October 07, 2009

PhotoSketch: Internet Image Montage

Oh, that’s rather cool, then:

I’ve seen various experiments at Adobe that fetch & automatically composite images, but the idea of basing searches on sketches is new to me. Details are in the researchers’ paper (PDF).
Almost completely unrelated, but in the spirit of cool image science, during last night’s sneak peeks at Adobe MAX, Dan Goldman showed a little taste of “PatchMatch” (“content-aware healing”) integrated into Photoshop. (As always, no promises, this is just a test, yadda yadda.)

Posted by John Nack at 11:30 AM on October 07, 2009

Comments

• crisderaud — 2:50 PM on October 07, 2009

This technology is just awesome. It doesn’t get any more intuitive then this!

• Steve Laskevitch — 4:59 PM on October 07, 2009

Several colleagues and I have discussed this for years. OK, mostly fantasized. and no, I won’t show you any of the sketches I’ve got waiting.

• Mary Hodder — 10:15 PM on October 07, 2009

This is actually 10 or 20 yr old technology. I know someone who made a tool like this 10 yrs ago.
    The problem is, most people can’t really imagine what to sketch to work this kind of search, so it’s a niche product, not mass market. But it’s still fun to do it.

• Christian Louboutin Boots — 2:23 AM on October 08, 2009

I don’t really care for the identity gentrifying animations. I really would like to see more video overlays though.

• cartoongoddess — 9:25 AM on October 08, 2009

Well now, that is really neat! Thanks for posting this.

• Pedro Estarque — 10:19 AM on October 08, 2009

If this works as described it will be world changing (well, at least my world). If it works well it could mean some art directors finally sending rough layouts that you can actually grasp. If it works too well it could mean a lot less jobs for a whole lot of people.
    “-Yeah, we need a middle-aged caucasian male holding a scotch in a yacht, a brunette sitting next to him and a corcovado sunset in the background.
    - OK, middle-aged caucasian male, brunette, yacht, corcovado sunset.
    That would be US$ 4.00 sir.”

I don’t dig this kind of gig all that much, but it does provide income, so this feels unsettling thrilling.

• Uggs on sale — 12:33 AM on December 08, 2009

uggs on sale with 50% dicount.All boots in our site are high quality.I think you can buy them with a gift
    for christmas day!

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)