October 09, 2009

Adobe’s Photoshop.com iPhone app goes live

I’m pleased to see that Photoshop.com Mobile for iPhone has gone live on the App Store (see screenshots).
[Update: Don't be confused by the name: the app is useful for on-phone editing, not just uploading/sharing.]
According to the product page, with the app you can:

• Transform your photos with essential edits like crop, rotate and flip.
  • Correct and play with color by adjusting the saturation and tint, enhancing the exposure and vibrancy, and converting images to black and white.
  • Use the Sketch tool to make photos look like drawings, and Soft Focus to give photos a subtle blur for artistic effect.
  • Apply dramatic changes with effects such as Warm Vintage, Vignette and Pop. Edits or changes can be undone or redone so you can experiment without the worry of losing your original photo.
  • Upload photos to Photoshop.com. The app provides the ultimate digital photo wallet, providing access to your entire Photoshop.com library. Photoshop.com offers 2GB of free online photo storage (equal to more than 1,500 photos).

The app is free. Happy shooting!

Posted by John Nack at 11:15 AM on October 09, 2009

Comments

• Brett W — 10:57 AM on October 09, 2009

Sorry, but I still think putting the Photoshop name on either the online or iPhone versions of this tool is disrespectful to Photoshop without any ability to use drawing/masking/dodge/burn tools. Adobe Rome, sneak-peeked at MAX, is much more in line with what a true Photoshop “Lite” should be.

• Nick Hampson — 10:59 AM on October 09, 2009

It would be nice if it wasnt just in the US store (no access from UK)

• Wooster — 11:11 AM on October 09, 2009

Mm, I have to admit, my expectations were really low for this app. The iPhone/iPod Touch is an amazing device, but it’s better for small tasks so a full featured image editor. Some tasks are better suited for larger screens.
    That said, for simple adjustments, this app is just dandy. I enjoy being able to use your finger across the screen to adjust the levels of whatever adjustment I happen to be running as opposed to a slider. It’s disorienting at first, but the learning curve is over as soon as it’s there.
    I was worried when I saw the name ‘photoshop.com’ attached to the product name. “Oh no, not another application disguised as simple webkit window.” But no, it works fine without an internet connection handy.
    My final opinion of this app is like what I was thinking of seeing the new Star Trek Movie. I had a predisposition that I was going to hate Kirk (because I already hated the Shatner Kirk). I became infinitely impressed that I didn’t hate New Kirk as much as I thought I was, and therefore actually impressed with him.
    With the limitations on the screen size/platform, you folks at Adobe really did a decent job. *hats off*

• Mike Reys — 11:19 AM on October 09, 2009

Would give it a try were it available outside US.
    [Yeah--rules differ around the world about what can be uploaded/shared, and Adobe Legal is trying to avoid having any employees getting thrown into a proverbial (or literal) Turkish prison. Therefore progress on this stuff is slow and painful. --J.]

• Stormchild — 11:52 AM on October 09, 2009

It’s available in the Canadian store.

• Steve Palmer — 12:30 PM on October 09, 2009

Why is this US store only?!

• Wayne — 1:02 PM on October 09, 2009

How about writing one for the Palm Pre?

• David — 1:23 PM on October 09, 2009

The home page on Photoshop.com is too much fun. I just spent 10mins seeing how high (via timer) I could fling an image.

• elspub — 1:32 PM on October 09, 2009

It’s great for what it is. That said, I’d love to see a lightroom iphone app. Functionality could be pretty similiar to PS.com mobile, but it would focus on integration with LR instead of PS.com. Raw format would be an issue, i imagine, but maybe the app could work with with the jpg “thumbnails”
    The killer use would be being able to make adjustments to a photo in your lightroom, take a snapshot, and be able to add that snapshot “recipe” back to the lightroom original. Wifi synching?…

• Alexander Reyes — 1:46 PM on October 09, 2009

Why Adobe’s Photoshop.com iPhone app its now avalible for Peruvian Store? or Its an iTunes Problem? Anyone have the answer. http://twitpic.com/kvf0k

• Alexander Reyes — 2:21 PM on October 09, 2009

Correction::
    http://twitpic.com/kvf0k Why Adobe’s Photoshop.com iPhone app its NOT avalible for Peruvian Store? or Its an iTunes Problem? Anyone knows…

• AussieKen — 12:00 AM on October 10, 2009

Not available in the Australian iTunes either. grrrr

• Pauly7 — 12:08 AM on October 10, 2009

Not available in ANY country outside of the USA. Surely the Adobe legal-team could nut out access for the top-5 of their regions. Hell, even the UK and Australia couldn’t be any more work than dealing with US access.

