, looks far more like Book covers than film posters. Maybe thats a refection on their similar size.

• Igor Petrovic — 8:58 AM on March 01, 2009

FoR the First time,
    JUST T H A N K ‘S
    igrof

• Jamie — 7:43 AM on March 09, 2009

Cheers Guys

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)