October 20, 2009

Video: New from Adobe Labs, Content-Aware Fill in Photoshop

You like? :-) (Here’s some more background on the technology.) To see higher-res detail, I recommend hitting the full-screen icon or visiting the Facebook page that hosts the video.
As with all such sneak peeks, I have to be really clear in saying that this is just a demo, and as such it’s not a promise that a technology will ship inside a particular version of Photoshop. (As the late Mac columnist Don Crabb told me years ago, “There’s many a slip ‘twixt cup & lip.”) Still, it’s fun to show some of the stuff with which we’re experimenting.

Posted by John Nack at 10:56 PM on October 20, 2009

Comments

• Stephan Bollinger — 10:18 PM on October 20, 2009

oh man, i’ve been waiting for something like this… imagine what this could do retouching skin in portraits?…
    when, when, when can i have it?
    smile!

• ValkyrieStudio — 10:55 PM on October 20, 2009

…want. That is seriously awesome. The healing brush and patch tools are so useful already, but this takes it so such a higher level. I was sold at the wire removal, and it just gets better from there.

• Gil — 11:10 PM on October 20, 2009

Yes! I’ve been waiting for a simple way to remove wires from my outdoor shots. I live in Bucharest and it’s filled with wires hanging all over the place.

• Ramón G Castañeda — 11:29 PM on October 20, 2009

The technology is awesome, and posting it on your blog is most daring and courageous, namely because, if not included in Photoshop 12, I’m definitely skipping that upgrade and will wait for this in Ps 13, or 14 or… ;-)

• Rob — 11:49 PM on October 20, 2009

That’s extraordinary. What the hell, take the rest of the day off.

• ph1x — 11:56 PM on October 20, 2009

Its really cool to see Content Aware function embedded and combined with various tools in CS5.

• Daemon — 1:37 AM on October 21, 2009

Oh my my, but this is like cheating on your school test! There is no more painstakingly retouching with Clone or other tools, this just magically happens.
    Soon, graphic designers will not earn their pay! Click, click, click, I am done, where is my paycheck?

• Kevin Mullins — 3:03 AM on October 21, 2009

Incredible – going to be really useful for wedding photographers like me.

• Anirniq — 4:18 AM on October 21, 2009

That’s great ! But… Will we become useless ? After all, it becomes too easy to make a professional job now !
    It still a great, great work, very convincing results.

• BH — 4:46 AM on October 21, 2009

This advancement is a remarkable improvement, but the demo shows that additional cleanup will often be required. The power plant removal ended up with what looked like a bad clone job; the replacement patch of trees were identical to those on the left. I don’t blame the algorithm at all, but the user will need to address issues of this type in order to get a quality result. Think of it as continuing job security.

• Al Sadeck — 6:34 AM on October 21, 2009

OMG, thats amazing!
    I want it NOW!

• Derek Pell — 8:24 AM on October 21, 2009

Omigod, what a time-saver.

• Rick — 8:53 AM on October 21, 2009

It will never fully replace a professional retoucher. But for people wanting some quick fixes to things it will be just what they need. What you need to worry about then is those clients who go oh I can do that myself with this handy new tool.. But then again do we really want those clients?

• BJN — 10:56 AM on October 21, 2009

It’ll make a professional retoucher more productive. It won’t make anybody into an artist. The powerplant fill didn’t work well, but fixing it would take less time than manually retouching the image before the fill.

• Gilles — 12:22 PM on October 21, 2009

Not sure if it’s contemplated, but adding the option for having a separate picture as the source for the fill would make this even more useful

• Eduardo Moura — 2:47 PM on October 21, 2009

Oh, how I miss the good old days of “layerless” Photoshop and their Floating Selections…
    Well, not really :)

• Alison — 3:26 PM on October 21, 2009

I don’t think so Eduardo :-) I can’t wait till this is added. Any idea which version John ?
    [Yes. ;-) --J.]

• John — 4:58 PM on October 21, 2009

Wow, that was a fun video I can’t wait to clean up some powerlines! :)

• Andy — 5:46 PM on October 21, 2009

Wow, worth an upgrade price alone in time saving. Already thinking about how much i’ll miss removing stray hairs through eyes while i’m playing golf at 2 in the afternoon..

• John Feld — 10:27 PM on October 21, 2009

Amazingly useful. But what a shame you did not use it to delete litter in a park or somewhere, instead of wiping out buffalo.
    This little movie will be seen by thousands of people and could give people good vibes, instead of removing rare animals that enhanced the image.
    Come on Adobe, get with the program.

• Alison — 1:02 AM on October 22, 2009

[Yes. ;-) --J.]
    Are you going to tell us then ? LOL Don’t say no … please tell us, please :-)
    [Sorry, but I've said all I can say for the moment. --J.]

• Sean — 12:59 PM on October 22, 2009

Also, what about the disposal of all the used pixels? Are they going into a landfill somewhere?

• Rory — 1:41 PM on October 22, 2009

I want one of those. A very good reason to still need lightroom AND photoshop.

• Hok — 5:08 AM on October 25, 2009

Wao…. cool. I hope Bridge CS 5 has face recognation engine so that the professional can tag many of their model / family fast and easy like in the Picasa 3.5.

• Rosie Perera — 10:01 PM on October 31, 2009

I want this now!

• Glb uae — 10:02 AM on November 07, 2009

that is very nice but i have quistion how can we ues this tool with photoshop8?
    [I'm never quite sure whether questions like this are serious. It's like saying, "Oh, the new 2010 Accord is more powerful and fuel efficient? Great, but how do I get that in my '93 Accord?" --J.]

• Peter Hearl — 12:14 PM on February 15, 2010

What a great tool. when can I get it?

• Sean H. — 2:31 PM on March 26, 2010

So I haven’t seen the question answered on whether Adobe is going to gouge their faithful customer who just bought CS4 packages this year. Is it going to be a very affordable upgrade or should be free upgrade in some cases especially if you are a college student. Or is Adobe going to gouge every penny they can because that is the American way (wonder why this country is in a recession).

• Paul Pichugin — 11:36 AM on March 29, 2010

Not only have Adobe managed to kill off their main *paying* customers of photoshop (photographers & retouchers) by decreasing the value of what they do.. they have basically made all watermarks completely irrelevant.. stock photography sites have no protection now along with anyone else relying on watermarks to protect their images.

• Tony Sale — 4:58 PM on November 25, 2011

Absolutely brilliant tool, one of the best

• Paul Donovan — 3:00 PM on April 03, 2012

Still my favourite feature to date

• Perth photography — 10:39 PM on June 04, 2012

I love adobe. Thank you for the wondrful products. As photographers we couldnt do what we need to do without you.

• Jacob Pauline — 6:15 AM on June 08, 2012

I just want to say that I use this feature since it was released and consider it as the most important innovation. Thanks guys, you did amazing work.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)