• Kimble — 12:28 AM on October 10, 2009

This is just an amazing show of how stupid an app you can get for the iphone. Take an awful photo on your awful iphone and then edit it and post it to a website where no one will look at it.
    I can do all the same things on my almost 2 year old phone and post it wherever I want not just to photoshop.com.
    Adobe, shame on you. You really should be turning your back on Apple. Especially since they’ve refused your best product (flash) on their platform. Concentrate on more open platforms like Symbian, Blackberry and Android.

• Armand — 12:29 AM on October 10, 2009

Just curious – is this done in Flash CS5 and exported to iPhone, or is it written in Objective C?

• sikisci — 12:46 AM on October 10, 2009

Not available in the Australian iTunes either

• Holger_Germany — 2:15 AM on October 10, 2009

Congratulations! Good job! With sharpening, border styles and more upload options, the App would be nearly perfect.

• Mike — 2:16 AM on October 10, 2009

“The app provides the ultimate digital photo wallet,”
    Uhm no, that would be Flickr. Why does Adobe feel the need to step into EVERY market there is? It’s ok guys, you don’t have to you know. You could just focus on the core products, perhaps you’ve heard that there are some bugs?
    It’s amazing what a train wreck of a company Adobe has become

• Peter — 2:33 AM on October 10, 2009

I’m kind of torn I must say. On the one hand, it looks like a very useful tool, much better than what is available. On the other hand, I have had the chance to use Pocket Artist on Windows Mobile several years ago on a much inferior platform with inferior hardware that offered pretty much all the important features of Photoshop 5.5, including tiling-based memory management, layers and masks. And I could pop in a memory card from my DSLR and check the images right away. So in terms of workflow and functionality, this seems like a step back, but in terms of what is available on the iPhone/iPod platform, it looks like a great step forward. And you simply can’t beat that price. It will definitely make its way onto my iPod, but considering that the iPod/iPhone has more processor speed and memory than the computers the full Photoshop ran on not so many years ago, it looks like this is by no means the limit of what’s possible.

• Khaled — 2:56 AM on October 10, 2009

Why isn’t it available in the Saudi Arabia iTunes App Store?
    /SaudiMac

• Free iPhone 3GS — 3:17 AM on October 10, 2009

Fantastic, the more quality apps we get for the iPhone the better!

• SD — 3:52 AM on October 10, 2009

OMG its like dream come true for me…I daily work with images and I have iPhone and a blog tooo…most importantly it is free…hurray…

• SK — 3:57 AM on October 10, 2009

Please make this available in all stores!

• Abdullah AlJaber — 4:00 AM on October 10, 2009

it’s amazing App, but it’s not available in the Saudi Arabia
    could you please Allow in Saudi Arabia..thanks.

• AlphabUX — 5:00 AM on October 10, 2009

I second the call to release it internationally (please don’t forget France).
    And come on! the legal argument does not make sense, Flickr and everybody else have no issue. At least for the European countries, there is no reason not to release it.
    Also: if uploading is the legal issue, I’ll be happy to have a lite version just for local editing, as this is what I’m looking for mainly.
    PS. John, this just show I’m eager to try it and frustrated :-)

• AlphabUX — 5:03 AM on October 10, 2009

Would love to know that too, as phothshop.com is flash based.

• LOLZ — 6:37 AM on October 10, 2009

Pre? I LOL’d

• robert — 6:59 AM on October 10, 2009

Very nice start! Good to see Adobe with some breath.
    I understand the effort behind the pshop.com affair, but this app could be more useful with more u/l options.

• Blain Hamon — 9:05 AM on October 10, 2009

Not flash. This app is 3-4MB whereas something as simple as “ThatRoachGame” was 9+MB in size.
    (A quick peek confirms that it doesn’t keep all the resources in the executable, does use an lproj localization folder, and the executable itself is less than 1MB.)
    Also, what’s with the shoe spam?
    [I was on the road & couldn't shoot down incoming spam. --J.]

• panacea — 9:41 AM on October 10, 2009

The app isn’t available in the Antarctica app store.
    Does anyone know where on the web I could buy some decent shoes?

• Jon Lang — 10:43 AM on October 10, 2009

Second that!

• Danté De Rycke — 11:14 AM on October 10, 2009

Same story for the Belgian store

• Marten — 11:29 AM on October 10, 2009

Here you can download the Photoshop.com app..;)

• Prison Guard from Istanbul, Turkey — 3:56 PM on October 10, 2009

What a nice comment. Watching too much “Midnight Express”, are we? Upgrade to “Schindler’s List” dude.

