May 13, 2009

Old-school imaging: Warhol on the Amiga

Let’s hear it for flood fill! [Via]
I lusted after an Amiga or a Mac back then. It took several years to talk my folks into getting an Apple IIgs (2.8 MHz, suckkaz!). I’m reminded of a tweet I saw yesterday: “Going to take some pictures that will blow your mind today. With an Apple Quicktake. Oh yeah, 0.3 Megapixels of pure digital SEX.”
In other news, David Hockney now draws with an iPhone. I mostly dig the tiny easel that supports it.

Posted by John Nack at 9:48 AM on May 13, 2009

Comments

• Emanuele Cipolloni — 9:09 AM on May 13, 2009

True, I believe no other computer made medreaming like the Amiga. It is sad when I interview 20 years old people that believe the world started with Windows. To be fare I consider the iPhone the C64 of the new century with the capabilities of an Amiga (just upgraded to today’s technology of course….)

• Ed Pouso — 10:57 AM on May 13, 2009

The first computer i ever had was the Apple 2gs limited edition. Later in HS we got an Amiga 3000 for our TV production class.
    [My 7th great teacher (whom we all thought was the man thanks to his yellow IROC-Z, spiked mullet, and cuffed Bugle Boys) rocked the Woz-signature edition of the machine. I always wondered who this mythical demigod “Woz” was. Now I cross Woz Way every day on my way into Adobe. –J.]

• Rob — 11:44 AM on May 13, 2009

I got an Amiga 1000 shortly after it was introduced, having decided it was preferable to the Apple Macintosh that was introduced the previous year. I subsequently upgraded to an Amiga 3000. But by the time of the Amiga I was already an old hand at home PC’s; I bought a TRS-80 on the first day they were in the stores (I’d been eagerly waiting since seeing one demonstrated by a Tandy engineer at a users’ group meeting a few months before).
    Today’s computers make those early models seem like toys, but they did have character–and after having to wait around at university computer centers for batch processing results, having a computer with which one could interact seemed like a miracle.

• Phil Brown — 1:55 PM on May 13, 2009

Thanks for posting that, John. I had several incarnations of my Amiga 2000 and also an Amiga 1200. Brilliant machines and some truly amazing software was available. Easy morphing, direct video output that we used to create title graphics for a community TV station, just a couple of things that spring to mind.
    Nice trip down memory lane to watch that vid.
    Actually, I moved to the Amiga from an Apple IIe. There was so much choice back then (The Atari 800 I had was even quite cool in its own way).
    All of it seemed impossibly powerful compared to the Z-80 processor based machines that were my first taste of personal computers a few years before that.
    The world’s more coherent from a business point of view with basically 2 hardware options (and really it’s 1 and a tweaked 1), but I fear that development fromt he hardware side has long suffered as a result (of course, software development must surely have struggled back then attempting to choose a platform and hope it continued to be viable).

• Eddy — 2:18 PM on May 13, 2009

I remember drawing away, with a joystick, pixel by pixel, on my wonderful Commodore 128 — a full 128 KB of RAM, no hard drive, back up to 5″ floppies, and a shoe-box sized modem. Chatting on that thing was a wonder!

• Mark Thomas — 3:35 PM on May 13, 2009

I took this image using a QuickTake 100.
    I was amused to discover that it was one of the few PICT images still hanging around my hard disk. Oddly enough, Photoshop couldn’t open it! It complained that it was not a valid PICT and said that QuickDraw might crash if I attempted to open it. Of course I tried anyway, but no go. However, Preview opened it just fine. Makes you go hmmmmm.
    [Oh, I don’t know, Mark–does it? Apple has been pushing to get us off QuickDraw for years, and now when we’re doing so, you say (implicitly), “You guys suck for not supporting it more.” You want us to move forward but not to let go of the past.
    You can reasonably point out that if Preview can keep that capability, so could PS, but it’s a question of bang for the buck. Feedback on this blog made it pretty clear that PICT is mostly a historical curiosity at this point.
    By the way, speaking of format compatibility, I’d like to know why Apple dropped the ability to read ClarisWorks documents in AppleWorks. Now I can’t access any of my papers from college, and unlike PICT, there don’t appear to be other readers out there. (There weren’t when I searched a while back, at least.) –J.]

• Mark Thomas — 4:20 PM on May 13, 2009

David Hockney now draws with an iPhone.
    Hey, I was sketching at Peet’s Coffee the other day with my girlfriend’s iPod Touch — this is definitely the future!
    [The having a girlfriend part? (Sorry, couldn’t resist. ;-P) –J.]

• Mark Thomas — 7:48 PM on May 13, 2009

The having a girlfriend part?
    Only if she keeps letting me play with her toys.…

• Mark Thomas — 7:59 PM on May 13, 2009

I actually didn’t mean to be snide with my hmmmmm. I just meant that it was curious.
    [Ah, cool; sorry to have been defensive. –J.]
    If Preview can open the PICT but Photoshop can’t, does this mean that Preview is not tapping into QuickDraw in order to translate PICTs? Preview is a cocoa app. Just wondering what the implications are. Pixelmator can open the PICT too. What graphics library are they getting this ability from, I wonder?
    At any rate, I support the killing off of PICT support. It really is an old format that’s basically not worth using anymore.

• Chris Cox — 9:26 PM on May 13, 2009

The Quicktake software installed a custom codec for it’s images. I’m not sure that codec was ever ported to MacOS X.

• Roger Howard — 10:09 AM on May 14, 2009

I’m pretty sure GraphicConverter, even on OSX, can handle QuickTake PICTs without any other tools, but I no longer have any of those files to test it – IIRC, I converted them all, with GC, to TIFFs 4 years ago.
    I have no problem with Photoshop eliminating support for these files – I really don’t think obscure file format support is Photoshop’s mandate… for that, we have Debabelizer, GraphicConverter, and others. I’d rather Adobe’s efforts be put elsewhere.

• Silence7 — 10:41 AM on May 18, 2009

Bought a refurbed Amiga in 88-89? With the 512kb upgrade chip, And Digiview/Digipaint Being able to scan things in color, doing the color seperations by manually turning the color wheel on the B/W CCTV camera between scans.. Man those were good times. 20mb, yes I said MB hard drive with enclosure, almost $600, that part was not fun….

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)