• Patrick Gibson — 6:30 PM on October 10, 2009

Pretty decent photo-editing app for the iPhone! I hope to see a Pro version which would include at the very least the ability to adjust levels.

• Apple software community — 5:09 AM on October 11, 2009

Of course the mobile version of photoshop won’t be nearly as capable as it’s desktop counterpart, but I think this is a very cool app that has tons of potential. The iPhone just keeps changing the game!

• Ky — 6:51 PM on October 12, 2009

Please release for Australian store.

• Red Apple — 10:24 AM on October 13, 2009

I just took a dump behind the couch.

• jbdean — 8:56 PM on October 14, 2009

Only thing I don’t like about it is the tint. It’s really not a tinter as much as a colorizer. Tint should tweak the colors in the image, not change all of the colors to just one color.

• image clipping — 9:08 PM on October 14, 2009

Really great application. Thanks for sharing.

• owen — 6:34 AM on October 16, 2009

what ‘legal issues’ are involved with people uploading photos to a website from their own phone??!!
    the world is insane and lawyers are to blame for it
    just do it

• Mp — 1:19 AM on October 20, 2009

Then they shouldn’t release the app until they have short the legal issues first out. I hate when companies like adobe label their users second class sitizens. Practices like this are disrespectful towards loyal customers !
    [What are you talking about? Adobe is *not* releasing the app in geographies where the legal issues aren't sorted out. --J.]

• Waxlove — 2:10 AM on October 26, 2009

Yes indeed! I feel discriminated! Were is that app? NL user

• r4 ds — 10:17 PM on November 10, 2009

You should release this for all countries in word it is very necessary and useful to company as well as to the user

• fr — 10:59 PM on December 11, 2009

Hello John.
    Found time to try iphone photoshop app and it’s great. There may be a very nice feature missing : resizing the image to a number of pixels.
    I have this client who now has a blog and i wanted to avoid him seeking through many apps when uploading pictures. So iphone photoshop was nice :) He’d take a picture, apply the effect i’d prepared for him (tint/redefine), adjust contrast/lum, set the crop on the image, save it…
    But at what size ?
    I miss an output size option, either like in image menu/image size or in save for web/image size.
    So he could then save his images right to the good size.
    But i’m heading for the feature request dept :)

• david baer — 8:50 PM on December 15, 2009

Cash Making Opportunities – The Beginning The working life is already tough enough, but the worries of being out of work was even tougher. The unsecured working environment have prompted me to search the internet for an alternative source of extra income so that I could learn how to Make Money Work for me and be Financially Independent. I listed down a number of Free Internet Business Opportunity Ideas while researching ways how people earn money online while working-from-home…….

• DK — 9:01 PM on December 19, 2009

Please develop this app for the Palm Pre. Unlike Apple, Palm will soon support Flash!
    Thank you!

• henrylow — 1:36 AM on January 05, 2010

Affiliate Marketing is a performance based sales technique used by companies to expand their reach into the internet at low costs. This commission based program allows affiliate marketers to place ads on their websites or other advertising efforts such as email distribution in exchange for payment of a small commission when a sale results.
    onlinemarketing

• henrylow — 3:18 AM on January 12, 2010

How To Make money with affiliate programs Today. Affiliate marketing is the easier and probably the most effective method to make money from the internet. It is basically, a kind of selling technique where potential buyers from your website are directed to the websites of sellers. For every click, the website owner gets a small commission.

• coetsee — 1:31 AM on January 13, 2010

• henrylow — 3:56 AM on January 22, 2010

• ridwanzero — 1:55 AM on January 23, 2010

If You Are Tired of Wasting All Your Money on Online Advertising for Your Websites… “Discover the Proven and Simple Methods Used By the Pros to Get 100% Free Online Advertising Traffic Your Website!” It does not matter if your looking for just a couple of hundred extra hits a month or to pump your website full of as much traffic as you possibly.

• Kost Enloseapps — 10:03 AM on March 22, 2010

We all love the Photoshop.com app!!
    Greets from Germany

• Richard Brookside — 5:57 AM on March 25, 2010

I have been using the iPhone app and its upload feature. Where is the library stored online; what is the URL? I expected to be able to access any uploaded pictures from my computer but I can’t find that option on the adobe.com website (logged in or otherwise).

• richard brookside — 5:59 AM on March 25, 2010

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)